Homebrew working on a quick little wii racing game

wiiAdventurer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just my take but the white dots/lines seem a bit distracting. I can't remember if you added cars below that move around on the streets but if you had some slow moving cars with little white lines for headlights (but much fewer than the white dots) I think that would improve the world density but avoid being too distracting.

Other than that, really liking the little touches you've added. Nice work!

Reactions: newo and jeannotte

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
There are alot of dots on there now but I am still seeing what works and what doesnt. It looks more shuttle depending on if its being emulated in dolphin or played on real hardware but as I mentioned I am throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks. when I upload a beta build it will be clearer.

Background cars are in there (I use white because its easier to see them on the black background but eventually they will be a kind of gray);

Last edited by newo,

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
It's a progressive PAL video mode, there are some homebrew programs like WiiMC-SS that do it.
Ah, I see. That is something that is controlled by GRRLIB. The devs of that framework would need to patch it into their code before I can make use of that mode. It is out of my control. If they added it then I assume my game would just work after a recompile.

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
This is what the current changelog looks like;
- Ability to retry on gameover (3 continues)
- new "master" mode (16 random courses)
- new options: hide grid, track, track decals, sky
- new music
- updated textures
- additional moddable assets
- improved performance
- bug fixes and more

Not yet sure whether I should call this v3.5 or v4. Sometimes it's hard to tell if there are enough changes to bump a full version number. Let me know what y'all think.

added a new blog entry with screenshots
Post automatically merged:

Working on some interesting new tracks for the master level;

screenshot_20230706231133.png
screenshot_20230706231139.png
screenshot_20230706231523.png

Last edited by newo,

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
One thing I was wondering. Have you tried adding a little smooth rotation to the camera when turning? It has never bothered me while I'm playing and might backfire and make things feel less snappy, I just thought I'd mention it.

Good day @wiiAdventurer
I messed around with the handling controls a bit yesterday. Its a tricky mess balancing the dpad vs analog stick vs motion controls in one place. I hope you all have time to test this because I might have broken it. will upload a beta for testing as soon as I fix some there stuff. ITS GOING TO NEED ALOT OF TESTING

Last edited by newo,
Reactions: wiiAdventurer

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
- new music
- updated textures
- improved performance
- bug fixes and more

Not yet sure whether I should call this v3.5 or v4. Sometimes it's hard to tell if there are enough changes to bump a full version number. Let me know what y'all think.

added a new blog entry with screenshots

Working on some interesting new tracks for the master level;

View attachment 382338View attachment 382339View attachment 382340
This looks incredible! Can't wait to try it out

Reactions: newo

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
This looks incredible! Can't wait to try it out
will upload a beta for testing in a few hours. be ready

NewoZero Beta v3.34 - download link

- tweeked handling on wimote, classic and motion controls (needs testing)
- new music
- updated textures
- improved performance on dolphin+real wii
- bug fixes and more

Let me know how it handles and runs! DolphinEmu or real wii hardware - works on both.

Note that you can keep the current version and the beta version on the same SD card by renaming the folders. Adding beta to the folder name or something similar

Last edited by newo,

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
will upload a beta for testing in a few hours. be ready

NewoZero Beta v3.34 - download link

- tweeked handling on wimote, classic and motion controls (needs testing)
- new music
- updated textures
- bug fixes and more

Let me know how it handles and runs! DolphinEmu or real wii hardware - works on both.

Note that you can keep the current version and the beta version on the same SD card by renaming the folders. Adding beta to the folder name or something similar

So far this is incredible! The aesthetics are really great thus so far and this really feels like it could have been a commercial wiiware game! A couple of suggestions if I may, it would be great if you could adjust the density of the other racers on the road for an added challenge, as well as the ability to shoot them down or destroy them somehow for extra points ala classic arcade games like STUN runner and Mach Rider. The handling so far is very smooth and challenging as well. Are you planning on implementing any kind of split screen multiplayer too btw? This would be a sick game to play with friends.

Reactions: newo

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
@Disorarara thanx for the suggestions.
1. The density of the racers is different based on the league/championship. There are more racers on hard. The easy mode has a low density because the other races have a tendency to get really annoying and I want the game to be a chill driving experience.

2. A shoot or spin attack would work but I am not sure if I will put it in this time around. Maybe next version. I have this on my list of things to do.

3. Did you compare the handling to the current public version of the game? Do a comparison to see if the change affects your ability to complete courses on easy versus normal.

4. Split screen has been suggested before but I am not sure how much work it will take until I attempt it at some point in the future but not today

Thanx for testing it out!

Last edited by newo,
Reactions: Disorarara

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
updated the beta with a few bug fixes for some popin textures at the start of the race.
current changelog;

- tweeked handling on wimote, classic and motion controls
- Ability to retry level after crashing (2 continues)
- motion controls menu (sensitivity, deadzone)
- updated gfx, bug fixes

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
@Disorarara what difficulty are you playing the game on? The traffic is more of an annoyance than a challenge. The real challenge is completing the race before you explode into bits. Itf you only played on easy you might not realize how hard the courses get on normal/higher difficulties.

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Changing up the options in the background menu. Now there is a "colour" option which replaces the "high-contrast" option. Allowing you to select from a full all colours, gray scale, green, red or blue scheme for the whole game. Start a new race to see the effect.

ID-boot_2023-07-12_22-03-23.png
ID-boot_2023-07-12_22-04-41.png
ID-boot_2023-07-12_22-03-01.png

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
I had removed the background city skyline some time ago but after recent fixes I can safely put the skyline back into the scene. *debug colours

ID-boot_2023-07-15_20-01-58.png
ID-boot_2023-07-16_08-05-42.png
ID-boot_2023-07-16_09-52-55.png

That looks beautiful thanks!

One thing I was wondering. Have you tried adding a little smooth rotation to the camera when turning? It has never bothered me while I'm playing and might backfire and make things feel less snappy, I just thought I'd mention it.

Absolutely fantastic job. Keep it up.
Once you get accustomed to the new dpad turning it's like night and day difference . Tried playing V3.15 and I was shocked. Analogue stick is still the same feel with a little smoothing on the edges. Motion controls has more options for configuring deadzone and sensitivity in the menu which allows for very sensitive turning - if that's your jam.

Dpad controls seem to benefit the most from the change. It definately makes the easy cup easier to handle with wiimote only for Noobs and vets alike but the higher difficulties is going to take extra precision because of the limited turning radius that comes with the new setup. @wiiAdventurer

Another thing to note is the smooth turning has been added to the ship, not the camera. So the camera still feels snappy.

Last edited by newo,

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
For the past couple day I have been messing this the handling. Its still not quiet balanced enough when you go up to harder difficulties with the wiimote dpad. Of course its perfect for easy but on arcade its not as good as the analog stick.

NewoZero Beta v3.58 - download link
- refining the colours abit to ensure that the look of the game is as clear as possible.
- Colour theme menu now under display
- tweeked the wiimote dpad feel/handling a little
- you can change the FOV for the game in the debug menu (55-125)

Last edited by newo,

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
It's so pretty. I also like the addition underground, makes it a little easier to see instead of just the wire mesh!.

Yeah the underground is brighter now. I have been tweeking stuff alot I dont remember everything I have changed. Its the same style as v1 just with more filler to flesh out the world. And for those really good players there is the master cup with lots of tracks to practice on.

Plus themes like gray scale;
screenshot_20230720220217.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/NGOSybO-5R4?si=SmiQ0UaynHR80xC9