archerboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Name De-Localization Patch

Tired of being confused from 10 different names in a scene with only 5 people? Well you're in luck - thanks to amazing community support, you can now play XBC2 with the original JP names!
What this is for: Replacing the primary character and place names with the original Japanese ones.​
What it's NOT for: Fixing the heavy localization or changing every single NPC and landmark back.​
The scope here is spoken, fictional names for the base game and DLC (not TGC), so any names with kanji will remain untouched. Likewise if the localization was largely identical (Vandam/Vandham, Elpis/Elpys), it was not replaced.

2021060113135600_c.jpg 2021060113125600_c.jpg 2021060113130600_c.jpg

#######################v2.0
## 1. Primary Characters
## 2. Secondary Characters
## 3. Nations
## 4. Locations
## 5. Blades
## 6. Poppi/Hana
## 7. Misc.
#######################
## [1] Primary Characters
Addam,アデル,Adel
Aegaeon,ワダツミ,Wadatsumi
Akhos,ヨシツネ,Yoshitsune
Amalthus,マルベーニ,Marveni
Bana,バーン,Bahn
Brighid,カグツチ,Kagutsuchi
Dromarch,ビャッコ,Byakko
Haze,カスミ,Kasumi
Jin,シン,Shin
Lora,ラウラ,Laura
Pyra,ホムラ,Homura
Mythra,ヒカリ,Hikari
Malos,メツ,Metsu
Mikhail,サタヒコ,Satahiko
Mik,サタ,Sata
Milton,ミルト,Milt
Minoth,ミノチ,Minochi
Mòrag,メレフ,Meleph
Ladair,ラハット,Lahat
Nia,ニア,Niyah
Patroka,ベンケイ,Benkei
Pandoria,サイカ,Saika
Pandy,(NA TL),Saika
Obrona,カムイ,Kamui
## Zeke ##
## Zeke,ジーク,Jik/Sig/Zeke
## Zekenator,アルティメット,Ultimate
Ozychlyrus,ジーフリト,Sigurd
von Genbu,B・極・玄武,B Ultimate Genbu
von|Genbu,B・極・玄武,B|Ultimate Genbu
Turters,カメキチ,Kamekichi
#######################
## [2] Secondary Characters
Ammy,マリー,Mari
Brounev,ブリューネ,Brunet
Corinne,コルレル,Correl
Dughall,モーフ,Morph
Eulogimenos,ゼーリッヒ,Serich
Galea,ガラテア,Galatea
Gort,ゴウト,Gotho
Gout,ゴウト,Gotho
Hector,ヘルテル,Hertel
Iona,イオン,Ion
Mabon,ドフセイ,Dofusei
## ordinato (Italian)
Meldinare,モルディナート,Mordinato
Niall,ネフェル,Nefer
Ardanach,エル,El
Niranira,ニルニー,Nilny
## οὐσία (Greek)
Ontos,ウーシア,Ousia
Origo,オルドー,Oldo
Ornelia,オルネラ,Ornella
Padraig,パクス,Pax
Pupunin,プニン,Punin
Raqura,ラゲルト,Lagert
Rhadallis,ラダリア,Radalia
Rhys,リリオ,Lilio
Soosoo,センゾー,Senzo
Tatazo,タテゾー,Tatezo
Zettar,ゼッタ,Zetta
#######################
## [3] Nations
Argentum,アヴァリティア,Avaritia
Argentuman,アヴァリティア人,Avaritian
Argentumans,アヴァリティア人,Avaritians
Coeia,シヤ,Shiya
Coeian,シヤ人,Shiyan
Coeians,シヤ人,Shiyans
## Estham,エスタム,Estam
Gormott,グーラ,Gula
Gormotti,グーラ人,Gulan
Gormottis,グーラ人,Gulans
Indol,アーケディア,Acedia
Indoline,アーケディア人,Acedian
Indolines,アーケディア人,Acedians
Leftheria,リベラリタス,Liberalitas
Leftherian,リベラリタス人,Liberalitian
Leftherians,リベラリタス人,Liberalitians
Morytha,モルス,Mors
Morythan,モルス人,Mortian
Morythans,モルス人,Mortians
Mor Ardain,スペルビア,Superbia
Mor Ardainian,x,Superbian
Mor'dain,(NPC dialogue),S'perbia
Ardainian,スペルビア人,Superbian
Ardainians,スペルビア人,Superbians
Ardaaaainian,(NPC dialogue),Superbiaaaan
Regideria,リジデリア,Rigideria
Regiderian,リジデリア人,Rigiderian
Regiderians,リジデリア人,Rigiderians
## Esperanza (Spanish)
Spessia,スペランザ,Speranza
Tantal,ルクスリア,Luxuria
Tantalese,ルクスリア人,Luxurian
Torna,イーラ,Iira
Tornans,イーラ人,Iirans
Uraya,インヴィディア,Invidia
Urayan,インヴィディア人,Invidian
#######################
## [4] Locations
Alrest,アルスト,Alst
Alba Cavanich,アルバ・マーゲン,Alba Margen
Auresco,アウルリウム,Aurium
Azurda,セイリュウ,Seiryu
Cordell,イラーダ,Erada
Cyclus Sea,トルネア海,Tornea Sea
Garfont,フレースヴェルグ,Hræsvelgr
Gar-something,(NPC dialogue),Hræsomething
Goetuis,ゴートイスウト,Goth Isut
Goldmouth,ゴルトムント,Goldmund
Fonsa Myma,フォンス・マイム,Fons Maim
Fonsett,イヤサキ,Iyasaki
Hardhaigh,ハーダシャル,Hadashal
Lasaria,リセリア,Lisaria
Olethro,カラム,Karam
Omrantha,ホメロパ,Homeropa
Porton,ポルタ,Porta
## Τέως (Greek)
Theosoir,テオスアウレ,Teos Aure
## Πίστις (Greek)
Theospiti,テオスピスティ,Teos Pistis
## Kαρδία (Greek)
Theoscaldia,テオスカルディア,Teos Cardia
Torigoth,トリゴ,Trigo
#######################
## [5] Blades
Adenine,シキ,Shiki
Agate,メノウ,Meno
Boreas,イダテン,Idaten
Corvin,カムヤ,Kamuya
Cressidus,オオツチ,Ootsuchi
Crossette,ヒバナ,Hibana
Dagas,クビラ,Kubira
Dahlia,ツキ,Tsuki
Electra,ライコ,Raiko
Finch,イブキ,Ibuki
Fiora,フィオルン,Fiorung
Floren,ホタル,Hotaru
Godfrey,グレン,Glen
Gorg,ユウオウ,Yuou
Herald,テンイ,Ten'i
Kasandra,カサネ,Kasane
Kora,ザクロ,Zakuro
KOS-MOS,KOS-MOS Re:,KOS-MOS Re:
Lila,キク,Kiku
Newt,ニューツ,Newt
Nim,ウカ,Uka
Perceval,ヴァサラ,Vasara
Perdido,ラゴウ,Rago
Perun,トキハ,Tokiha
Praxis,ミクマリ,Mikumari
Roc,スザク,Suzaku
Rosa,サクラ,Sakura
Rosas,(Plural),Sakuras
Sever,ザンテツ,Zantetsu
Sheba,リンネ,Linne
T-elos,T-elos Re:,T-elos Re:
Theory,オリ,Seori
Ursula,ナナコオリ,Nanakoori
Vale,メイ,Mei
Vess,ムスビ,Musubi
Wulfric,ヂカラオ,Jikarao
Zenobia,ヤエギリ,Yaegiri
#######################
## [6] Poppi/Hana
Poppibuster,ハナバスター,Hanabuster
Poppi Quantum Technochampion π,ハナ ジャッジメント・デイモード,Hana Judgement Day Mode
Quantum Technochampion π,x,Judgement Day Mode
Poppi QTπ,ハナ JD,Hana JD
Poppi Quixotic Tutelar, ハナ ジャスティス・ナイトモード,Hana Justice Knight Mode
Quixotic Tutelar,x,Justice Knight Mode
Poppi QT,ハナ JK,Hana JK
Poppi α,ハナ JS,Hana JS
Poppi,ハナ,Hana
#######################
## [7] Misc.
Addamites,アデル派,Adellites
blushy-crushy,もえ,moe
counter-Addamites,アデル派,counter-Adellites
Cootie-pie,(NA TL),Jay Dee Mode
Popster,(NA TL),Hana
Poopi,(NA TL),Nana
## Liuto (Italian)
Torigonda,トリゴリウト,Trigolute
## Lines
Everyone say 'Glarna'!,皆さん笑って笑って〜,Everyone smile!
Strong like ant,これぞまさにアンー,Strong like Antm*n

Instructions:
For this patch to work you must place the files into any installed DLC_ID folder for it to work.
For a list of all possible ID's click here.

Then ensure sure you have LayeredFS enabled when playing the game.
You should see "Torna" translated to "Iira" on the Menu Screen.

For a modded Switch
Download the zip and extract to your SD card with the exact structure of
atmosphere\contents\{DLC_ID}\(files here)

You should get something like
atmosphere\contents\0100E95004039003\romfs\dbat\gb\*.dbat​
Capture.PNG

For Yuzu
Download the zip and extract to system folder of
\yuzu\load\{DLC_ID}\{Whatever name you want}\(files go here)​

Note:
  • You may have to remove and reinstall all DLC and updates for it to work on newer Yuzu builds
  • The mod will not show up in the Yuzu UI because it's not under the main game ID
For Ryujinx
Download the zip and extract to system folder of
\mods\contents\{DLC_ID}\(file here)​

Status
The patch is 100% working and playable on base game and its DLC - tested on v2.0.2 and v2.1.0 of XBC2, modded Switch and Yuzu.
However there are a fair number of bugs found with Mor Ardain and character names. These are planned to be fixed in patch v2.

Known Bugs
  • On the menu screen where it says "Swap to X" the names will often be cut off early (e.g. "Swap to Homur") due to the layout being pixel perfect.
  • TGC has the names translated in the menus but not in the dialogue.
Much Thanks
@Rodrigo Mafra for making this even possible with the script extraction and help.
Styley and saadmirza14 for their support and testing.
To all the users who contributed to the Fandom, this JP guide, and the JP wiki.
Feel free to join the Discord to report any bugs you find.

Code:
#Changelog
[08/07/2022]
Patch v2 and XB3 are currently in progress.
Updated OP and renamed files to be more clear which version is which.

[05/26/2022]
Patch v2.0 released!...And broke a lot of things. Rolled back to v1.1

[02/09/2022]
Updated OP with Yuzu info
Patch v1.1 is almost ready

v1.0 [06.01.21]
Public release

Attachments

• unknown.png
    unknown.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 258
  • Old v1.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 77
  • v1.1.zip
    4.6 MB · Views: 210
Last edited by archerboy,

Garuda357

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Very nice. Are you extending this to the titans names eventually?

Edit: nevermind, seems I didn't notice the spoiler with all the changes.

Last edited by Garuda357,
Reactions: archerboy

.Darky

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
This is great news! I'm still working on the first Xenoblade game, but thankfully there weren't as many name changes as in the second game so I was ok with it. I was honestly dreading the experience I would have while playing Xenoblade 2 thanks to the heavy localization and the fact I can understand enough japanese to notice when spoken dialogue is way different to the subtitles. Not anymore though, thanks man.

DracoPOD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the great mod, I'm definitely going to use it right away. I hope it's not too presumptuous of me to use my first post to make some suggestions.

ジーク should probably be Sieg, since that's the usual German word and name in these cases, and also what's on the Japanese wiki page for ジーク, along with Zeke.

イーラ should probably be Ira, to fit the other deadly sin countries.

Everything else I was going to make a suggestion about, further research showed that you already picked the best option, so I'd say you did an excellent job, actually. It does seem like there should be a better way to write Gotoisuit, but if there is it's probably German inspired and I'm not that good with German.

Oh! there was one more: googling ローデリッヒ immediately gives several results with Roderich, and seeing as that's a more common spelling than Roederich by far, that's probably the one they were going for.

Apologies if I'm missing any information that could better inform these suggestions, and thanks again for your work!

Garuda357

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Thanks for the great mod, I'm definitely going to use it right away. I hope it's not too presumptuous of me to use my first post to make some suggestions.

ジーク should probably be Sieg, since that's the usual German word and name in these cases, and also what's on the Japanese wiki page for ジーク, along with Zeke.

イーラ should probably be Ira, to fit the other deadly sin countries.

Everything else I was going to make a suggestion about, further research showed that you already picked the best option, so I'd say you did an excellent job, actually. It does seem like there should be a better way to write Gotoisuit, but if there is it's probably German inspired and I'm not that good with German.

Oh! there was one more: googling ローデリッヒ immediately gives several results with Roderich, and seeing as that's a more common spelling than Roederich by far, that's probably the one they were going for.

Apologies if I'm missing any information that could better inform these suggestions, and thanks again for your work!
I think it is cool to try to improve the patch.

Regarding the first point you make, it should be Zeke as in the promotional material.

IMG_20210609_191600.jpg

I agree with point two about Ira and also point three, about Roderich.

There's also this about Nia in japanese
IMG_20210609_191842.jpg

There are some that really vary based on how you want to tackle them.

For what I saw in the site, the rest of Main Characters and Titans are ok. Sadly there's not much of this kind of stuff. Checking the official art book, everything is in japanese so far(no direct use of English I mean, like in the site promotional material).

I'd like to make some comments of my own:

-Hugo=Yugo. Because they are pronounced the same, has happened in other media. It could be either really.
-Ozychlyrus, ジーフリト, Sigurd. This one is a correct translation, but is accurate with the intent of the patch? Because that's not how japanese call the character Siegfried.
-Amalthus, マルベーニ, Marveni. Marbehni/Malbehni. There's the use of the japanese "b" and not "v" and an extended vowel sound.
-Bana, バーン, Ban. Same here, Bahn seems better.
-Agate, メノウ, Meno. Menou, another extended sound.
-Cressidus, オオツチ, Otsuchi. Ootsuchi, same scenario.
-Fiora, フィオルン, Fiorung. Sadly there's not a name like in the promo material of XB2, but she should be Fiorun, without the "g".
-Godfrey, グレン, Glen. This one is more like Guren, which is a fine japanese name. Same stuff like Yugo=Hugo.
-Perdido, ラゴウ, Rago. Ragou, another missing vowel.
-Sheba, リンネ, Linne. Rinne seems like the more japanese one.
-Brionac, ブリューナク, Brunak. Actually this is the way how japanese write Brionac, which was already correct.
-Auresco, アウルリウム, Aulrium. This should be Aurium/Aurum. Blame the harships of using "r"s in japanese. The root of this name comes from Aurum which is Gold.
-Goetuis, ゴートイスウト, Gotoisuit. What I looked for lead me to Goat Isut/Goth Isut, with Goth being another European culture reference and Isut being a reference to old temples.

That's all what I have to share, I hope the author checks this out.

archerboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
First and foremost, yes I love the feedback and criticism. The more the better.
And I guess in just order to keep things neat instead of nesting quotes, the names in bold are what I'll probably change them to.

Zeke, Sîvrit, Niyah, Fiorung
I had come across this promotional piece before but for somehow overlooked the Zeke and Niyah parts, so I'll definitely switch it to those. And Fiorung's bizarre spelling was also confirmed in the JP credits of XBC1, it had both the JP and their English versions.
As for Zeke's full name, I went back and forth. Because the game pulls from so many ethnicities, I can't really tell if they're going with the Germanic spelling, the English version of the German name, or is it just the original Norse one. Sigurd vs Sigurðr vs Siegfried vs Sîvrit? I suppose Sîvrit might be the better choice since it's the phonetically closest to ジーフリト.

Iira
I'm still mixed on this one. I think most people will read "Iran" with a short 'i' (and think of the real country) first since English doesn't have many/any? words that start with an 'i' that is read as a long 'e'. So you need to facilitate it with ea/ie/ei/ii/iy/y and to me, Iira was a little better compared to something like Yra or Iyra or Eara/Era.

Meno (Agate), Ootsuchi (Cressidus), Rago (Peridido)
And speaking of long vowels, I chose to omit any double vowels if the elongation followed traditional English rules. So words with long vowel endings don't need two vowels in my mind. But something like Otsuchi was wrong, definitely should be Ootsuchi.

Hugo (Yugo), Glen (Guren), Linne (Rinne)
I was assuming that with the game's Western influences, it was going for the English equivalents instead of the straight Japanese ones. Either way I should be consistent [Hugo, Glen, and Linne] instead of [Yugo, Guren, Rinne]. I'm probably going to stick with the former.

Bahn, Roderich, Brionac, Aurium, Goth Isut

Good call on all these, that really helps. ゴートイスウト in particular was one of the names I was banging my head on for a while (ヂカラオ being the other), so anything besides Gotoisuit is preferable to me. Though I guess this does bring up the same issue of Ira vs Iira since I assume Isut is a long 'e' sound.

Marveni
I was sticking with the Italian influences for this one but correct me if that's not the proper spelling for it.
-------
So yeah, let me know if you all agree/disagree. I already had a few rounds of discussion whittling it down to this point in the first place - it's definitely been a nice community effort.

And I guess as a quick update, next patch version will be coming soon. The DLC quests will be translated (not TGC unfortunately) as well as a few bug fixes, like 'P-Poppi!' 'von Genbu' and 'Mor Ardain' sometimes not being translated. And these aforementioned name changes of course.

@jimkage
@DracoPOD

Last edited by archerboy,
Reactions: Garuda357

Garuda357

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Nice very nice.

Zeke, Sîvrit, Niyah, Fiorung
Nice to see the promo with her name again, I couldn't find it so I played safe there. Sîvrit is also very good. The game definitely tackles a lot of cultures in the japanese version too, which explains all the localization changes.

Iira
Absolutely understandable.

Meno (Agate), Ootsuchi (Cressidus), Rago (Peridido)
Yeah I thought you were going for this exactly, but I felt like I had to mention these to be consistent with the things I was trying to mention.

Hugo (Yugo), Glen (Guren), Linne (Rinne)
Here I just thought "Is consistent to aim for japanese style names or with the similar equivalent pronunciation?" Like I mentioned, it was ultimately a matter of choice because both are correct really. At least for me, their names in japanese mode, to call it something, don't hold any significance like most other blades.

Bahn, Roderich, Brionac, Aurium, Goth Isut
I went with how the japanese article I read that contained the word "Isut" was using the same characters, so it is one of these funky japanese katakana things that "just works". Funny how you note you had struggles with "ヂカラオ", until I researched about it I always heard them call him ChikaraOu, which makes much more sense.

Marveni
Here I was just following the usual japanese phonetics rules, knowing how particular the language is for the usage of the letter "v". To be honest for me his name is one of the weirdest of the cast. That said, I'd not know better if the name is influenced by any European thing like many others are.

Well, cool to see you take feedback and give feedback as well. Ultimately it is your call and overall it is pretty good. It is never late for this kind of work, and I can always make another run to appreciate this from start to end.

archerboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
At least for me, their names in japanese mode, to call it something, don't hold any significance like most other blades.

That's a good point, because there are a fair number of blades with clearly JP orientated names. I can definitely be convinced either way. I also appreciate the mentions on the double vowels, it is something I subconsciously overlook at times.

And yeah it's never too late - I was starting a 2nd playthrough and the name mismatch was the first thing I thought of, so that's why I even decided to make this.

Here's hoping we can figure out the technical side to get TGC to work.

Reactions: Garuda357

Anko

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Cyclus Sea, ??, ??
That's トルネア海, which is the Tornea Sea.
Playing through the game right now, I'll try and provide the remaining names. Hopefully the Japanese equivalent of the White Chair would be mentioned in cutscenes, coz that's how I caught the Tornea Sea.
Edit: Dughall's JP name is モーフ, it isn't listed in the wiki. Not quite sure what would be the intended name, Mofu? Morph?

Last edited by Anko,

Saad14

Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
I tried using this mod on both Yuzu and Ryujinx. It seems like this mod is just not compatible with either of them. Title screen still says Torna instead of Iiru.

Windsoar

Trophies
XP
Country
How can I get this to work with Yuzu? I followed the instructions and placed the files in the respective DLC ID folders. But it crashes Yuzu instead. Can't even load the game. Even when I have the mod disabled in Yuzu, the game still wouldn't load. I had to remove the files and folders from the contents folder before my game loaded. My games file type is NSP if it matters. Game version is 2.1.0.

archerboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
How can I get this to work with Yuzu? I followed the instructions and placed the files in the respective DLC ID folders. But it crashes Yuzu instead. Can't even load the game. Even when I have the mod disabled in Yuzu, the game still wouldn't load. I had to remove the files and folders from the contents folder before my game loaded. My games file type is NSP if it matters. Game version is 2.1.0.

Ack I meant to add this to the original post, thanks for asking.

Due to it being a bit of a hack, you have to place the whole download into
\yuzu\sdmc\atmosphere\contents\{DLC_ID}

So it should end up look something like
\yuzu\sdmc\atmosphere\contents\{DLC_ID}\romfs\bdat\gb\...

Unfortunately this means when you view the properties in Yuzu, it won't show it as an Add-On, so there's no easy way to enable/disable. But it does work.

rsc-pl

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The translation needs whole rewrite, there's so many changes that I don't even know where to start, but good thing that you changed the names for people that don't know Japanese (to play original) at least.

Wanting Pyra's name in english to be Homura is the definition of not being able to see the forest for the trees.
Wanting and defending altered names (in 2022 on the top of it) is beyond my comprehension.

Nevermore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's impressed me is that Xenoblade 3 isn't altering the names of the core cast for English. It's basically the same with minor adjustments for the phonetics.
ノア (Noa; Noah)
ランツ (Rantsu; Lanz)
ユーニ (Yūni; Eunie)
ミオ (Mio)
タイオン (Taion)
セナ (Sena)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...