xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Multiskin said:
phoenixgoddess27 said:
Multiskin said:
good translation but.... whats the point of a translation if you can't understand what you have to do in the missions or what each seed does

Be grateful for what was given to you. Lessening the Japanese is better than all of it being in it.

No one's asking you to play it, now are they?

nope, but as we are in a forum i have the right to express my opinion and share my toughts.

Indeed, but your post sounds more like a complain than an opinion.

FurryRage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ok, I made a few tests now that I'm back, and it seems the problem is coming from the text farm jp
the text jp file is fine
It's late here so I'll go to bed, but if I don't find a way to solve the freeze problem tomorrow, I'll upload a patch with at least the current translated text jp.ini (which is mainly the various menus)
It's a shame since I spent most of my time translating the other file, but it's still better than nothing
I'll see if I can find what is making the text farm jp.ini freeze (which contain the data/diary section and most of the farm texts and descriptions)

FurryRage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Patch

Ok, so here is the patch with a partial menu translation, I'm still trying to find what made the other file corrupt the game
The good news is : the quests goals are all in the "menu file" and not in the "farm file"
It means I'll be able to translate them (it's not very long to do, I already translated 2 quickly before making the patch)
I know you lot would like them translated fast, but it'll have to wait a little since I'm currently translating another part of the file, I just wanted to test if the quest goals were showing right and they do
Well, enjoy the patch anyway, more coming in the next few days

EDIT : obviously, there's many quirks and out of context translations, I plan on releasing a rough translation for now, and refine it later when the main part will be set up
If anyone want to help with the process, you can join me on msn ([email protected]), I'd like to have a few testers to check for bugs and help me correct the misplaced translations faster
Mainly, I'll tell you what I translated, and ask you to check where it is in the game and if it's placed and translated right

FurryRage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
http://filetrip.net/f23945-Zombie-Daisuki-english-0-15.html
Here you go, I also finished translating the quest goals
And I also re translated part of the farm file, and it seems to be working so far
So... partial menus translation, quest goals done, a few messages sliding on the upper screen are translated too
next is finishing to translate the farm file back to where it was before it became corrupted and see what happens
Enjoy guys

P.S. I'm still looking for people willing to spend some time testing the rom with me
I need to check a few things and it'll help me a lot to be able to have the rom tested WHILE I'm translating instead of spending half of my time on it

FurryRage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
My bad, the patch was buggy, I changed the link
If you downloaded it, please, download it again, it should correct the problem

I only added a few lines in the farm file but it's enough to make the game crash after a mission...
I really don't understand why
frown.gif

Anyway, at least the menu file is working, so I'll concentrate on that one for the time being

as for the translation... well since the farm file doesn't work at all, only the menus are translated, and a few messages on the upper screen

FurryRage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Last update of the day :

I tried a lot of things, but whatever I do, if I modify the farm text jp.ini, the game freeze when I load the farm for a second time
If mareclo, kosheh or any other who knows could tell me how to solve the damn thing, I'd appreciate it
So... all of my work on that file seems doomed for now, so I'll completely stop translating it and concentrate on the other one
Too bad it's the one I translated the most that is rendered useless
frown.gif

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FurryRage said:
Last update of the day :

I tried a lot of things, but whatever I do, if I modify the farm text jp.ini, the game freeze when I load the farm for a second time
If mareclo, kosheh or any other who knows could tell me how to solve the damn thing, I'd appreciate it
So... all of my work on that file seems doomed for now, so I'll completely stop translating it and concentrate on the other one
Too bad it's the one I translated the most that is rendered useless
frown.gif

You could ask FAST if he can give you some ideas on why it isn't working.
If you need testers, just make a thread or stay in this thread and announce that you're looking for game testers to test for bugs and errors.

