Colors 3D Snivy!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Steve-Balmer_BIOboxart_160w.jpg

Microsoft's CEO Steve Ballmer has stated that the Xbox 360 isn't a gaming console – and that's what helps differentiate it from its competition.

In recent years Microsoft has been repositioning the Xbox 360 to appeal to a broader market than the core gamers that the console had traditionally wooed, and Ballmer's comments reiterated this movement.

"Xbox isn't a gaming console," Ballmer told USA Today, "Xbox is a family entertainment center. It's a place to socialize. It's a place to watch TV. We have Hulu coming. It's the only system where you are the controller. Your voice, your gestures, your body."

Ballmer's comments echo those of ex-Sony Computer Entertainment head Ken Kutaragi at the dawn of the PlayStation 3. "From the start, we intended to make not just a game machine for kids, but a computer for entertainment that adults throughout the world could enjoy," Kutaragi said back in 2005. "Other companies may talk of game machines, but we've always referred to 'computer entertainment,' even in our press materials. It's entertainment and also a computer. That's what's important."

Ballmer also highlighted the success of Kinect in helping Microsoft broaden the Xbox 360's appeal. "My wife used to say, 'No, no, that's the machine the boys use," and now she says, "Yeah, I want to go watch movies. Let's go play the dance game,'" he said. "It opens up accessibility to family entertainment because with the Kinect, you control these systems with your body, with your voice. We've opened up the world of content in TV, movies." [/p]

Source: IGN

Frankly, they shouldn't be ignoring the fact that the main reason people buy an Xbox is to play exclusive Xbox games, not for services that are provided by any number of different devices out there, like DVD players, Digital set top boxes, satellite TV, PC connections, etc.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Okay, you know what, I have my PC for that and it's much better at the job. Maybe persuade the developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers to make some good family games with the thing rather than another "so hardcore, look at how the heads explode" FPS with nothing more for it than multiplayer 'cause programming AI is, you know, work.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
cwstjdenobs said:
Okay, you know what, I have my PC for that and it's much better at the job. Maybe persuade the developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers to make some good family games with the thing rather than another "so hardcore, look at how the heads explode" FPS with nothing more for it than multiplayer 'cause programming AI is, you know, work.
Funny thing, this year's line-up has like, two notable exclusive games I think, Gears of War 3 and something else.
The rest is Kinect software.
rolleyes.gif

Raikiri

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
uhmm.. i have all 3 'next-gen' consoles and the only reason i have an xbox is indeed, for the x-box exclusives games ( which aren't that much anymore since a LOT gets ported to pc, kinda regretting i have it now, since i have a decent computer as of late to game on
frown.gif
)

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
He is also every GNU/Linux and Open Source users biggest enemy.

Sorry to burst your bubble Balmer, but the 360 will only ever be a Gaming Console at its core. Most people only buy it for that reason.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My DVD player isn't a DVD player. It's actually a CD player, derp.

Usually I try to defend a lot of statements from companies like Sony and Microsoft but this just doesn't deserve. I still love my Xbox 360 but it's a gaming machine. If anything a PS3 is a much more "universal" console.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
My DVD player isn't a DVD player. It's actually a CD player, derp.

Usually I try to defend a lot of statements from companies like Sony and Microsoft but this just doesn't deserve. I still love my Xbox 360 but it's a gaming machine. If anything a PS3 is a much more "universal" console.
I actually have to agree, Sony successfully penetrated the multi-media market by offering a cheap blu-ray solution, combined with playing PS3 games.
Sony have a lot of experience in multimedia solutions, Microsoft do not.

Face it Microsoft, anyone who wants the most out of their media experience isn't going to use Windows Media Player or Windows Media Center, they'll use things like VLC, Winamp, Media Player Classic, and XBMC (formally Xbox Media Center) instead.
And maybe iTunes.

DryYoshi

Love child of Dry Bones and Yoshi
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
QUOTE said:
Xbox is a family entertainment center.
My family doesn't know how a game yet a controller yet a freakin' remote works!

QUOTE said:
It's a place to socialize.
Not if you don't have GOLD!

QUOTE said:
It's a place to watch TV.
O RLY? As if I don't have sattelite TV in my living room!

QUOTEWe have Hulu coming.
(No comment, because it's America only AFAIK)

It's the only system where you are the controller.
That's a BAD thing! I freakin' hate Kinect and all its ads!

And I'm not gonna comment on the dancing game bullcrap!

Just....
angry.gif

I wish I bought a PS3 so I could mod it without opening the damn thing up. Now all I can play are NON Jtag games from Xbox LIVE. Which still ain't so bad, because it's free.
Oh well, no need for a PS3 since the 3DS is coming soon, which also has a 3 in it, so does 360 BTW. (What do people have with 3's
tongue.gif
)

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
monkat said:
Isn't this the same BS that NIntendo tried to pull?

No but this is the exact same bullshit that Sony pulled with the PS3 when they claimed it was a "super computer, media center, cancer curing device" etc...

Here's some advice for you Balmer. Never follow the lead of a loser.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users