• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Would you rather live in a Democracy where you're lied in all the time, or a Dictatorship where you're told the truth about things that affect you.

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The democracy is run by politicians that have over generations honed the art of elections to the point that it's just a popularity contest, with the actual issues themselves being little more then flavortext on playing cards in a game. They will tell you exactly what you need to hear to keep voting them in, and any mistake or inconvenient detail will be hidden and excused and lied about. The citizens mean nothing to them so the politicians fuel their lives of excess and debauchery knowing the citizens aren't aware that the politicians are responsible for the countries problems.

The dictatorship is run by a single individual and his advisers, who have spent their entire lifetime learning macroeconomics and generally anything that's needed to run a country. Because if his (or her) permanent position he can make strategies that take in account their effects to the future of the country, and has prepared a few successor candidates to take his place when he passes. He can afford to be frank with the citizens about what is happening in the country that is affecting them, as they aren't in a position to fight him - unless almost the entire country unites to throw him out.

Reactions: shunoia

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I think the concept of a "benevolent dictator" can really only exist in hypothetical scenarios. Once you've reached that level of power, there's nobody to hold you accountable, so even if you start out making good decisions, sycophants will keep you insulated from the fallout of the bad decisions; you'll never truly know when you've begun to slip up. Moreover, the type of person who wants to become a dictator is never the type of person you'd want in charge to begin with.

Democracy works, but only with more than two parties, and only with an educated populace willing to hold their representatives accountable.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Democrazy - Freedom is slowly disappearing step by step.

Dictatorship - Freedom is slowly disappearing step by step.
You mean no freedom at all for dictatorship, right? That's the basis of dictatorship... You do what you're told to do, or you suffer the consequences (torture, prison, death). That's why it's important to vote, folks, even if you think it's futile.

Reactions: Alexander1970

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
So either keep the status quo with the democracies, or make it worse but at least you know what to expect, I am not even sure if that is really that much worse in this case.

Not implying the dictatorship is better, but an honest politician sure would be nice for once.

Looks like anarchy is the only option left, we all know how that will go on the long run.

Reactions: DarkCoffe64

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
Realistically all dictatators in addition to fear and terror, also rely on lies and subterfuge to try trick the citizens into believing that said dictator is an irreplaceable benevolent ruler without whom their country would slide into chaos and anarchy.

One thing that polticians have in common be they be from dictatorships, democracies, ultra right conservatives, or liberals is this; All politicians are a bunch of egotistical liars, conniving manipulators seeking wealth, power and self advancement.

Conclusion...Death to All Dictators...Fuck Policians...Fuck all Royals...and ofcourse Fuck the Police.

Reactions: stüssy

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Tough dilemma...but that makes it a good one.

Let's see...
The democracy is run by politicians that have over generations honed the art of elections to the point that it's just a popularity contest, with the actual issues themselves being little more then flavortext on playing cards in a game. They will tell you exactly what you need to hear to keep voting them in, and any mistake or inconvenient detail will be hidden and excused and lied about. The citizens mean nothing to them so the politicians fuel their lives of excess and debauchery knowing the citizens aren't aware that the politicians are responsible for the countries problems.
Politicians do what politicians do. But I can't get around that this is a caricature, the worst kind of perception of a badly organized democracy.

The thing of a democracy is that the people decide. The USA, like most current "democracies" isn't really one (it's a represented democracy), but even so: it really isn't the best example here. Not just because of the electoral college or the "winner takes all" mentality but mostly because of the insane amount of money it costs to actually run for president.

The result is that in many countries, the whole idea of democracy is pretty hollow at the least. In the US and UK, it sounds to me like it only consists of chosing the lesser evil every so many years and then be held responsible for "your" choice to lie on everything. Not a pretty thing to look forward to...

The dictatorship is run by a single individual and his advisers, who have spent their entire lifetime learning macroeconomics and generally anything that's needed to run a country. Because if his (or her) permanent position he can make strategies that take in account their effects to the future of the country, and has prepared a few successor candidates to take his place when he passes. He can afford to be frank with the citizens about what is happening in the country that is affecting them, as they aren't in a position to fight him - unless almost the entire country unites to throw him out.
This is the opposite. The pipe dream of "just wait until I rule the world! :D ".
I'm not as opposed as some based on the name (hint: Julius Caesar was a dictator), but it all sounds like either naive daydreaming or propaganda. I can't name a single current dictator-led country that isn't corrupt as hell, and that is because I honestly believe that power corrupts, and total power corrupts totally.
And why shouldn't it? I'm no history professor, but back in the old days, countries were more self reliant on everything. Nowaday dictatorship countries have needs that require trade with other countries, which in turn sets agreements on laws and standards. That all makes it hard to track, so I'm sure those "advisors" will become captains of industry pretty fast. And from there, the perception of the population as more than assets fades away.

So...after all this analysing, I'll pick...

Lousy democracy. Because I'm more optimistic than believing politicians are all rotten apples. In fact, I think I'm living in one that's pretty "okay" ish in that aspect. Not that we're free of issues(1), but without a 2-party system or a "winner takes all" system, things are already more in the area of an ACTUAL democracy than the representative equivalent.

(1): as an example...my sister-in-law had a legal council thing (or was it psychology? I forgot). At one point she had patient X in a session. The situation was partially subsidized by our health system.
But...X is the mother of a fairly well known politician. Said politician contacted my sister-in-law and demanded the treatment to be changed so it was fully subsidized. Sister-in-law refused, knowing better than politician that it would be illegal.
Politician's response was to threaten to have sister-in-law fired. She didn't respond to those threats and nothing came of it, but...let's just say none of us give our vote to her party.

• Love

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
(1): as an example...my sister-in-law had a legal council thing (or was it psychology? I forgot). At one point she had patient X in a session. The situation was partially subsidized by our health system.
But...X is the mother of a fairly well known politician. Said politician contacted my sister-in-law and demanded the treatment to be changed so it was fully subsidized. Sister-in-law refused, knowing better than politician that it would be illegal.
Politician's response was to threaten to have sister-in-law fired. She didn't respond to those threats and nothing came of it, but...let's just say none of us give our vote to her party.

Best Sample how Democracy works these Days.👍

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Skills like those described do not tend to survive contact with reality, and the idea they could be constructed with any kind of foresight (even if we took out black swan events) is laughable.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Best Sample how Democracy works these Days.👍
Not at all. It's a symptom of what happens if you give people power. Politician did this but can be voted out later. Heck... If sister in law wanted a media circus, she probably could've pulled it off. So compared to a dictatorship, at least there are options.

• Haha

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Politician did this but can be voted out later.
When ? When Abraham Lincoln rises from his Grave ? 🤣
Not really,my Friend.
Here in Austria it goes like this:

- Austrian shots himself in the left Knee - Au,that hurts...
- To be absolutely sure,he would also like to check this with his right Knee...
- Austrian shots himself in the right Knee - Au,that surprisely hurts too...
- To be continued...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: No way, Switch pro will be next