FurryRage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I contacted FAST, I'll see where it leads me
I'll probably start another thread for my translation, I was thinking about it
I don't want to clog up this one, but since it's not particularly easy for others to see my updates here...
Yeah I'll probably start a new one (when I'll release the next patch)

For now, I'll be back to translating only the menus and upper screen sentences, since that's all I can do...
If there's still no way to solve the farm.ini problem when I'm done, I'll start translating the bin files containing the characters and item names

Also, most of the translated texts fits in their boxes, but I noticed later on, when conditions start to pile up, you can't read everything since there's like 3 on a single line one after the other
I'll probably reduce the length of the conditions, but it means I'll have to only keep the time/numbers etc
You'll have to use your brain a little and understand that 8:00 is your time limit and 200 touches means you can touch the screen 200 times at max, it's NOT goal requirements
But I think you're all smart enough to understand that the upper line is for goals, bottom line is for limitations, so I'll go with it and see if it's ok since the limitations are obvious once you're doing the quest

FurryRage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Patch
I re uploaded it and made a few corrections for the sentences that were too long
I tested it and it works fine on my side, no freeze
Are you sure you patched the CLEAN rom? (don't re use a corrupted one)
Anyway, try this patch

I'll open a new thread tonight with next patch

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First thanks Keshire for the initial breakdown of the bin files.
You also say random crashing and disappearing text- always think pointers either being broken or not pointing to the right thing (this includes if you delete a line/section from a header) or bad encoding here. That it only happens on certain conditions would seem to indicate that it has a problem with something that is only loaded at that point (after the return to the farm, save reloading and the like)- they could well be loading up a following bit of text that would have been useless the first time around or indeed the save loading mechanism is dumb and does not load appropriately (it thinks conditions have already been met so it preloads things). It might well happen for the text_jp as well but as the time has not been put in yet that might not have caused a crash yet.

Likewise even if you are editing in a basic editor (always be wary of roms that appear to let you do this) they can do things like change the new line characters, delete the end of file characters (especially if they are simple FF's or something).
Equally just because something uses shiftJIS does not mean it has the full shiftJIS implementation (shiftJIS is at least in theory compatible with some level of unicode or indeed ASCII but in roms this distinction is not always observed).
Fortunately it does usually include some measure of roman character support high up in the shiftJIS range (well low down actually but compared to straight unicode or ASCII it is)
http://www.rikai.com/library/kanjitables/k...odes.sjis.shtml
Better yet http://www.romhacking.net/docs/442/

Looking at the ini files this applies there- lines 44 though 50 of text_jp.ini as well as lines 121, 138 (interestingly the two lines above are not shiftJIS roman characters) to mention just a handful. Scanning through the text_farm_jp.ini file the same applies.
When you type on most standard western type keyboards it will default to the conventional ASCII/unicode variation when using Roman characters and even if it works in parts games do not necessarily like it (this game appears to have a measure of markup* available- that fetch routine that handles markup might well be happy or indeed expect to have ASCII where the normal game text routine will fall over).
There are a few little tricks in shiftJIS but they are not as nice as the ASCII ones (33 in hex is ascii 3 and add 40 hex to the hex position of a letter gives you the ASCII equivalent sort of thing)- basic ones include 82 house the shiftJIS roman characters but it also houses the hiragana so that is not foolproof by any means, the value after 82 is 1F ahead of things for capital letters (this is why lines 44 through 50 decode one character "ahead") and 20 (hex) ahead for lower case.

*actually looking at some of the other files in the game the whole thing is a markup type game second only to the likes of puzzle quest. Assuming the game is reasonably fun (and given this is about as close as we are going to get to several classic games on the DS) I sense a level editor and/or remix in the near future.

Short version of the last three paragraphs- unless you have pulled the whole thing apart and either found the limits or modified the limitations to not include what you want to do you should really keep things as close to the original as you can.

You can work around this by using something like njstar http://www.njstar.com/cms/njstar-japanese-word-processor - go to the ASCII input mode and check the box on the right hand side (it will be at the bottom by default. Output your test as shiftJIS (it will try to default to NJStar documents) and it should be good.

Code:
00000000 8273 8288 8289 8293 8140 8289 8293 8140 .s.......@.....@
00000010 8281 8140 8293 8281 828D 8290 828C 8285 ...@............
00000020 8140 828C 8289 828E 8285 0D0AÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ .@..........

^ it might look like gibberish in the ASCII readout but changing to shiftJIS will reveal a perfectly readable line of English. It is also a nice example of how line/paragraph/section control codes can get messed up by standard text editors (many games eschew the windows standard new line of 0d0a in favour of something else entirely which in turn often trips up the standard decoders (many times have I seen 16 bit character sets use 8 bit control codes and as a result everything other line in a shiftJIS output will be unreadable as the decoder tries to stay aligned to 16 bit boundaries).

