Yet another bricked Wii. Please help!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Ledaren, Sep 20, 2011.

Sep 20, 2011
  1. Ledaren
    OP

Newcomer Ledaren Newbie

United States
    Hey there y'all, my first post here.
    So, tonight it finally happened, after 3 years of softmodding. My Wii was fully bricked and the System Menu won't boot. I have BootMii boot2 installed.

I'm a bit unsure as to how it happened, but I'm pretty sure it's got to do with mixturing around with System Themes and stuff. I installed some black theme and tried some different kinds the other day. Then tonight, the menu started glitching a bit and Cleanrip didn't work, so I decided to run a restore through BootMii (restore point from 2 days ago)... and that's what bricked the Wii. After that restore, the System Menu no longer boot. All I have is BootMii. HBC won't boot either.

Now, I've googled loads and loads. I've read something that installing a new System Menu Wad could get it to work again; that I somehow got the System Menu deleted. Is this true? I do have a 4.3E system menu wad, problem is, how am I to install it? Is there some wad manager you can run on the console in this state?

Seriously sorry about being a n00b. It's just really late here and I'm sad and worried, lol. [​IMG]

/Seb

EDIT: I found a backup of my SD card from some weeks ago. I ran that restore point and the Wii booted now. Still, I'd like to know if somebody can tell me why it happened, and if there is a wad manager to use when it's dead.

2. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    I have 2 theories (and they are no more than that) as to what caused this:

1) Your backup was corrupted.
    2) Your restore failed part way through.

I don't know if a corrupt backup file can even be restored, since bootmii might do some sort of check.

If this happens again, I suggest you download the latest hackmii installer and run bootmini.elf from BootMii's SD browser, then re-install the HBC and bootmii as boot2.

3. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    Next time you can try running the hackmii installer (the MINI version) from within bootmii to reinstall HBC as long as IOS58 is not corrupted.

4. mauifrog

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    I bet his nand restore completely failed, probably had like 3% nand usage. I doubt there where any usable ios to load hackmii or cboot2. Happens from time to time.

5. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    If you have bootmii in boot2, Ohneswanzenegger can gerate a fresh Nand if you know your keys and factory bad blocks.

But this is probably to adavanced for most people.

6. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

Just FYI, it is possible that certain "things" can be changed that will make any previous NAND dump fail to run. If it happens, even fresh NANDs generated by Ohneswanzenegger won't work.

7. Coto

Member Coto GBAtemp Addict

Chile
    Like what?? Perhaps a recent faulty/bad block in NAND (which wouldn't be listed as bad, if the dump was from a time ago)?

8. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Also curious as to what could cause a brick that a new NAND wouldn't fix. Pretty much all bricks caused by user error/stupidity are fixed by this.

Unless he's referring to a failed boot2 install (fixable with infectus), or hardware failure of some type, the only thing I can think of is the serial EEPROM somehow going corrupt...

9. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

I didn't say it causes a brick, it just renders any NAND dumps useless. And it's a fully legitimate function of the system, not related to hardware failure and usable by any running app.

10. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    Ok, I'm clueless to what you are hinting at. I give up. What is it? Please tell.