How can I import GameCube's Collectors Zelda OOT save files to a regular N64 Zelda OOT via HEX?

NitroHedgehog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As the title said, I am looking to ''convert'' my Collector's Edition's OOT save file into a .sra file to convert into a Wii VC File via HEX Editing. Most people told me ''hey it's a fun game, you should play it from scratch.'' I do agree, but there's a catch with me... Stealth missions (Hyrule Castle and Gerudo's Fortress) makes me nervous and stressed enough to the point of becoming anxious and crying...(a mental disease I wish I didn't had...) My Collector Edition's save file have these completed thanks to my bro, so it's no deal at all, but I want to continue from GC to Wii VC (thanks to my sister's dog breaking Collector's Edition disc), but I dunno where to copy/paste the save file data from the .gci file to the .sra file. I DO know how to hex edit, BTW, so all I would need are offsets... does anyone knows where they are located? Oddly enough, Majora's Mask was a piece of cake to port, but OOT is giving me trouble...

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Majora's Mask was a piece of cake to port, but OOT is giving me trouble...
So, you've successfully converted a MM save from the GC version to the VC version just by hex editing?
A couple of options you can go with instead :
- Using your GC save with Nintendont, you just have to get an iso file of the Loz the Collector's Edition. And of course modding your system so you can run homebrew applications (if you haven't already)..
- 2nd option, is finding a MM save of the VC version that's past that area you're having trouble with, without the need of converting anything..
And i highly doubt that this save conversion that you are seeking will work anyway, because they are two different systems. just because it's the same game (theoretically) doesn't mean they function/ or are coded the same way..

pietempgba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As the title said, I am looking to ''convert'' my Collector's Edition's OOT save file into a .sra file to convert into a Wii VC File via HEX Editing. Most people told me ''hey it's a fun game, you should play it from scratch.'' I do agree, but there's a catch with me... Stealth missions (Hyrule Castle and Gerudo's Fortress) makes me nervous and stressed enough to the point of becoming anxious and crying...(a mental disease I wish I didn't had...) My Collector Edition's save file have these completed thanks to my bro, so it's no deal at all, but I want to continue from GC to Wii VC (thanks to my sister's dog breaking Collector's Edition disc), but I dunno where to copy/paste the save file data from the .gci file to the .sra file. I DO know how to hex edit, BTW, so all I would need are offsets... does anyone knows where they are located? Oddly enough, Majora's Mask was a piece of cake to port, but OOT is giving me trouble...
If this is for the US version of the wad open up the gci file and delete everything before 0x6044 and everything after 0x7FFF and rename the file to RAM_CZLE and then copy it to
Code:
/title/00010001/4e414345/data
on your wii. I got this information from here https://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2527

Last edited by pietempgba,

NitroHedgehog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks guys! It worked! But now that I did what I wanted with cheat codes, I want to re-import it back to Collector's Edition. I took my save file, copied and pasted exactly between 0x6044 and 0x7FFF from the RAM_CZLE, but now I am getting corrupted saves... am I doing something wrong?

P.S - I got a new Collector's Edition on eBay, but it was expensive...

pietempgba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys! It worked! But now that I did what I wanted with cheat codes, I want to re-import it back to Collector's Edition. I took my save file, copied and pasted exactly between 0x6044 and 0x7FFF from the RAM_CZLE, but now I am getting corrupted saves... am I doing something wrong?

P.S - I got a new Collector's Edition on eBay, but it was expensive...
Select all the bytes from your wii vc save and copy them and then do paste write at 0x6044 in your GameCube save. Let me know if that's not working.

NitroHedgehog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Select all the bytes from your wii vc save and copy them and then do paste write at 0x6044 in your GameCube save. Let me know if that's not working.
That's exactly what I tried to do, all new saves files gets corrupted upon launching OoT on Collector's Edition. I think I wasted 4 hours or so trying to do it... I use HxD as my hex editor and a modded Wii for savefile import/export.

pietempgba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's exactly what I tried to do, all new saves files gets corrupted upon launching OoT on Collector's Edition. I think I wasted 4 hours or so trying to do it... I use HxD as my hex editor and a modded Wii for savefile import/export.

Doesn't seem possible atm.

For now, doing the reverse doesn't seem to be possible: the GameCube save presumably uses a checksum of its own and sees the modified save as corruption. It should be possible to find and correct this checksum for a capable user (read: not me), so that games started on other emulators can be continued on the Collector's Edition, but at the moment this is a one-way switch.
https://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2527

You could ask people on the ship of harkinian discord or the Zelda decompilation discord they might know.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Sicklyboy, Hey