Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Kicks it up a Notch with Gears of War and Shadow Complex

Discussion in 'Xbox One - Games & Content' started by Ericzander, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Ericzander
    OP

Ericzander I used hax to get yellow name

pip Reporter
    Feb 28, 2014
    United States
    Grand Line
    [​IMG]

As Microsoft announced during the last E3, they are in the process of making the Xbox One console compatible with 360 games. This was a process that they initially thought was impossible, or at least unlikely. However, since the announcement around two dozen 360 games are available to Xbox Preview users.

Many of the available games aren’t ones that will blow your mind although it does include the blockbuster title Mass Effect as well as the classic Rare games Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie. All three of those games, and in fact most compatible games, are available on other consoles. This makes the backwards compatibility less impressive than first implied.

That being said, today Microsoft is taking it to the next level by adding another major Microsoft exclusive title to the mix, Gears of War. They are adding the Xbox Live arcade game Shadow Complex as well.

In addition to those games, today Microsoft announced that they have plans to bring the entire Gears of War franchise to the Xbox One for free backwards compatibility as long as you play the upcoming Gears of War: Ultimate Edition before the end of the year. This includes:
    • Gears of War
    • Gears of War 2
    • Gears of War 3
    • Gears of War Judgement
    Microsoft plans on ultimately making hundreds of 360 games backwards compatible in the future and it seems like they are finally starting to show that it is an actual possibility.

:arrow: Larry Hryb's Twitter

chavosaur, HaloEffect17 and T-hug like this.

2. G0R3Z

G0R3Z Just Can't Be Bothered

Aug 12, 2014
    It's a good start and a good way to get one up on the PS4. With mediocre first party titles and every other decent game is available on ps4 or PC, they needed a way to even the tide.

I think they're a fair way off though. Some backwards compatibility doesn't make up for their mediocre library of games.

duwen, HaloEffect17 and Ericzander like this.
  3. Ericzander
    OP

pip Reporter
    Feb 28, 2014
    United States
    Grand Line
    Oh yeah, I totally agree. They're certainly doing their best to play catch up right now. I'm a bit disappointed because during the announcement it appeared that almost every game should work. Then they informed us that nope... Only a few titles. That being said, I would say that getting 5 Gears of War games for $40, which is the cost of the ultimate edition, is a pretty good bargain for those who haven't played the series. So I have to give them kudos for that at least.

4. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Everyone really wants to play Red Dead on their bone (ok just me). Cmon make it happen.

Ericzander likes this.
  5. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Those are two heavy hitters there. I know that his makes me really jealous, being a PS4 fanboy and all.

6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    With Xbox 360 prices at an all-time low I couldn't care less, but it's a nice feature for those who want to have one machine hooked up at a time and those who traded in their 360'ties and kept their games (for whatever reason). Still, I won't be getting an XBO before Halo 5 comes out - that's one game that's worth getting a system for.

7. orcid

orcid GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    Australia
    I hate this underlining of "free". You have to own the game. So it is not free. I have never heard someone saying all gamecube games on the Wii are for free.

8. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    You get a free digital download of the game, the XBO is not natively compatible with the 360 or its discs, unlike the Wii which was running the games like a Gamecube. The disc is only used for verification afaik.

9. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Comparing Wii U's library to Xbox One we can see that XO has a better catalogue of games when speaking in quantity, because the Wii U only has very few of them while the majority are shovelware crap. Problem with Xbox One is that its multiplatform ports aren't as good as PS4's but still playable.

Or like someone saying Club Nintendo points are free when they had to pay for them, and sometimes the full price which could've gotten them a year of Xbox LIVE or PlayStation Plus instead.

10. G0R3Z

Aug 12, 2014
    At least the Wii U's first party games are actually GOOD.

loco365 likes this.
  11. Ericzander
    OP

pip Reporter
    Feb 28, 2014
    United States
    Grand Line
    And as a Nintendo fanboy I'll once again agree with you. But at the same time, it's subjective.
    Except in this case the games are literally free. You pay for the Ultimate edition and then you get access to the 4 other games. Unless you want to be technical and say that in that instance each game costs $8.

12. Osha

Osha Weh

Jun 19, 2012
    France
    [​IMG]
    Call me when the Xbox One has actual games that aren't from last gen.

f0rCe, BlackWizzard17 and loco365 like this.
  13. orcid

orcid GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    Australia
    I meant the twitter post.

14. G0R3Z

Aug 12, 2014
    I don't think it's even subjective. I can't find a single first party Xbone exclusive title that's worth a damn. Sure it's got forza, Halo (which is the master chief collection - remasters don't count) and some crappy kinect games. It's got the odd japanese gem that nobody who owns an Xbone will likely play, but that's it really. Some on rail shooters as well for some reason that are exclusive.

15. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

GBAtemp Patron
    mightymuffy is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    Wigan, UK
    'Scuse me sunshine but it IS subjective... Racing fan here, and nothing comes close to Forza Horizon 2 (yes I've got and love Driveclub on my PS4, but there's no contest, plus it's like comparing apples and oranges anyway) - it's without shadow of a doubt the best racing game I've played this generation. You don't give a damn about that game - fair enough, I'm not trying to convince you otherwise.
    It's still subjective though. ;)

chavosaur and WiiCube_2013 like this.
  16. omegasoul6

omegasoul6 ಠ_ಠ

Aug 16, 2007
    Canada
    Toronto
    *Looks at Sunset Overdrive, Forza Motorsport 5, Killer Instinct and Dead Rising 3*

Must be imagining things...

chavosaur and WiiCube_2013 like this.
  17. WiiCube_2013

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip

The XO version looks really nice but way too dark.

A couple of them. Not all. So lower down that god damn fanboy tone.

- Mario Kart 8
    - Mario 3D World
    - Smash Bros.
    - Bayonetta 2
    - Wonderful 101
    - Sonic Lost World
    - Splatoon
    - Yoshi's Woolly World
    - Pikmin 3
    - Captain Toad
    - Zelda Wind Waker HD (but it's just an HD remake)

18. Osha

Osha Weh

Jun 19, 2012
    France
    [​IMG]
    I'll stand by what I said.

19. WiiCube_2013

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    My annoyance with Xbox One is that it's so fricking big, but if Microsoft ever releases a slim version I'd definitely buy one for its exclusives that I'm interested:

1. Crackdown (coming soon)
    2. Cuphead (coming soon)
    3. Dead Rising 3
    4. Fable Legends (coming soon)
    5. Forza Horizon 2 (yes the three Forza games 'cause I too love racing games)
    6. Forza MotorSport 5
    7. Forza MotorSport 6 (coming soon)
    8. Halo 5
    9. Killer Instinct
    10. Project Spark
    11. Quantum Break (coming soon)
    12. Rare Replay Collection (coming soon)
    13. Recore (coming soon)
    14. Ryse: Son of Rome
    15. Scalebound (coming soon)
    16. Sea of Thieves (coming soon)
    17. Sunset Overdrive
    Still not sure about Halo MCC and GoW UE, though.

mightymuffy likes this.
  20. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    In that case you go on ahead and stand in the misguided mob, for all you're praising is a bunch of Mario games. First-party is all fun and dandy, but you're missing out on the majority of top AAA games this generation, much like Wii owners missed out on the majority of games last generation. Want to know some "actual games" that are on the Xbox One? How about The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Evolve, Titanfall, Dying Light, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Batman: Arkham Knight, Mortal Kombat X, Far Cy 4 or Destiny? Enjoy your first-party CPR, enjoy it while it lasts, because it won't last forever.

WiiCube_2013 likes this.