Zelda-like 'Decay of Logos' coming to Nintendo Switch

In case you have a hard time waiting for the next entry in the Zelda franchise, Rising Star Games might have something for you to make the wait a bit sweeter. The company published a trailer of a game called Decay of Logos that has been in development for some time by Portuguese development studio Amplify Creations. It is described as an action/adventure third-person RPG influenced by European folklore and by J. R. R. Tolkien’s high fantasy. You play a girl that is accompanied by a mystical Elk as her companion, seeking revenge against a King's son who destroyed her village, unveiling secrets during the process and realizing things are not as they seem. The game takes chunks of Zelda and Dark Souls as inspiration and focuses on exploration, combat and resource management. Link would be proud.

The game is set to launch at some point this fall for Nintendo Switch, PC, PS4 and Xbox One.

:arrow: Official website

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Just wondering, why the high enfacis on the switch in the thread's title if it is coming to all platforms?:unsure:
Yeah it's weird. Also the comparison to zelda. It feels very forced.
actually, IMO, breath of the wild isn't a zelda game
lack of real dungeon, and lack of this puzzle-solving made it a non-zelda game, IMO
I agree. Botw is great fun, and definitely feels like a zelda game in a lot of ways. But in more way it doesn't feel like a zelda game at all.

Lazyboss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
a zelda-like game? it's going to fail for two reasons:
1. The game title is not Zelda.
2. Smartphone graphics.

The reason why BOTW got 10/10 because it's Zelda game, and the long wait for it on the Switch.
This game have no history or anything, and it's going to be a big "Meh"

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
a zelda-like game? it's going to fail for two reasons:
1. The game title is not Zelda.
2. Smartphone graphics.

The reason why BOTW got 10/10 because it's Zelda game, and the long wait for it on the Switch.
This game have no history or anything, and it's going to be a big "Meh"

Nobody outside of people that read the localisers of Polish games had heard of CD Projekt before The Witcher, had you said FromSoftware before Demon's Souls most would have assumed you missed a space, and beyond that Europe does seem to have a bit of a habit of putting out rather unpolished but ultimately quite interesting games of this bent (I already mentioned The Witcher, STALKER might feature in this, the Divinity franchise another, Sacred, Two Worlds II, Gothic, Risen..., though I will give that several of those are German rather than Portuguese).
The pub, presumably also the one funding this little venture, seem like they have an eye for quality too if the things they have published and picked for localisation before are anything to go by.

Equally there have been a few things drawing heavy inspiration from Zelda, or taken the Zelda idea and properly ran with it, and did well for themselves. I would certainly agree many give Zelda far more slack than it is due (see also the fun and games when people dare to give it an entirely respectable score/summary) but at the same time it is not drowning out the competition from where I sit.
Graphics wise I already noted my issues with at least the "emptiness" of some of the environments but they look perfectly serviceable to me. I might also go a bit further and say we are not as beholden to graphics as we once were.

Everything remains to be proven but I can see being cautiously optimistic here.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Lazyboss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Nobody outside of people that read the localisers of Polish games had heard of CD Projekt before The Witcher, had you said FromSoftware before Demon's Souls most would have assumed you missed a space, and beyond that Europe does seem to have a bit of a habit of putting out rather unpolished but ultimately quite interesting games of this bent (I already mentioned The Witcher, STALKER might feature in this, the Divinity franchise another, Sacred, Two Worlds II, Gothic, Risen..., though I will give that several of those are German rather than Portuguese).
The pub, presumably also the one funding this little venture, seem like they have an eye for quality too if the things they have published and picked for localisation before are anything to go by.

Equally there have been a few things drawing heavy inspiration from Zelda, or taken the Zelda idea and properly ran with it, and did well for themselves. I would certainly agree many give Zelda far more slack than it is due (see also the fun and games when people dare to give it an entirely respectable score/summary) but at the same time it is not drowning out the competition from where I sit.
Graphics wise I already noted my issues with at least the "emptiness" of some of the environments but they look perfectly serviceable to me. I might also go a bit further and say we are not as beholden to graphics as we once were.

Everything remains to be proven but I can see being cautiously optimistic here.
Easy man my English is not that good.
Anyway, The Witcher success because it's not a shadow of any other game, CD Project put all their efforts on that game.
Copying a successful game thinking it will success as well is a wrong move, if it wasn't for the dungeons and puzzles i won't play any of Zelda games, and as i said before, BOTW only got 10/10 because of the name Zelda on it.
If they are going to copy BOTW at least they should add the things BOTW missing: Story, Music, Characters, otherwise the game will fail for sure.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, I do try to curb my tendencies to go for silly long sentences with multiple sections but slip from time to time.

I am mainly viewing the comparison to zelda as a marketing ploy and will treat it as a standalone thing should it end up on my screen.

I agree entirely that copying games almost invariably leads to a weaker version of said game -- I think mario kart is a really poor game when all is said and done and it truly pains me to see the few devs that try thinking about making a clone rather than "kart racing is fun, go". That said Zelda is not a bastion of quality for me; BOTW was nothing I had not seen in a half a dozen games before then, from smaller devs on far weaker systems at times as well. So where I would doubt someone has much chance going up against call of duty's or battlefield's billions then Zelda is nothing more than a shorthand for a gameplay style that many would recognise. If they want to take something like BOTW and add story, characters, music, proper dungeons and proper puzzles (again all something I have seen far smaller devs do on far weaker systems before now) then it will almost certainly make for something special.
As far as the witcher goes there were loads of games like it. It outshone many of them and I imagine bethesda, bioware and such really stood up and took notice. Other than maybe them looking at Zelda BOTW and thinking "that horse AI is not bad, and maybe we could stand to do climbing better (before looking at Assassin's creed which does it much better still)" I doubt they are quaking in their boots.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, :creep: