Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Kicks it up a Notch with Gears of War and Shadow Complex

yANjKOx.png

As Microsoft announced during the last E3, they are in the process of making the Xbox One console compatible with 360 games. This was a process that they initially thought was impossible, or at least unlikely. However, since the announcement around two dozen 360 games are available to Xbox Preview users.

Many of the available games aren’t ones that will blow your mind although it does include the blockbuster title Mass Effect as well as the classic Rare games Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie. All three of those games, and in fact most compatible games, are available on other consoles. This makes the backwards compatibility less impressive than first implied.

That being said, today Microsoft is taking it to the next level by adding another major Microsoft exclusive title to the mix, Gears of War. They are adding the Xbox Live arcade game Shadow Complex as well.

In addition to those games, today Microsoft announced that they have plans to bring the entire Gears of War franchise to the Xbox One for free backwards compatibility as long as you play the upcoming Gears of War: Ultimate Edition before the end of the year. This includes:
  • Gears of War
  • Gears of War 2
  • Gears of War 3
  • Gears of War Judgement
Microsoft plans on ultimately making hundreds of 360 games backwards compatible in the future and it seems like they are finally starting to show that it is an actual possibility.

:arrow: Larry Hryb's Twitter

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
In that case you go on ahead and stand in the misguided mob, for all you're praising is a bunch of Mario games. First-party is all fun and dandy, but you're missing out on the majority of top AAA games this generation, much like Wii owners missed out on the majority of games last generation. Want to know some "actual games" that are on the Xbox One? How about The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Evolve, Titanfall, Dying Light, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Batman: Arkham Knight, Mortal Kombat X, Far Cy 4 or Destiny? Enjoy your first-party CPR, enjoy it while it lasts, because it won't last forever.

Except all of them are terrible ports, most of which struggle to maintain 30FPS.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
Your argument here is that eating a hot dog is worse than starving. It might not be a gourmet meal ran at 4K 60FPS, but all are entirely playable and enjoyable.

True, but the competing PS4 does a better job of running these ports at a constant 30FPS.

portugeek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my post is removed from public view, reason given "Not an imageboard." But Osha can post his image with swear words in it. Apparently it's not ok to post cheeky humor at the PS4's expense on this forum.

I have no problem with following forum rules. If what I posted is against guidelines then by all means remove it. But if you're going to moderate a board a specific way, then treat everyone as equals, otherwise it comes off as biased censorship.

Last edited by portugeek,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So my post is removed from public view, reason given "Not an imageboard." But Osha can post his image with swear words in it. Apparently it's not ok to post cheeky humor at the PS4's expense on this forum.
Not when the entire post is just an image and a smiley - you didn't write a single sentence of commentary. It's not an image board, correct - you actually have to type something.

portugeek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not when the entire post is just an image and a smiley - you didn't write a single sentence of commentary. It's not an image board, correct - you actually have to type something.
Yeah I understand. I mean I guess I could've added "some" words. But what else was there to say? The image was full of words. It did all the talking.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeah I understand. I mean I guess I could've added "some" words. But what else was there to say? The image was full of words. It did all the talking.
If it makes you feel any better to target your anger at someone, I reported it - I didn't think it contributed to the discussion about Xbox One's BC capabilities, even if it was apt and humorous. A sentence or two of commentary would've saved the post in my eyes - you have to frame your pictures to make them on-topic. ;)

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oooh, Trials HD (and therefore hopefully Evolution), Forza Horizon 1, Pac Man CE DX (awesome game!) - that's me sorted! The conference mentioned Bethesda, EA and Ubisoft amongst others so you can be sure all their games are coming (also see Dead Space, Ass Creed and Fallout 3)
November date for the full rollout was a bit disappointing as I've been able to play a selection already since e3, but my 360 is out from under the living room TV (and now in my bedroom) so I'm all set! :D

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I would disagree with you, but Nintendo first party has been sucking this gen and most of last gen. Mario is a dry well, Fire Emblem and Pokémon are getting there and there is a lot of untapped potential for franchises Nintendo refuses to stop neglecting.
Also, I don't think Destiny, Titanfall and Evolve are worth mentioning since a lot of people were disappointed with them.

Destiny due to being overhyped, Titanfall was limited to only be released on XO/PC and Evolve due to all the DLC complicated bundles.

In their own right they're good games but expected too much from. Much like TMNT: Out of the Shadows gamers thought it was going to be as good as Turtles in Time with new graphics but nope.

Except all of them are terrible ports, most of which struggle to maintain 30FPS.

