Hacking Zelda Majora's Mask romc Compression

kaepora

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cheers for the link, grabbing it now.
The romc compression was the initial prob I was having, and yes I was trying to compress it b/c AutiInjectuWad v3 said it was too big (as the official MM romc is ~27MB). If this vc tool works, we'll see what happens.

And yeah, Superman 64...
hate2.gif
one of the worst scoring games ever in reviews?

kaepora

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
RESULT!!
grog.gif

At least it loads past the 'Classic Controller' screen to the spinning 'N' but then crashes the Wii...

I'll crack away at it more tomorrow to see if I can do anything else, but the initial task of the rom size in the original post is resolved, so cheers JumpMan3 for that.

'course if anyone has any ideas on this crash, pipe up, though I realise it's probably just this particular wad emulator isn't designed for the changes to the MM CE rom.

Anyway, cheers and for those in this timezone, sleep tight.

dsfgd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
why even trying it ?

MM uses a new romc compression,
the old romc tool doesn't work anymore and injections are currently not possible.

(theoretically it's still the same compression, but something is different)

kaepora

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
dsfgd: I didn't realise that about compression changing and romc tool being out of date (not much about it on the 'net).

Why trying it:
QUOTE said:
Because it's f**kin there
as some climber once said (or something like that) but also the resolution increase (that spinning N looked smooth...) though I realise that itself could prevent it from working.

As you say though, if there's a change in the compression, and as Supertag said about wads with compressed roms maybea needing compressed roms, I could be screwed on that front as well. Maybe after the N it's trying toa uncompress a portion of the rom that it 'expects' to be compressed but now isn't?

DrYHeLL

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Didn't we get over the fact that the Collectors edition dis is buggy and likes to flip out AND that the new "official" Majoras Mask wad runs at a higher resolution as well?

JumpMan3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well i tried following this tutorial
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=145911&st=0

and got to a point where i can view the opening movie, but when i press start the game freezes. Maybe its because i used a US rom on a Pal Emu? I would try a pal rom but I can't find one at the time. all well i might try again later.

romc.exe gave me a 31.7 mb file with the ntsc rom, that i put back together with new vc injector.

kaepora

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
DrYHeLL said:
Didn't we get over the fact that the Collectors edition dis is buggy and likes to flip out AND that the new "official" Majoras Mask wad runs at a higher resolution as well?
You're correct on the resolution front, I compared it to the N64 cart and the vc is much clearer. So the only reason to do this is the colour of the button icons I suppose...
I've never had a problem with my GC disc by the way, so for me at least, that isn't a factor.

QUOTE(JumpMan3 @ Apr 17 2009, 01:51 AM) Well i tried following this tutorial
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=145911&st=0

and go to a point where i can view the opening movie, but when i press start the game freezes. Maybe its because i used a US rom on a Pal Emu? I would try a pal rom but I can't find one at the time. all well i might try again later.
Majora's Mask rom extracted from UK PAL Zelda Collectors Edition GameCube disc:
(I changed the file ext to .z64, it was .n64 as extracted, but Tool64 said it was a Z64 Big Endian format rom.)
Link removed

-- The fact that the GC disc can only be run in 60Hz mode suggests that the roms are NTSC-U anyway and the disc itself is just modified to run on PAL GC/Wii. In this case maybe the problem is injecting this rom into a PAL wad?

I tried that tut as well, which is where I was running into problems with romc. I tried it with the full 32mb rom, but the same result as with vc.exe. Mine crashes before even the opening movie though.

kaepora

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Game Codes
Extracted CE disc rom: NZSP
According to GameFAQ CE disc was: NZSE (presumably they didn't list PAL disc)
Original N64 UK cart: NZSP
MM wad: NARP

So tried changing wad regions and codes, still none work, though US region wad of course won't load on my Wii.
If anything were to have an effect though, I imagine it would be to change the wad ID to match rom code, ie. NZSP.
This doesn't work either though.

Prev post about gamecube rom being NTSC maybe doesn't mean anything either, as the code within the rom is a PAL code.

In case anyone wonders, the official vc wad works absolutely fine, just incase anyone suggests an IOS update, etc

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nintendo becomes responsible for 2024s virus +1