There is a sentiment among many of the DS hackers that using this method is crude and we should be using 8 bit characters (if nothing else it certainly helps with pointers) and I am inclined to agree. Using shiftJIS like this does however work and that is what most people seek not to mention it saves ASM hacking a font display/text decoding routine.

To answer the inevitable question yes this is very tedious- this sort of thing is why people make custom translation programs for games rather than rely on existing things for hacks when they progress beyond proof of concept, small things and reverse engineering. Be thankful there are only a little over 1300 lines and many of them are not in need of translation.

As for the .bin files (and indeed the ini files) what happens when you just change a few letters keeping lengths the same (usual thing to do is change an entire line to all one character or one character after the other and in this case try both ASCII/UT8 and shiftJIS)? it is not always necessary but it can shine a light on any checks or pointers that are not immediately apparent. I will hopefully get the chance to take a proper look at them later.

Re "zo.srl.authority" .srl files are usually download play files. They might contain text but there is little need to translate them for a basic hack. Likewise editing them can also break signing meaning you need flashme to have them work (give or take some timing issues for always on routines you can usually hack the rom and have a stock download play file and still have it all work). For whatever reason in this case it has the extra extension authority tacked onto it. Good news too as download play files are usually compressed as much as they can be for obvious reasons.

I am curious about this new sound format as well- it is not the first time I have seen it.

Other than that the only thing that raises flags is that the game has many overlays files, quite large in size, two entry points for them and that they are all compressed. It might ultimately mean nothing but not noting such a thing would be bad form.

PS anybody that fancies a couple of nice DS signal/wifi related icons the SSZ file has nice ones with a palette (if crystaltile2 says it is compressed ignore it).

FurryRage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Like I said, I'm a big newb at rom hacking, and I chose this particular rom because there was few text outside of the story and the files didn't seem to need hex editing (since I have no real knowledge)

Sooo... thanks a lot for the answer, I'll try to read it a few more times and understand what you just told me xD

I wanted to do a small project since I don't want the translation to take too much time
The game is small and it's no use if everyone is done with it once I finish the translation
frown.gif

Anyway, what I understand so far is that I still have to do hex editing even for the ini files, am I right?
As I gather, to keep the length, you can replace 1 jap character by two eng characters, spaces count. If so, I'll probably have a hard time translating certain parts :s

I'll see what I can do, thanks again for the help, I was fearing such an answer
I'll give a go at njstar once I understand what you just wrote
tongue.gif

Seems my choices are either do hex editing or translate only what's necessary and keep it short
frown.gif

EDIT : I hex edited the text farm and it works fine...
Guess I'll have to start again from the beginning with hex
Dang...it will probably take some time for me to get the files back to how they were via hex editing
So no patch for a while, use the last one for now, I'll give some news in the other topic

2nd EDIT : quick question, do you think I should keep the original hex length by putting spaces at the end of the line? Since spaces are counted in the game, it'll mess with the translation position
Do you think I can remedy that by deleting characters if there's too many (instead of replacing them)?
And is it possible to add some characters too? Meaning I can tinker with the length of the lines as long as it's in hexa? I don't think I can without risks of the game freezing again, but it's worth asking

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not so much worried about spaces/line length (it looks like the game was built to take a bit of variation) and it if worked before when you were not doing anything about shiftJIS considerations- obviously you still have issues if you want to get ridiculous and add 500 characters to a line (both screen real estate and the game not knowing what to do).
Usually though the only problem is games will have pointers to tell it where the text is at and changing lengths means the game ultimately fetches things from all the wrong places as a result of your changes (add 10 characters to a line and everything that follows is not 10 characters out).
This does not usually trouble your PC although simple programs like windows notepad will choke on larger text files as I am sure we have all seen but limited resource devices like the DS have a harder time.
Thankfully the way games know where to look is to have a big list of all the locations of text called pointers that are simple numbers telling it where something starts (might be from the start of the file, might be in the whole rom, might be where it ends up in the memory (this is more GBA than DS), might count from where the pointers end and the text begins......... not to mention it might be hard coded to only read 6 characters and then start a new line regardless- this is where you definitely pad things out).
This game appears at least in the ini files (keshire already noted pointers in the bin file) with a chance of not having this "problem" so more experimentation is needed.

If you want a test then copy and past the last couple of words in a line a few times- the encoding will be OK as you just got it from the very line but it will test whether space matters. If it turns out space matters and you can not easily track down the pointers then yeah I would pad it with spaces.

