Yakuza 7 announced for worldwide release in 2020, is a turn-based RPG

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Aug 29, 2019.

Front-page

The next Yakuza title was bound to bring about some major changes, considering this is the first mainline entry that won't feature Kiryu as a protagonist, but it seems SEGA has some wild ideas up their sleeve. Announced in Japan was Yakuza 7, set for release as a PlayStation 4 exclusive on January 16, 2020. SEGA also intends to localize the game within the same year, bringing the game to both North America and Europe before the end of 2020. What makes Yakuza 7 such a radical departure is that rather than be an action-RPG, this game will be a turn-based JRPG, as seen in screenshots on the official site. This change came from the series developers wanting to try a completely different gameplay style, after having wrapped up Kiryu's story. In a comment made at the press conference where the game was announced, director Toshihiro Nagoshi mentioned that if fans happen to be disappointed with Yakuza 7's gameplay after the game launches, they will be happy to change back to the action-RPG formula for future games.

Discussion (43 replies)
  1. DBlaze

DBlaze I don't know what i'm doing.

Nov 15, 2006
    Netherlands
    I don't understand why they would make combat turn based in a yakuza game. I get it, they want to try something "new", but turn based combat in a game like this won't work well.

FateForWindows and WiiU like this.
  2. froid_san

froid_san GBAtemp Regular

Oct 16, 2015
    maybe because they plan on using multiple characters at once? maybe see the FF7 remake modified turn based system... dunno well have to wait and see more of that dramatic rpg they say in their official page

Troopage likes this.
  3. DBlaze

Nov 15, 2006
    Netherlands
    This is more persona turn based system, which is aweful for a game like this. FFXV / 7 remake would fit it better yes, but that's not what it is.

FateForWindows likes this.
  4. froid_san

froid_san GBAtemp Regular

Oct 16, 2015
    have no problem with persona turn based system, but why? if its an spin off like yakuza dead souls, I won't mind though.

*edit*

isn't that that dude supposed to be a mobile game? or if i remember correctly there's supposed to be a yakuza mobile game back then? and this is somewhat a port of it? since its seems a like mobile port explaining the turn base.

Last edited by froid_san, Aug 29, 2019
  5. matthi321

matthi321 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 14, 2013
    i hope it will be scripted battles then, and not wild encounters

6. teamlocust

teamlocust Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 28, 2017
    India
    they just killed yakuza

fanheavy, r5xscn and Silent_Gunner like this.
  7. seanp2500

seanp2500 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 2, 2010
    United States
    um i'd have to see it in action but on paper sounds like a horrible idea

8. smileyhead

smileyhead This is definitely not a robotic component!

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Budakeszi, Hungary
    I really need to try out the Yakuza games. This looks dope af

9. DBlaze

Nov 15, 2006
    Netherlands
    No, it's full on Yakuza 7.

FateForWindows likes this.
  10. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Mad Dog of Rambling and Insanity

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    Majima: KIRYU-CHAN!? THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT!?

Kiryu: I don't know, I'm not the main character anymore! I was just minding my business in Kamurocho just now! I'm supposed to be in hiding! Actually, how did you find me, anyways? There's-

Majima: NEVER MIND THAT! The Tojo Clan needs you to save it again because of this dude Ichiban who can't do shit by himself! Hell, even I could do it by myself back in the day!

Kiryu: What even is this thing you're telling me about, anyways?

Majima: Lookie here, Kazzy-kun!

*shows April Fools video of battle system*

Kiryu: Nani...?

Majima: You don't have to watch over that girl anymore, do you!? You're free now!

Kiryu: But I've saved the Tojo Clan and prevented wars so many times that it became stale...

Majima: That would be preferable to this fucking shit!

Kiryu: I shouldn't have left the Tojo Clan in 2005...

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

In all seriousness, this is like the inverse situation of people complaining about Final Fantasy 7 Remake not being turn-based; this is a series that was clearly built upon being a beat em' up with RPG elements, and now we're getting this turn-based BS that, well, we already know how it looks in action.

Now, compare this to Persona 5:

Which do you think looks snappier? Because the above looks like a chore in comparison!

11. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Gotta love when April Fools becomes reality.

12. Silent_Gunner

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    Considering I just compared Persona to this new battle system, and that Persona 2's main storyline involves rumors becoming reality...is this all a cruel joke by Nyarlathotep? Considering the theories people have been piecing together about Persona 5: The Royal, a certain enemy whose only appearance was in Eternal Punishment...

...Yeah, I'm imagining things.

13. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    To think I was just playing Persona 2: Innocent Sin recently too. Regardless, I'm looking forward to this.

FateForWindows and Silent_Gunner like this.
  14. Silent_Gunner

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    Oh fuck...did you already beat the game...!?

15. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    No, I barely scratched the beginning.

16. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    So instead of a 50 hour game we are looking at a 100 hour game:lol: I'm up for change and mayb be good idea if part of Yr team was women

17. r5xscn

r5xscn GBAtemp Regular

Apr 8, 2014
    Antarctica
    On earth, somewhere
    IMO, this is the equivalent of turning an MGS game into a pachinko game for Yakuza series lol. FFS, Sega, you got the formula right. I hope this is just a late April fools joke.

18. KarlslandOtaku

KarlslandOtaku Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2013
    United States
    What an odd choice... :unsure:

19. Justinde75

Justinde75 Capsule Co's VGM Addict

GBAtemp Patron
    Justinde75 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    West City
    I actually love this because I really want more amazing turn based rpgs. But personally I think it would've been better to make a spinoff series for the rpg style. But I guess judgement has the style now? Since they'll probably keep the action style in that game