"Xbox Isn't a Gaming Console" Says Microsoft

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by RupeeClock, Jan 17, 2011.

1. RupeeClock
    OP

RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

May 15, 2008
    [​IMG]

Microsoft's CEO Steve Ballmer has stated that the Xbox 360 isn't a gaming console – and that's what helps differentiate it from its competition.

In recent years Microsoft has been repositioning the Xbox 360 to appeal to a broader market than the core gamers that the console had traditionally wooed, and Ballmer's comments reiterated this movement.

"Xbox isn't a gaming console," Ballmer told USA Today, "Xbox is a family entertainment center. It's a place to socialize. It's a place to watch TV. We have Hulu coming. It's the only system where you are the controller. Your voice, your gestures, your body."

Ballmer's comments echo those of ex-Sony Computer Entertainment head Ken Kutaragi at the dawn of the PlayStation 3. "From the start, we intended to make not just a game machine for kids, but a computer for entertainment that adults throughout the world could enjoy," Kutaragi said back in 2005. "Other companies may talk of game machines, but we've always referred to 'computer entertainment,' even in our press materials. It's entertainment and also a computer. That's what's important."

Ballmer also highlighted the success of Kinect in helping Microsoft broaden the Xbox 360's appeal. "My wife used to say, 'No, no, that's the machine the boys use," and now she says, "Yeah, I want to go watch movies. Let's go play the dance game,'" he said. "It opens up accessibility to family entertainment because with the Kinect, you control these systems with your body, with your voice. We've opened up the world of content in TV, movies." [/p]

Source: IGN

Frankly, they shouldn't be ignoring the fact that the main reason people buy an Xbox is to play exclusive Xbox games, not for services that are provided by any number of different devices out there, like DVD players, Digital set top boxes, satellite TV, PC connections, etc.

2. cwstjdenobs

cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

Mar 10, 2009
    Ankh-Morpork
    Okay, you know what, I have my PC for that and it's much better at the job. Maybe persuade the developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers to make some good family games with the thing rather than another "so hardcore, look at how the heads explode" FPS with nothing more for it than multiplayer 'cause programming AI is, you know, work.

3. RupeeClock
    OP

May 15, 2008
    Funny thing, this year's line-up has like, two notable exclusive games I think, Gears of War 3 and something else.
    The rest is Kinect software. [​IMG]

4. monkat

monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

Banned
    May 21, 2009
    United States
    Virginia
    Isn't this the same BS that NIntendo tried to pull?

5. Raikiri

Raikiri GBAtemp Regular

Aug 7, 2007
    Netherlands
    The Hague
    uhmm.. i have all 3 'next-gen' consoles and the only reason i have an xbox is indeed, for the x-box exclusives games ( which aren't that much anymore since a LOT gets ported to pc, kinda regretting i have it now, since i have a decent computer as of late to game on [​IMG] )

6. cwstjdenobs

cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

Mar 10, 2009
    Ankh-Morpork
    No, they made a point of the Wii been only a games console.

7. RupeeClock
    OP

May 15, 2008
    It does have the options of Netflix and iPlayer though.

8. Juanmatron

Juanmatron Slater Color

Aug 5, 2008
    SEGA's World
    In few words: XBOX is a computer.

Wait, XBOX isn't a "console"? People doesn't buy XBOX for play games?

This reminds me the 80s.

9. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    He can be crazy

He can be repetitive

...but he is also known for his music

10. Nimbus

Nimbus sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1

Nov 1, 2009
    Probably being lazy.
    He is also every GNU/Linux and Open Source users biggest enemy.

Sorry to burst your bubble Balmer, but the 360 will only ever be a Gaming Console at its core. Most people only buy it for that reason.

11. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    My DVD player isn't a DVD player. It's actually a CD player, derp.

Usually I try to defend a lot of statements from companies like Sony and Microsoft but this just doesn't deserve. I still love my Xbox 360 but it's a gaming machine. If anything a PS3 is a much more "universal" console.

12. RupeeClock
    OP

May 15, 2008
    I actually have to agree, Sony successfully penetrated the multi-media market by offering a cheap blu-ray solution, combined with playing PS3 games.
    Sony have a lot of experience in multimedia solutions, Microsoft do not.

Face it Microsoft, anyone who wants the most out of their media experience isn't going to use Windows Media Player or Windows Media Center, they'll use things like VLC, Winamp, Media Player Classic, and XBMC (formally Xbox Media Center) instead.
    And maybe iTunes.

13. TwinRetro

TwinRetro Global Moderator

Global Moderator
    Aug 29, 2008
    Djibouti
    Hiatus Hell
    Xbox isn't a gaming console. good one ballmer.

Next thing youll tell me is Windows isn't an operating system, its a social media outlet.

14. GreatZimkogway

GreatZimkogway Still a Touhou Fanatic

Jul 21, 2009
    United States
    Senkai
    Steve. Go shoot yourself. PLEASE. DO US A FAVOR.

15. DryYoshi

DryYoshi Love child of Dry Bones and Yoshi

Mar 16, 2008
    Netherlands
    Yoshi's Island
    That's a BAD thing! I freakin' hate Kinect and all its ads!

And I'm not gonna comment on the dancing game bullcrap!

Just.... [​IMG]
    I wish I bought a PS3 so I could mod it without opening the damn thing up. Now all I can play are NON Jtag games from Xbox LIVE. Which still ain't so bad, because it's free.
    Oh well, no need for a PS3 since the 3DS is coming soon, which also has a 3 in it, so does 360 BTW. (What do people have with 3's [​IMG])

16. Schizoanalysis

Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Jun 23, 2009
    Comedy gold!

*tee hee*

17. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Then I guess Sony and Nintendo are going head-to-head from now on.

18. SPH73

SPH73 Banned

Banned
    Sep 2, 2008
    United States
    No but this is the exact same bullshit that Sony pulled with the PS3 when they claimed it was a "super computer, media center, cancer curing device" etc...

Here's some advice for you Balmer. Never follow the lead of a loser.

19. DryYoshi

DryYoshi Love child of Dry Bones and Yoshi

Mar 16, 2008
    Netherlands
    Yoshi's Island
    Thx! [​IMG]
    (Check my sig!)

20. Giga_Gaia

Giga_Gaia Shinigami

Sep 12, 2006
    Canada
    Quebec, Canada