Hex editing vs text editing....... suffice it to say in rom hacking there generally is no such thing as text editing without at least having pulled everything apart and tested it at hex editor level- text editing is the end stage not the entirety of the hack.

"As I gather, to keep the length, you can replace 1 jap character by two eng characters, spaces count. If so, I'll probably have a hard time translating certain parts :s"

Possibly not in this case. If you are lucky enough to get a rom that works with 8 bit characters where 16 bit Japanese exists (there is a mix here but we do not know how it all fits together) then by all means replace away. Otherwise you are limited to using 16 bit characters (this is where the hack to change things from 8 to 16 bits comes in and you get to start playing with pointers).

FurryRage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think I'm starting to understand what you're telling me xD
Damn that's hard when you know nothing
I'll reread all that tomorrow, but I think I'm getting it
Though, I have no knowledge in coding, so I'm far from being able to "ease" the task
I'll probably just stick to what I know and edit via hex
Thanks again, you're a great help and it's pretty nice to learn those thing, even if I'm not ready to apply them yet nor comprehend them in their entirety xD

FurryRage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ok, I tested a few things, and as long as I do it in hex, I can change the length of the lines, the game can take a bit of variation like you said, it's doing it in a text editor that was ruining it, probably by deleting some pointers like you said
I think your pointers in this case are the obvious text pointers (menu_select_yes, menu_select_no, zombie_param, etc...) The thing is in hex, there's a single dot before them and a "space"= behind them and the text editing was probably deleting some of that (the . I think since I didn't see any in the text editor)
If I got what you told me right, that's what I'm looking for
And so far, the ini files are only composed of ".stage.farmmenu.menu =" and "....F.F...F...E...E.R." japanese text I need to translate
So the roman character parts seems to be the only pointers

Anyway, I reread your explanations from the beginning and :

Apparently I better input roman letters in JIS format than in ASCII
Meaning I should replace for an exemple ".F...E.T...." by "........F....d" instead of replacing it by "Profile" in the hex editor?
So far I tried replacing a few things with ASCII letters and it works fine as long as I do it in hex
(the pointers are already in ascii anyway, I checked, so the rom must be at least compatible with them for the pointers, so the rest is probably fine)
Which brings me to :
QUOTE said:
(many times have I seen 16 bit character sets use 8 bit control codes and as a result everything other line in a shiftJIS output will be unreadable as the decoder tries to stay aligned to 16 bit boundaries)
If I understand you right, you mean games with 16 bit character sets (8140 828C 8289 828E 8285 like in your exemple) most of the time misinterpret the 8bit characters you enter (50 72 6F 66 69) since they try to force a 16 bit reading?
It doesn't seem to be the case in this game anyway, but I wanted to be sure I understood you
QUOTEIf you are lucky enough to get a rom that works with 8 bit characters where 16 bit Japanese exists (there is a mix here but we do not know how it all fits together)
Seems I'm lucky and the game works fine with either (from what I tested yesterday)

The pointers being all in roman ASCII characters anyway, the only things that looks like .....D....A....E.R.R.....T are the things I actually have to translate, meaning I can navigate relatively easily in the file even in a hex editor
I don't even need to know what it is since I'll just replace them
I can make my translation in a copied file I read with a text editor (open office with Shift JIS set) and then look for the pointers and translate the part in hex (that's what I did yesterday and it works fine even though it's tiresome going back and forth between each file but ultimately, it'd be the same if I used njstar)

There may be more limitations in the bin files since they only have number pointers, they may have a 16 bit forced reading or a few other limitations unlike the ini files, I'll try what you told me and replace things with ASCII/JIS to make some tests, I'll also try to see if I can change the length in those
Like you said in your second post, those bin files will probably be harder to translate and might check a lot of things, but they're not important, the main part of this game that needs a translation are the ini files anyway and they have nearly no limitations, so if I can't edit the bin files in the end it's no big deal (having an enemy named Jessica instead of ???? is really not a neaded change right now)

tl;dr : I'll translate in a text editor, then I'll input the translated part in a hex editor
It should work fine at least for the ini files, and I'll check the bin files behavior later

Again, thanks a lot, it was very helpful and interesting
smile.gif

Tell me if I got something wrong
I'll give it a quick rest for the week end and I'll restart my translation next week
I'll stop posting here and give updates on the other topic
(except to answer FAST if needs be)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, yes