Hacking Brick Warning! Those who have modchips.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Check the ios listing in your wii, below program will create a titles.txt file on your sd card.

http://www.tepetaklak.com/data/title_lister.rar
http://www.tepetaklak.com/data/title_lister_249.rar (reloads to IOS 249)

If your IOS 50 is listed with version number v5120 then full bricking your wii is just a matter of updating your wii with a game disc that has 3.4 update...
Recent games mostly contain a 3.4 update and the IOS 50 in the update partition of those disks are v4889... On update from a game disc system will skip the IOS 50 installation and hence you'll be left with a thrash IOS 50 and a 3.4 menu. Result is a full brick...

So in short, never update from a game disk containing 3.4 update if you have this thrash IOS 50 installed (IOS 50 v5120)

ps: by the way, this warning is not limited to the users with modchip... practically using a original disc in such a scenario will have the same effects too... just to prevent possible misunderstanding the topic of the title may introduce...

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
blazingwolf said:
So if we uninstall this IOS, will we be in the clear, should we replace it with the v4889 IOS?

Pretty much, but in general removal of ios is not recommended. The most secure way is going up to 4.0 and staying there...
If you are running 3.4, you don't have to check the version of the ios, it is v4889... deletion of IOS 50 on such systems will also result in full brick... so yeah the best is upgrade to 4.0 especially if you are not that experienced in these stuff...

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I didn't think about it, but there's really a brick danger because of this. And not only 3.4 is affected, all old system menus are, they just use different IOS that are replaced by dummies now(3.2 uses(d) IOS30).

But how do you get the dummy IOS50 on a Wii with 3.3 or lower? You only get that with a downgrade from 4.0 to the system menu before 3.4. Downgrading is the problem here in my eyes, without downgrade, you don't get that danger. And downgrading isn't recommend anymore anyways, since boot2v4 are instantly bicked by a downgrade.

My opinion: People with good modchips don't need the trucha bug, they only need a good loader. Brickcrap and region patchers cause a lot more trouble nowadays than they solve. And if you don't need the trucha bug, you only need to keep a way to start your loader and you can install all updates.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
I didn't think about it, but there's really a brick danger because of this. And not only 3.4 is affected, all old system menus are, they just use different IOS that are replaced by dummies now(3.2 uses(d) IOS30).

But how do you get the dummy IOS50 on a Wii with 3.3 or lower? You only get that with a downgrade from 4.0 to the system menu before 3.4. Downgrading is the problem here in my eyes, without downgrade, you don't get that danger. And downgrading isn't recommend anymore anyways, since boot2v4 are instantly bicked by a downgrade.

My opinion: People with good modchips don't need the trucha bug, they only need a good loader. Brickcrap and region patchers cause a lot more trouble nowadays than they solve. And if you don't need the trucha bug, you only need to keep a way to start your loader and you can install all updates.

Somewhat people prefer 3.2 as their downgrade destination... downgrader is safe in the sense that at least it installs a fresh copy of the IOS that the downgraded version uses. So special thing about 3.4 is it's ios resides between the ios used by 3.2&3.3 and 4.0... IOS30 - IOS 50 - IOS 60... so downgraders omit the stub ios there...

btw, there is not much information about what ios versions used by older system menus but of course any way of downgrading back to

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
I just added what i had to add...

Well and I just pointed out that downgrading is safe in this scenario, what is risky is downgrading and subsequently upgrading through a game disc. So a little bit of different people talking about downgrading that's all...

I don't have any objection to your point about going back to older versions and switching to new ones...

QUOTEYou are looking at the wrong page, all the info is here:
http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/System_Menu

Oh mine, yeah that's the relevant information... thanks.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
WiiCrazy said:
WiiPower said:

Well and I just pointed out that downgrading is safe in this scenario, what is risky is downgrading and subsequently upgrading through a game disc. So a little bit of different people talking about downgrading that's all...

I don't have any objection to your point about going back to older versions and switching to new ones...

Downgrading might be safe on old Wiis, on new Wiis, it's still an instant brick method.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
WiiCrazy said:
WiiPower said:

Downgrading might be safe on old Wiis, on new Wiis, it's still an instant brick method.

Yeah, like everything... there are exceptions... I especially wrote *downgrading is safe in this scenario* to make it relative to careless upgrading... I didn't mean it in general sense.

kingofsnake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a modchip, I have a softmod, I have been on many different System Menu versions including 3.4 using disk updates, currently on 4.0E no problems everything works fine. wtf is this thread about.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
kingofsnake said:
I have a modchip, I have a softmod, I have been on many different System Menu versions including 3.4 using disk updates, currently on 4.0E no problems everything works fine. wtf is this thread about.

The "what" part and the "f*ck" part is in the second paragraph... it's written for noobs and even experienced users not to say "wtf" after getting his wii bricked this way...

-off

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
kingofsnake said:

4.0->downgrade to 3.2->update to 3.4 via disc->brick. Like the 1st post describes.

usptactical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info. I went from 3.3 -> 3.2 and I don't even have IOS50 listed. My IOS30 is 1040 if that means anything. But then again I have bootmii installed to boot2 so technically I'd be OK anyways, right?

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well then I guess the second Wii I bought got this brick updating with WiiFit, cause it certanly was a kind of brick, and when 4.0 came out and I update the system, I try to perform the update but now the Wii only stays at the health screen with no PRESS A image at all, so you can't pass from there, and now is FULL bricked
tongue.gif
, the easiest way to throw $150 bucks (Wii=100 Infectus2=50)...!!

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
nope, practically if you are on 3.3 or earlier and you UPDATE with a disc to 3.4, you are potencially risking your Wii to a full brick...!!
wink.gif

^^Soft/Hard modded or not^^

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Whizz said:
But how does this affect modchip users? Just people who have also applied some sort of software mod should be affected by this, am I right?

They accidentally or by advice update from game discs after downgrading from 4.0 to 3.2... Softmod users generally don't update from the games hence it presents a greater risk for modchip users. And what makes it a really great risk is you get the brick through an official update from a game disc being legit or not even doesn't matter... It's just related to how nintendo updates work...

@ether/first post : possibly yours is a bit different, if you can see the health screen then you can most probably boot into recovery mode.

@ether/last post : nopez being on 3.2/3.3 is not a problem.. the problem is going down from an official 4.0 to 3.2 or 3.3 and then doing a disc update.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol