Gaming Zelda HD screen flickering in certain scenes via HDMI

oldskoolboarder

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wondering if you guys have run into the same problem as I.

My Wii U is connected via HDMI to my Denon 3310 AVR then HDMI to my Panny plasma. On certain scenes in Zelda HD where there's some flickering items, mostly flames/torches, the entire screen will seem to lose sync. Once the scene changes (no flames) the screen returns to normal. This is the only game where this happens.

Ideas?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I don't have the game to compare with but the only idea that comes to mind:
when your AVR records those scenes, does IT see flickering? If you connect it directly to the TV, does the flickering go away? That could help you see if it might somehow be a problem with how your AVR is passing it on to your TV. I understand that on a digital signal it only sends the moving parts of the screen so if there's too much movement maybe the AVR can't keep up sending the signal.

(just a wild guess)

Reactions: Ray Lewis

oldskoolboarder

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have not tried to remove the AVR out of the signal path. However, I should note that this is the only game showing the problem. None of my other Wii U titles (last one I played was LEGO City) have this issue. Just curious if this was specific to Wind Waker HD.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Flaming scenes only? Odd problem there. What hdmi type? Pre 1.3, 1.4? Some scenes might be produced to slow down. I am getting the game for Christmas so I have not played it yet. I would search for issues with WW hd and see if others referenced the same issues. I'd bet it is the game...designed or an issue with it.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Can you try to set the audio Stereo on Wii U side and see if it happens again. Could be silent streaming bug that happens pretty much on every receiver.

oldskoolboarder

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
trumpet-205, how this be the case? IIRC, that bug is audio related, not video.

In any case, your mention of the bug helped me remember that I'm using a Sewell IR remote extender via HDMI. It uses the CEC channel. I'm going to pull that out of the HDMI chain and see if the problem goes away.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-