Xbox One X and Xbox One S to get FreeSync, other features

fsync.png

During the Inside Xbox show, Microsoft announced that Alpha Ring members will soon get an update that adds FreeSync to Xbox One X and Xbox One S. Similar to Nvidia's G-SYNC, FreeSync is an AMD technology that matches the refresh rate of compatible displays with the framerate of the graphics card. This reduces stuttering and screen tearing to make gameplay more smooth. This feature was until now exclusive to PC players and required a compatible AMD graphics card and a monitor with FreeSync support. However, console players usually play on a TV and since TVs generally don't support FreeSync , most players likely won't be able to make use of the feature, unless they play on a compatible monitor.

Another noteworthy thing that was announced is an automatic Low Latency Mode on supported displays. The problem with TVs is that a lot of them mess with the video to enhance the quality, but at the cost of latency. The Auto Low Latency Mode fixes that by forcing your TV to automatically switch to the mode that has the lowest latency.

Other things include various fixes, a Microsoft Edge update to match the look and feel of the Windows 10 version and the ability for players to upload content directly to Twitter.

:arrow: Source

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
that would be useless because
1. no tv supports it, you would need to use a monitor and most if not all people play their consoles on a tv in the living room.
2. the benefits are close to none as consoles are struggling to reach even 60fps so no game will run at high enough fps to gain something from it. sure you'll shave a couple milliseconds of input lag compared to triple buffer vsync but so little that would be imperceptible.
1. No TV supports it YET. Most competitive console gamers are on a monitor anyways.
2. 60FPS doesn't have to be the target FPS for this to be effective. A couple MS of input lag is definitely noticeable. Disabling triple buffering shaves off more than a couple, by the way.

Last edited by Kioku,

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
1. No TV supports it YET. Most competitive console gamers are on a monitor anyways.
2. 60FPS doesn't have to be the target FPS for this to be effective. A couple MS of input lag is definitely noticeable. Disabling triple buffering shaves off more than a couple, by the way.
1. I doubt many tv's will release with sync technology as the main focus of them is tv shows not gaming, if it happens it will be even more niche than pc monitors, but you are right on the second point.
2. exactly, the main focus of sync technology is high response and a high framerate guarantees that, so is pretty common for g/free-sync monitors to support 144hz. also are you a superhuman?? can you react faster than 16ms to notice a single frame difference at 60fps??

Last edited by Sakitoshi,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
1. I doubt many tv's will release with sync technology as the main focus of them is tv shows not gaming, if it happens it will be even more niche than pc monitors, but you are right on the second point.
2. exactly, the main focus of sync technology is high response and a high framerate guarantees that, so is pretty common for g/free-sync monitors to support 144hz. also are you a superhuman?? can you react faster than 16ms to notice a single frame difference at 60fps??
1. They're starting to make their way out. LTT has a video on one from recent.
2. Freesync wasn't designed to guarantee high frames. Just a more efficient version of V Sync. Even at 30FPS there will be a highly noticeable difference in response time. You don't have to be a superhuman to notice this.

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
1. They're starting to make their way out. LTT has a video on one from recent.
2. Freesync wasn't designed to guarantee high frames. Just a more efficient version of V Sync. Even at 30FPS there will be a highly noticeable difference in response time. You don't have to be a superhuman to notice this.
1. interesting. I really didn't expected it but I still think their availability will be very limited on top of expensive.
2. i didn't said that freesync was made for high framerates, I said that its focus was high response but also added that high framerates help to achieve that and thus is typical that such monitors support high framerates. If you are talking about 30fps and double buffer vsync, yes it is noticeable for experienced people, but most if not all ps4 and xbone games use a triple buffer or adaptive vsync solution that makes it unnoticeable and who are we kidding here, this is aimed at competitive games and none of them run at 30fps, they all rut at 60fps (and most likely with an adaptive vsync) so it is even less noticeable or the complains about input lag in such games would be heard in heaven and hell alike.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
1. interesting. I really didn't expected it but I still think their availability will be very limited on top of expensive.
2. i didn't said that freesync was made for high framerates, I said that its focus was high response but also added that high framerates help to achieve that and thus is typical that such monitors support high framerates. If you are talking about 30fps and double buffer vsync, yes it is noticeable for experienced people, but most if not all ps4 and xbone games use a triple buffer or adaptive vsync solution that makes it unnoticeable and who are we kidding here, this is aimed at competitive games and none of them run at 30fps, they all rut at 60fps (and most likely with an adaptive vsync) so it is even less noticeable or the complains about input lag in such games would be heard in heaven and hell alike.

So, now you're admitting it's viable?

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
never said it wasn't viable, but it is kind of useless and will be added only for bragging rights (look, our xbone can do this and ps4 can't so our e-peen is bigger).

It's viable, but useless... That doesn't even make sense... Not even for bragging rights. To have a better response time would do well for the console in the long term.

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
It's viable, but useless... That doesn't even make sense... Not even for bragging rights. To have a better response time would do well for the console in the long term.
I'm now starting to wonder what kind of solution did old consoles used to prevent screen tearing, because I'm pretty sure snes/genesis, n64/ps1 and gamecube/ps2 didn't had g/free sync and still had perfect response time without tearing.

jDSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
never said it wasn't viable, but it is kind of useless and will be added only for bragging rights (look, our xbone can do this and ps4 can't so our e-peen is bigger).

Remember that 60fps isn't stable so this is were freesync comes in also too if sony throws in the towel and does so with the pro having boost mode, it would be way better since those games dip into the 40s or lower and struggle to keep 60 fps you wouldn't even notice it.

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
yes freesnyc is a nice feature but were still waiting for more exclusives games for xbox :unsure: actually my xbox x just eating dust at my closet :cry:

Xbox makes less sense if you have a good PC, but the success of multiplats on other consoles say otherwise unless these people like to gimp themselves playing at 30 FPS and paying console tax for that.

Welp I play on a console gaming monitor (BenQ). Way better image quality compared to similarly priced TVs, gaming presets which are handy and god that 1ms lag!

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Remember that 60fps isn't stable so this is were freesync comes in also too if sony throws in the towel and does so with the pro having boost mode, it would be way better since those games dip into the 40s or lower and struggle to keep 60 fps you wouldn't even notice it.
the advantages are minimal on that scenario too.
with triple buffer vsync you don't need to step down to a multiple of the original framerate like with double buffer vsync (remember the steady 20fps on botw and other games? it's because of double buffer vsync) so that isn't a problem. adaptive vsync is a more aggressive solution that toggles vsync off (I assume regular double buffer vsync, but I'm not sure) when the game can't keep up with the target framerate (usually 60fps), screen tearing can be spotted when that happens but if the game barely underperforms is a good solution to keep things smooth.
also note that devs are smart enough these days to not use adaptive vsync on games that typically go below 60fps or else it would be the same as not having vsync at all.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/freesync-tv-amd-radeon-rtg,32685.html

They have been working on the tech since 2016. I'd expect by now it'd be easy to add Freesync to TVs right now.

I'm pretty sure Freesync TVs may be coming, the TV market is pretty cutthroat and manufacturers are starving to find ways to differentiate themselves. Once word hits their ears that consoles are starting to support Freesync at least one manufacturer should start touting a gaming dedicated TV that has Freesync built in.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: ood morning