The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons land on Nintendo Switch Online today

maxresdefault.jpg

Nintendo has just dropped two new titles onto the NSO service. As of tonight you can now play The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons on your Nintendo Switch system. Both titles were developed by a Capcom subsidiary and released for the Game Boy Color in 2001.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In what order should I play them to get the best ending?
The ending parts are effectively the same regardless of the order they're played in, however you get the most content and a more natural difficulty curve if you start with Seasons and then play Ages afterwards. Seasons is objectively a little easier for the most part than ages, and it introduces all of the mechanics quite well. Ages on the other hand has more convoluted puzzles that require out of the box thinking.
You'll also unlock the hardest dungeon of the two games only if you bring your save from Seasons to Ages.

But for the story itself it doesn't matter which way around you play it. You also get an extra password after finishing a full playthrough to experience the way around, and get a special symbol on the save for your efforts if you do.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Funny to see people wishing for remakes, but if it were going to have the terribly inconsistent framerate of Link's Awkewing remake I'd rather just play the originals.
I’m with you here. I also don’t understand why they locked your analogue stick to 8 directions but also decided to not let you use the D Pad for movement??

I think aesthetically they absolutely nailed it, but between the framerate and controls, it’s just been sat on my shelf.

Reactions: DarthDub

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The ending parts are effectively the same regardless of the order they're played in, however you get the most content and a more natural difficulty curve if you start with Seasons and then play Ages afterwards. Seasons is objectively a little easier for the most part than ages, and it introduces all of the mechanics quite well. Ages on the other hand has more convoluted puzzles that require out of the box thinking.
You'll also unlock the hardest dungeon of the two games only if you bring your save from Seasons to Ages.

But for the story itself it doesn't matter which way around you play it. You also get an extra password after finishing a full playthrough to experience the way around, and get a special symbol on the save for your efforts if you do.
Great info, thanks. Interestingly, I saw someone else say to do puzzle-focused Ages first because it makes combat-focused Seasons easier, so maybe it's not so objective.
Post automatically merged:

Link's Awakening remake ran really nicely with overclocking, the fans spin up when you're in a lava room but not too many frame drops. This was on Erista, can probably get it perfect on Mariko.

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
If Nintendo cared they'd finish the third Oracle game and release it on NSO alongside the two others. Now that would actually be newsworthy.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I’m with you here. I also don’t understand why they locked your analogue stick to 8 directions but also decided to not let you use the D Pad for movement??

I think aesthetically they absolutely nailed it, but between the framerate and controls, it’s just been sat on my shelf.
The frame rate drops were on purpose, the original Link's Awakening also had massive slowdowns on original hardware every time the screen got a bit more busy.
Great info, thanks. Interestingly, I saw someone else say to do puzzle-focused Ages first because it makes combat-focused Seasons easier, so maybe it's not so objective.
I can't say combat is harder in Seasons, to be honest. Particularly if you put effort into getting the upgrades from the trading sequence and stuff you can just plow through almost everything rather easily.
You can also get access to some rings in seasons fairly early to make things even easier, but over all I feel Seasons is better balanced as the first entry, and the extra dungeon in Ages is worth far more playtime than the little extra dungeon in Seasons that's just a 5 minute distraction during early game.

But neither game is early 90's Nintendo hard, they're both fairly forgiving regardless of the order they're played in.

Except for the Goron rhythm game in ages. Fuck that mini game in particular.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The frame rate drops were on purpose, the original Link's Awakening also had massive slowdowns on original hardware every time the screen got a bit more busy.
I assume you’re taking the piss, but if not that is perhaps the stupidest design decision I’ve ever seen in a game.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ChronosNotashi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember Nintendo kill support off Nintendo Shop on Nintendo Wii and eShop on Nintendo Wii U/3DS means people can't get their games back.
To be fair, it is still possible to redownload any games you have for the 3DS and WiiU eShops. It's just that you need to have actually purchased them prior to the eShop being closed. And it not be a game/software that was removed from the eShop server entirely, like with YouTube 3DS.

Last edited by ChronosNotashi,
Reactions: zfreeman

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I assume you’re taking the piss, but if not that is perhaps the stupidest design decision I’ve ever seen in a game.
Definitely taking the piss here, but on the other hand the slowdowns in the original non-DX version are real and pretty bad at times.

People just need to remember that Nintendo has always been this way with more involved games, they regularly push their hardware to the limits and few of the most popular games ran perfectly on their original hardware.

The switch remake isn't much worse than the original version with how often it slows down, and unlike the original version it usually only slows down when it doesn't matter all that much. Sure it sucks it happens in the village, but at least it doesn't regularly happen in dungeons during fights like in the original.

EDIT: However I'm not defending their stupid hardware decisions this generation, chances are if they had sucked it up and doubled the RAM of the switch most of the performance problems in this generation could have likely been avoided altogether. The 10 bucks more to buy it would have been well worth it.

Last edited by RAHelllord,
Reactions: Scarlet

LuigiXHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Post automatically merged:

Link's Awakening remake ran really nicely with overclocking, the fans spin up when you're in a lava room but not too many frame drops. This was on Erista, can probably get it perfect on Mariko.
I also agree seasons then ages. It just flows better plotwise for me (plus it's the order the mangas follow) though seasons 2nd has a cool plot payoff but it's something you'd know already. My personal pick is go all in and do seasons to ages to seasons again lol

Last edited by LuigiXHero,
Reactions: hippy dave

Desconocido90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you're talking about the Hero's Cave, you're wrong: you can always play that optional dungeon in a save linked from Ages to Season.

The tiny tutorial Cave from Seasons gets expanded in the linked game, matching the size and difficulty of the Oracle of Ages counterpart.

Reactions: zfreeman

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you're talking about the Hero's Cave, you're wrong: you can always play that optional dungeon in a save linked from Ages to Season.

The tiny tutorial Cave from Seasons gets expanded in the linked game, matching the size and difficulty of the Oracle of Ages counterpart.
They're not identical, and the difficulty in the Ages dungeon is a good deal higher compared to the joke puzzles in Seasons counterpart.

I very much stand by it that the season's counterpart isn't worth the time it takes to play through it. Sure the reward is nice and needed for 100% completion, but the puzzles are trivial apart from a single curve ball.

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
One of my most favorite Zelda games that I have yet to play to this day lmao

I watched this game a lot as a kid, and I guess I have a new way to playing it.

playing it a la emulation

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4