ROM Hack RELEASE Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Name De-Localization

rsc-pl

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What's impressed me is that Xenoblade 3 isn't altering the names of the core cast for English. It's basically the same with minor adjustments for the phonetics.
ノア (Noa; Noah)
ランツ (Rantsu; Lanz)
ユーニ (Yūni; Eunie)
ミオ (Mio)
タイオン (Taion)
セナ (Sena)
Xenoblade 1 was similar. Even script wasn't THAT butchered. But X2... welp...

GoetiaGC

Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Ack I meant to add this to the original post, thanks for asking.

Due to it being a bit of a hack, you have to place the whole download into
\yuzu\sdmc\atmosphere\contents\{DLC_ID}

So it should end up look something like
\yuzu\sdmc\atmosphere\contents\{DLC_ID}\romfs\bdat\gb\...

Unfortunately this means when you view the properties in Yuzu, it won't show it as an Add-On, so there's no easy way to enable/disable. But it does work.

I found the solution in another thread in here talking about Xenoblade 2 mods but the actual DLC_ID Yuzu (and Ryujinx) is looking for is 0100E95004039003 so it should look something like this:

yuzu\sdmc\atmosphere\contents\0100E95004039003\romfs\bdat\gb\...

For Ryujinx it should be:

\mods\contents\0100E95004039003\romfs\bdat\gb\...

Putting the files in any other folder than this is what causes Yuzu to crash upon trying to boot the game.

Reactions: archerboy

archerboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I found the solution in another thread in here talking about Xenoblade 2 mods but the actual DLC_ID Yuzu (and Ryujinx) is looking for is 0100E95004039003 so it should look something like this:

yuzu\sdmc\atmosphere\contents\0100E95004039003\romfs\bdat\gb\...

For Ryujinx it should be:

\mods\contents\0100E95004039003\romfs\bdat\gb\...

Putting the files in any other folder than this is what causes Yuzu to crash upon trying to boot the game.
Hmm theoretically it should be any DLC you have installed but I happened to use -9003 as well so maybe not. Thanks for the Ryujinx one too

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The translation needs whole rewrite, there's so many changes that I don't even know where to start, but good thing that you changed the names for people that don't know Japanese (to play original) at least.

Wanting and defending altered names (in 2022 on the top of it) is beyond my comprehension.
Well that is what localization is, going for the same effect as the original, even if someone doesn't know its Japanese.

Now the real crime is Hikari for Mythra...? Which is like leaps away from lit. "Fire" to "Pyra."

Name changes are fine when its clearly the intention being carried, like localization is supposed to do. So Pyra works. Herald (from Teni) doesn't, especially when this localization doesn't offer changing names already for some reason.

That being said, loaded up with my complete save file from release and seeing "KOS-MOS RE: e" everywhere?

Attachments

• 2022032623001600-659B13F48903294AE2B3FA4F12DA9898[1].jpg
    2022032623001600-659B13F48903294AE2B3FA4F12DA9898[1].jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 151
Last edited by Tsukiru,

archerboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm kind of curious, how does the colon mess with your script?
Actually that was a wrong guess, I assumed it was me forgetting to escape punctuation like I tend to for Regex.
It's actually a really crappy check I threw in to detect if there were uppercase versions of any names and KOS-MOS happens to be already in all caps so it triggers it. It just matched "( KOS-MOS ) Re:" since the NA version is without the 'Re:' part and turned it into "( KOS-MOS RE: ) Re:"

Reactions: Tsukiru

.Darky

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
I'm glad OP is still around. Gives me hope DLC will eventually have localized names before the release of the 3rd game.

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only knew of a few character name changes but I heavily underestimated the number of area name changes. I do get the intent, a game dealing with how different people and blades are with one another is weird when everyone (minus Rex) has clearly Japanese names. But it also nothing is cooler than gaving a gramps named Seiryu. At the very least I learned that the titans (in both languages) are deadly sins, which I guess would be more obvious if they kept the Latin.

All that to say, when can we expect an update?

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chill with the replies, but they've already said this isn't to be a massive translation overhaul. Just to be names for when you use the Japanese audio.

archerboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I know it would be a massive undertaking but I can hope. 🥺😭
I would even be willing to fork over some money for it to happen. I know it would be a massive undertaking but I can hope. 🥺😭
Believe me when I say I would love to do one and I think most people can agree the game deserves a proper translation, but even if I found the time to do it, it's still way beyond my skillset at the moment.

Reactions: TankedThomas

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I should've mentioned that Artifice Ophion is named Serpent in Japanese. Not sure how much that matters for how little it's mentioned but it was something I noticed in Chapter 3.

archerboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm glad OP is still around. Gives me hope DLC will eventually have localized names before the release of the 3rd game.
DLC for base game is fixed but unfortunately it looks like Torna is an impossibility at the moment with how this patch works since it's a bit hacky.
It's definitely not the worst playing with the half translation since the cast is smaller, but you'll definitely get whiplash from the nation names.

archerboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Oh I should've mentioned that Artifice Ophion is named Serpent in Japanese. Not sure how much that matters for how little it's mentioned but it was something I noticed in Chapter 3.
I ended up keeping most names related to the world "mechanics" untouched because it felt like they were one step away from the scope of this project towards a rewrite.
But if there's an interest, I had a few things in mind for a different patch, where I just fix the most obvious/obnoxious changes, like pic related

1651000023702.png

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ended up keeping most names related to the world "mechanics" untouched because it felt like they were one step away from the scope of this project towards a rewrite.
But if there's an interest, I had a few things in mind for a different patch, where I just fix the most obvious/obnoxious changes, like pic related

View attachment 307644
That's fair, it's not like Serpent would refer to anything else compared to all the other changes. And I'm picky cause "Giant/Machine God" is a real downgrade from Bionis and Mechonis.

archerboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
And I'm picky cause "Giant/Machine God" is a real downgrade from Bionis and Mechonis.
Oh for sure, that's why I just made the hard rule of 'no Kanji' and 'no mechanics' because it started veering into either transliteration or (even more) subjective interpretation. Serpent was on there until I saw the scenes again and felt like characters shouting "Serpent!" just didn't really connect

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge