Can someone port Sonic 3 A.I.R. to the Wii U? Surprised it hasn't yet, as it went open source in October 2021

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, like the title reads, can we please get Sonic 3 A.I.R. ported to the Wii U to be played as homebrew? The decomps of 1,2, and CD have already been ported to the Wii U in the past, so getting this on the Wii U would really round out the Origins experience on the Wii U despite the actual collection not being released for it.

Github for the open source is here: https://github.com/Eukaryot/sonic3air

I would do it myself, but I don't know a damn thing that I'm doing when it comes to this kind of stuff lol.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, like the title reads, can we please get Sonic 3 A.I.R. ported to the Wii U to be played as homebrew? The decomps of 1,2, and CD have already been ported to the Wii U in the past, so getting this on the Wii U would really round out the Origins experience on the Wii U despite the actual collection not being released for it.

I would do it myself, but I don't know a damn thing that I'm doing when it comes to this kind of stuff lol.
Get right on it

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get right on it
Like my last sentence stated: "I would do it myself, but I don't know a damn thing that I'm doing when it comes to this kind of stuff lol."

Having said that, I would gladly comission someone to port the source code and get it playable on the Wii U. It may not be much, but I'd throw down upwards of $50 to the first person to do it.

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait.... When was sonic 1 +2 for wii u done?? I got the sonic cd version but while it's playable its quite buggy.
Around that same time, I grabbed them off Discord. Yeah, they're by no means perfect, but they work well enough and they did receive better versions eventually as well

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Around that same time, I grabbed them off Discord. Yeah, they're by no means perfect, but they work well enough and they did receive better versions eventually as well
Aw man! I remember something about them maybe being done but I never saw a release, then the clownacy cd one i got! Any links at all??

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aw man! I remember something about them maybe being done but I never saw a release, then the clownacy cd one i got! Any links at all??
I'm pretty sure I came across them in the 4TheUsers Discord, it was a bit buried as I recall, but when I have a few minutes on my computer today (currently on phone) I'll try and dig them up for ya.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm pretty sure I came across them in the 4TheUsers Discord, it was a bit buried as I recall, but when I have a few minutes on my computer today (currently on phone) I'll try and dig them up for ya.
If you get a few mins spare mate awesome! Not a problem if you can't, I'll have a dig laters myself but probs not till 2moro.

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

tehtemp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
where we can get 1, 2 and cd?
Mika already mentioned where 1 and 2 are, so here is Sonic CD: https://github.com/Clownacy/Sonic-CD-11-Decompilation/releases/tag/wiiu-v0.2
Here's the gitlab: https://gitlab.com/QuarkTheAwesome/sonic2013-wiiu with that you can get the 1 and 2 decomps working on the Wii U, you'll need to provide the appropriate files from the 1 and 2 mobile port decomps.
Thanks! For the SonicCD one, you put the data.rdsk file on your SD card root's /SonicCD/ directory.

However, where do you put the data.rdsk file for Sonic 1 and 2? The readme over at Quark's repo isn't clear about this. Is it simply /Sonic1/ and /Sonic2/?

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mika already mentioned where 1 and 2 are, so here is Sonic CD: https://github.com/Clownacy/Sonic-CD-11-Decompilation/releases/tag/wiiu-v0.2

Thanks! For the SonicCD one, you put the data.rdsk file on your SD card root's /SonicCD/ directory.

However, where do you put the data.rdsk file for Sonic 1 and 2? The readme over at Quark's repo isn't clear about this. Is it simply /Sonic1/ and /Sonic2/?
Looks like my setup has Sonic 1's data.rsdk alongside the homebrew .rpx in /wiiu/apps/Sonic1 and likewise for data.rsdk for Sonic 2 in /wiiu/apps/Sonic2

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

SDL2 for Wii U exists so this should be a relatively simple port job for somebody familiar with that, depending on how much platform specific code it uses. SDL itself is cross platform but that doesn't mean everything written for it is automatically cross platform.

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
SDL2 for Wii U exists so this should be a relatively simple port job for somebody familiar with that, depending on how much platform specific code it uses. SDL itself is cross platform but that doesn't mean everything written for it is automatically cross platform.
The danger with SDL apps is whether they rely heavily on OpenGL, which SDL makes quite easy. Sonic 3 AIR seems to do exactly this. It does have a software renderer, but the code itself has no support for compiling without opengl - it just switches between opengl and software with if statements - and there's loads of classes that do things like use GLUint and other stuff.
I guess I'm saying that it'd require some pretty heavy engine modification and maybe a GX2 port; as opposed to "pure" SDL apps which can sometimes be as simple as tweaking the makefile.

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The danger with SDL apps is whether they rely heavily on OpenGL, which SDL makes quite easy. Sonic 3 AIR seems to do exactly this. It does have a software renderer, but the code itself has no support for compiling without opengl - it just switches between opengl and software with if statements - and there's loads of classes that do things like use GLUint and other stuff.
I guess I'm saying that it'd require some pretty heavy engine modification and maybe a GX2 port; as opposed to "pure" SDL apps which can sometimes be as simple as tweaking the makefile.
oh dang, didn't think it would be such an undertaking, that's a shame

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh dang, didn't think it would be such an undertaking, that's a shame
I learned a few days ago that the wiiu has no opengl for it. I was able to compile gx2 though using a very old version of wut. I posted a printscreen of it when it finished compiling, but I'm not even really sure how to use it or what it did.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might want to add that there's a dependency for it that requires "make install," but there's a bug with devkitpro when it comes to that particular function via cmd prompt. it gets stuck after compiling, so it doesn't move stuff to the right places. as a result, the library, include, and share folders and subfolders must be moved to wut iirc. linux has no such problem, and they probably usually use msys2 on windows anyway. I never see people talking about using cmd prompt, but I've accomplished a lot with it. almost everything I've compiled in linux has worked in windows cmd prompt aside from maybe a few things, not very many.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...