Well, at least XO has actual multiplats worth giving a damn and they're playable whereas Nintendo's home console of this gen has masterpieces such as:

1. Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon
  2. Angry Birds: Star Wars
  3. Angry Birds: Trilogy
  4. Barbie's Dreamhouse Party
  5. Ben 10: Omniverse 2
  6. Fast & Furious Showdown
  7. Hot Wheels: World's Best Driver
  8. How to Train Your Dragon 2
  9. James Bond: 007 Legends
  10. Jett Tailfin
  11. Marvel's Avengers: Battle For Earth
  12. Monster High 13 Wishes
  13. Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures
  14. Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures 2
  15. Penguins of Madagascar
  16. Phineas and Ferb: Quest for Cool Stuff
  17. Planes
  18. Planes: Fire and Rescue
  19. Rise of the Guardians
  20. Sniper Elite V2
  21. Spongebob Squarepants: Plankton's Robotic Revenge
  22. The Amazing Spider-Man 2
  23. The Croods
  24. The Smurfs 2
  25. The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct
  26. Transformers: Prime
  27. Turbo Super Stunt Squad
  28. Watch Dogs
And this is not even its final form yet. Just a sample.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
Destiny due to being overhyped, Titanfall was limited to only be released on XO/PC and Evolve due to all the DLC complicated bundles.

In their own right they're good games but expected too much from. Much like TMNT: Out of the Shadows gamers thought it was going to be as good as Turtles in Time with new graphics but nope.

Well, at least XO has actual multiplats worth giving a damn and they're playable whereas Nintendo's home console of this gen has masterpieces such as:

1. Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon
  2. Angry Birds: Star Wars
  3. Angry Birds: Trilogy
  4. Barbie's Dreamhouse Party
  5. Ben 10: Omniverse 2
  6. Fast & Furious Showdown
  7. Hot Wheels: World's Best Driver
  8. How to Train Your Dragon 2
  9. James Bond: 007 Legends
  10. Jett Tailfin
  11. Marvel's Avengers: Battle For Earth
  12. Monster High 13 Wishes
  13. Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures
  14. Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures 2
  15. Penguins of Madagascar
  16. Phineas and Ferb: Quest for Cool Stuff
  17. Planes
  18. Planes: Fire and Rescue
  19. Rise of the Guardians
  20. Sniper Elite V2
  21. Spongebob Squarepants: Plankton's Robotic Revenge
  22. The Amazing Spider-Man 2
  23. The Croods
  24. The Smurfs 2
  25. The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct
  26. Transformers: Prime
  27. Turbo Super Stunt Squad
  28. Watch Dogs
And this is not even its final form yet. Just a sample.

You got me there.

I think most of that is nintendo's own problem. They didn't seem interested in approaching third party developers, they seem to want developers to approach them. Watchdogs on the Wii U is actually a pretty decent port, I just wish there were more big multiplats on there. Nintendo seems content being in their own little bubble of shelling out mario games and pure first party titles.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Watch Dogs on Wii U... decent? Have to stop you right here. WD on Wii U was a really shitty port that made me quit playing it and thus far waste £19 that I might not ever get back and I completely regret. Had it been an actual decent port I'd have liked it.

For those that don't have a Wii U or do but not WD (don't buy it!) there's also this comparison video:

Osha

Weh
Trophies
XP
Country
France
RUN FOR YOUR LIVES, IT'S AN UNOTICABLE FRAMEDROP!

The PS3 one looks worst FYI
No man, I'm not a graphics whore and even I can tell how much of a drop 6 FPS is on a console that's supposedly stronger than the PS3 and 360. Though it's entirely Ubisoft's fault for doing this. I wish they'd come back to the state they were at before they started pushing these rabbid games.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
No man, I'm not a graphics whore and even I can tell how much of a drop 6 FPS is on a console that's supposedly stronger than the PS3 and 360. Though it's entirely Ubisoft's fault for doing this. I wish they'd come back to the state they were at before they started pushing these rabbid games.

I've got a decent PC and I noticed framedrops on my PC version. It seems to be just a terribly optimised game.

D

Deleted User

I've got a decent PC and I noticed framedrops on my PC version. It seems to be just a terribly optimised game.
TBH everything on PC is terribly optimized these days. That's half the reason I decided to get an Xbox One.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
I can't agree, Xenoverse is nice to play without crashes and graphical glitches.

Then it's down to the system that runs it, my friend loves Xenoverse and he's never noticed either of those things.

I'm no 'PC master race' ass, but there is no part of gaming where a console is better than a PC - unless we're talking exclusives, then the PC still wins for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: it pisses me off