ZombiU is...

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by Kadin, Dec 9, 2012.

Dec 9, 2012

ZombiU is... by Kadin at 2:12 AM (1,496 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. Kadin
    OP

Member Kadin Ain't no rest for the wicked...

United States
    Surprisingly a shit ton of fun! After reading a few of the so-so reviews the game got, I was hesitant to pick this game up. I saw all the praise for it on Miiverse and decided to pick it up. Holy hell, I'm glad I didn't pass on this game.

If you like survival horror games and enjoy being scared a good bit, pick up this gem of a game. I'm about 7hrs in, died a handful of times and don't want it to end anytime soon!

2. MegaBassBX

Member MegaBassBX The Noble Sate User

United Arab Emirates
    is it that good :wtf:

3. nasune

Member nasune GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Yeah, I think it's a pretty great game too. To be honest, I never looked at the reviews (after the e3 trailer I just wanted it). Bit of a gamble perhaps, but one that paid off.

4. Deltaechoe

Member Deltaechoe The Dopefish

United States
    I have dead island already, so I decided to pass on this game. To me, it's not too different

jalaneme likes this.
  5. Valwin

Banned Valwin The Neautral Gamer

United States
    the reviews were shit because the people that review the game wanted the usual call of duty like zombie game like resident evil 6 and instead the got a true survival horror

raulpica likes this.
  6. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Well there's no point in getting Dead Island if you have Left 4 Dead.
    I hope they didn't, resident evil 6 was downright horrible.

7. Kadin
    OP

Member Kadin Ain't no rest for the wicked...

United States
    Yeah I really like it quite a bit. I might have seemed a little over excited in my post but it's genuine...

8. loco365

Member loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Once I can afford a WiiU, this is a title I plan to buy. Glad to see it's living up to the hype.

9. Lurker2

Banned Lurker2 Banned!

United States
    Most of the reviews were somewhat positive and most of the reviewers were probably disliking it for other reasons then that. It still has some flaws and the lack of more then one melee weapon despite the trailer showing the player using some was terrible.
    Dead Island is crap in comparison in my opinion.

Rasas likes this.
  10. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Dead Island is crap. period.

raulpica likes this.
  11. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    DEOBOMB OUT.

Dead Island was pretty good, I was going to get ZombiU but I'm not a fan of getting creeped out.

12. Kikirini

Member Kikirini Zelda Fangirl

United States
    I'm too scared to play it personally, but I've been watching my boyfriend play, and we've both been screaming a lot xD

I'm really surprised it got such low ratings. Certainly it's not a perfect game, but it was very refreshing.

13. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    I agree, it's pretty great. The only flaws I found are the load times and lousy melee combat, but other than that, it's a very challenging, very atmospheric game.

14. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    You died a lot?
    I'm too afraid of dying and loosing my abilities/player level that I don't play a lot and I'm too cautious (I restarted the game few times before dying... yeah, I know that's cheating the ranking system :()

It's not bad to loose your character often without having time to level it up?

Is there a way to survive with the very first player, the one without weapon? or is it meant to die quickly? Does it affect the game later depending on how far you played it? I went only past the barricade.

15. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Sorry...I disagree on the 'fun' part. Don't get me wrong, though. It's an awesome game, but "fun" absolutely isn't the way I would describe it. I could talk about the reasons, but extra creditz already did that better than I ever could.

It also puts the so-so reviews into perspective: those reviewers are looking for a fun factor and give it a low score because there isn't exactly any. However, it's a false claim. Let those same guys review a movie like Schindler's List and they'll hate it because there isn't enough "fun" in it. (you see how ridiculous that sounds? Yet somehow, for games this is perfectly acceptable behavior).

I've read the ING review and I pretty much cringed for every "bad" point it mentioned. It barely mentions the enormous amount of immersion the game gives. From the first moment to the last, you're just one lone survivor somewhere in the heart of London. You're not a hero...you're not overpowered and you're not fucking there for the FUN of it. The fact that dying turns you into a zombie which has to be killed by a new survivor is a brilliant move in that aspect: it easily reflects that all other zombies once were human too.

Oh, and perhaps for the record: I don't especially like survival horror games. I was never a fan of resident evil (not even 4), and while I do like silent hill games, I'm not exactly following that franchise either. However, I do like a good game. And zombiu absolutely is one. It may not be everyone's idea of a pass time to have to knock pretty much every zombie on the head three or four times with a bat because ammo is scarce, it if you could knock them down with one or two hits...it just wouldn't be as scary anymore (the important part about it is that while you are fighting this one zombie, you cannot tell how many are coming up on you from other directions). Same with the scanning, looking through your backpack or turning off your flashlight to let it recharge. This game would be incredibly boring if you were given a minigun from the start and enough ammo to start world war 3. Instead, it's an awesome experience that truly gets under your skin.

16. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    I thought Zombie U was one of those new IPs which had good ideas but not so stellar implementation. That's probably why the reviews have been pretty mixed, I'm guessing.

17. indask8

Member indask8 New Member Forever

France
    It's a really good game, a real survival horror game, so far I died 9 time.
    I died quite often at first then I've learned that every item have a purpose and should be used, and you need to be extra careful and take your time, it's better to take 5 min to go through a room full of zombie, than trying to rush,die and spend 15 min finding your previous survivor zombie.