Hacking $18.03 - 2GB Japan MicroSD

xilo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hmmm. so now they're shipping taiwan made sd's. what to do ............i just ordered from them again.
Yup the two I just got today are from taiwan, dont have anything to test them on though, still waiting on volumerate since Nov 26, I dont expect my r4s anytime soon either.
Well I tested mine I ordered on my Slot 2 Supercard. There were no problems with problem games like PoR and that.

helpme

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Why do none of the good shops ship to the UK?

yeah i would like to know were to get 2gb kingston japan in the uk
i bought 1 a while ago from mymemory but it was a taiwan model & im using a SCDSONE so i occasionally get slow down even though ive formated in fat with 64k clusters & set the speed to 20

Talaria

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
Why do none of the good shops ship to the UK? 
frown.gif

- Sam

Same to Australia
frown.gif

Commonwealth countries are totally neglected

Same for NZ. Trying to find a cheap 2gb Kingston locally.

mjunk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For anyone in the US, Best Buy is selling PNY 2GB MicroSDs for $19.99, and they have "SD-C02G" printed and are made in Japan. The sale lasts until Saturday. I haven't tested them yet (going to buy a flashcart today).

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't get what rebranded is.

An OEM factory makes these unlabeled 2GB carts, then Kingston/whatever buys them(assuming its not their personal factory, which its likely not) and puts their logo, makes an adapter, packaging, advertising, etc, rebrands the OEM cart into their own company, so its the same product as some other cards, but just different packaging.

Has anyone bought from these guys? They got some damn cheap DVDs. Printable ones, too.

Don't worry monoprice is very reliable.

soybean84

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I should have posted earlier concerning the best buy deal. Apparently there is also an automatic 20% off if you go to the front of the store checkout instead of the cell phone checkout. The 20% off is for cell phone accessories (I think) but that brings it down to 15.99. Pretty good deal. Jump in if you need one before it the deal ends (today is the last day)

NoSoulX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
blink.gif
I know that you can't get any good things on that low of price. The material that was used in it is probably bad quality. Better be careful and think it over.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
blink.gif
 I know that you can't get any good things on that low of price. The material that was used in it is probably bad quality. Better be careful and think it over.

You'd be surprised. To manufacture these things is actually incredibly cheap, and because it's just a 'rebranded' card, doesn't mean it would be any different.

Not all the time does 'You get what you pay for' apply
smile.gif

I ordered one of these a few days ago, gonna see how good they are.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
blink.gif

You'd be surprised. To manufacture these things is actually incredibly cheap, and because it's just a 'rebranded' card, doesn't mean it would be any different.

Not all the time does 'You get what you pay for' apply
smile.gif

I ordered one of these a few days ago, gonna see how good they are.
I just checked the best buy weekly add. It is true. I am going to go pick on up for my new cart that's coming. I need a fast SD.

Foie2

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Recently, when I called Kingston, the person on the phone told me that Kingston had fixed the slower issue with the Taiwanese cards. So apparently, it doesn't matter where a Kingston is made. He said the both run at the same speed now. That explains how Castlevania runs fine on the Taiwan card...

PanzerWF

OP
Trophies
Website
zetta.l4rge.com
XP
Country
Canada
Recently, when I called Kingston, the person on the phone told me that Kingston had fixed the slower issue with the Taiwanese cards. So apparently, it doesn't matter where a Kingston is made. He said the both run at the same speed now. That explains how Castlevania runs fine on the Taiwan card...

That would be wonderful news if it really is true.

Although we'd have to look carefully at when the batch of microSDs were made assuming they've only recently fixed this problem.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Recently, when I called Kingston, the person on the phone told me that Kingston had fixed the slower issue with the Taiwanese cards. So apparently, it doesn't matter where a Kingston is made. He said the both run at the same speed now. That explains how Castlevania runs fine on the Taiwan card...

He's just feeding you bullshit.

First of all, it's access times, he could be talking about any other kind of "speed" instead

And the taiwan cards aren't really a "broken" product per se, just because they are worse, rather this lower quality allows them to be produced and sold cheaper.

It would also take quite some time for these "fixed cards" to be disributed to replace the other cards (So you would have no guarantee), if they were true at all.

The reason they are different quality, is because of the country they are made. Japan made products have higher minimum standards. If the place made doesn't change, i can't see the quality doing so too.

lecture.gif

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I went ahead and bought the two last PNY 2G microsds from my best buy tonight and I can confirm it as having Japan on the front and it was $20. Although I couldn't get the 20% off to make it $15 even though I asked the cashier I still think it was a good deal. 2 microsd 2G Japan for $40. Anyway, the box says PNY technologies but the microsd card itself says Toshiba Japan. Odd. >.>

jusane

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
did those MIT microsd's come in the Super Talent packaging?

or was it the RiData one? http://www.monoprice.com/products/product....&seq=1&format=2

hmmm. so now they're shipping taiwan made sd's. what to do ............i just ordered from them again.
Yup the two I just got today are from taiwan, dont have anything to test them on though, still waiting on volumerate since Nov 26, I dont expect my r4s anytime soon either.

gamer1233

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Came in the Super Talent packaging.

did those MIT microsd's come in the Super Talent ?

or was it the RiData one? http://www.monoprice.com/products/product....&seq=1&format=2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: