Worst JRPG you have played

Dr. Ivo Robotnik

All hail the Eggman Empire!
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
idk i've played though FF7 a number of times and Cloud just comes off as a kind of smug with a bit of angst here and there, it isn't until Aerith's death that he becomes more emo and starts to realize his identity is a lie or whatever and even then just becomes more introverted and guilt-ridden at best

if you REALLY want a whiny protagonist, it's fucking Tidus, not only is he an obnoxious prick who won't shut up, he consistently whines about his daddy issues to the point of nausea, and near the end i ended up sympathizing with Jecht way more, if i had that little bitch as a son i'd treat him like shit too

I'm more inclined to say Squall. Good heavens if he's not the most uninteresting block of meat with a mouth around for most of Final Fantasy VIII.

But then, I dislike VIII for a large variety of reasons, so I'm probably prejudiced against him to begin with.

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm more inclined to say Squall. Good heavens if he's not the most uninteresting block of meat with a mouth around for most of Final Fantasy VIII.

But then, I dislike VIII for a large variety of reasons, so I'm probably prejudiced against him to begin with.
I always liked to think that Laguna was the true main character and squall was a side love story that seemed more important than it was supposed to be. Add to the fact he takes forever to flesh out his character all while going from shy emo to dynamic leader with a crush in under an hours time when you get there; I can see why some peeps would not like him. I still stand by my views that it is the best final fantasy made overall.

Dr. Ivo Robotnik

All hail the Eggman Empire!
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I always liked to think that Laguna was the true main character and squall was a side love story that seemed more important than it was supposed to be. Add to the fact he takes forever to flesh out his character all while going from shy emo to dynamic leader with a crush in under an hours time when you get there; I can see why some peeps would not like him. I still stand by my views that it is the best final fantasy made overall.

Heh, fair enough. As I said, I have a variety of reasons for disliking that particular game, and I'd happily discuss 'em over a cup of tea, but this thread may not be the place to do so.

On topic, my personal worst JRPG, to risk the 'popular' answer, is Final Fantasy XIII. The game truly and utterly failed to make me like its characters (excepting Sazh, who at least had SOME interesting character twists), and was an utter wreck of poor design decisions.

Oh, and to the earlier post about horrible shovelware and so on - yes, there's a lot out there worse than this game, but this thing is about your worst JRPG. And in that specific genre, this is it.

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Class of Heroes (PSP), Mother 3, and any other game that uses that type of dungeon/battle system. They are good games, but I want to be able to see the characters in action, not just the portrait/name of them on the side of the screen.

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
Any of the final fantasy series.

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Last Remnant and Infinite Undiscovery were equally bad for me.

Also been trying to get into Ar Tonelico Qoga, but the battle system feels like a shitty Tales of Game
Don't get me started on Qoga. That series had real potential as a more light hearted/slightly perverse offering with it's amazing soundtrack and interesting battle system and alternate endings and the side quests involved in getting them. Then the second one went all fan service and had women bathing for levelling up and other forced perversion in exchange for downgraded character models. still the story up till the second games end was satisfying enough. Qoga though...

I get embarrassed every time I play it and feel dirty to the point I only pay it while home alone and in short bursts "How is reverse abortions, stripping for power and other echhi offerings" even a thing, especially with how old these girls are (the brunette is 15?) I mean I'll finish it cause I want the complete story but it feels more out of obligation than enjoyment.

Xale

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im not surprised that alot of people said FF13 was theirs, funny thing is that its actually in my top favorite jrpgs. The worst jrpg that ive ever played was Blue Dragon, I could not stand that game.

Reactions: Depravo

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Obligatory FF - 13 xxx comment. As if that horse hasn't been flogged enough.

I've actually never really found a JRPG I've honestly disliked besides FF 13. Sure there have been grind fests (the Etrian Odyssey games come immediately to mind), but games like Nostagia and others have really been great games in the genre. Hell, one of the best story driven JRPGs I've ever played was Radiant Historia. I have quite a few I just quit playing because they were time sinks, but never just outright hate...

Besides Resonance of Fate. That game has been the only one to completely crush my soul. I can play through an ES game on the hardest difficulty without batting an eyelash. I can decimate hordes of enemies with gusto on Golden Sun without much planning. Hell, I can even make the perfect unit on FF Tactics and bring the game to its knees to suck my dick. Resonance of Fate however has completely crushed my hopes and dreams. No matter how good I get, it always laughs in my face. Go look at the old release topic to see how happy I was to start playing it.

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
It's the first in the series and dates back to 1992. It's hardly regarded as a classic SMT game, without even considering it as a classic jRPG. A game with mechanics that old is bound to be nigh on impenetrable for those accustomed to new games.
If you mean the one that was on the DS then, dayum. I never knew it was that old.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
If you mean the one that was on the DS then, dayum. I never knew it was that old.

I wasn't aware that the first game was on the DS...just Devil Survivor 1/2 and Strange Journey. You didn't mention a system in your first post, nor a qualifier for SMT so i just assumed that you meant what you said and it was the original game. Obviously, the one you actually played wasn't that basic first edition...

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
I wasn't aware that the first game was on the DS...just Devil Survivor 1/2 and Strange Journey. You didn't mention a system in your first post, nor a qualifier for SMT so i just assumed that you meant what you said and it was the original game. Obviously, the one you actually played wasn't that basic first edition...
Just checked my DS and it's Devil Survivor 1/2. I thought it was the first in the series. Sorry about the mixup.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rhapsody, the PS1 version had a terrible battle system, the other 2 games especially Tenshi no Present are actually decent granted their battle systems were very average overall. I liked the silly plot and characters, but the battle system drags it way down.

FFXIII is garbage, everything about that game screamed shit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY