Homebrew [WIP] Prohax is now open source!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraFfiX420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
crashes have nothing to do with exploits. I couldn't even read the rest of your post because that one line jabbed my frontal lobe like a thorn.

Oh, OK, maybe talk to smea, as this info came from him? I'm sure you're much smarter and way more qualified than him, but maybe you two can sort it out?

**EDIT/RANT - It's nitpicky BS like this that is one of the things that brings this forum downhill, this guy just basically says I don't know what I'm talking about, then offers no explanation whatsoever, seriously, don't you have anything better to do with your time?

Last edited by GraFfiX420,

GraFfiX420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or more probable, you just misunderstood what he was saying.

Or maybe you just like to call people out for minor discrepancies and not even offer up any knowledge as to exactly what the discrepancy is? Seriously, if I've said something incorrect, correct me, I'm totally comfortable with that, but don't talk down on me, offer something constructive.

Reactions: WeedZ

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Or maybe you just like to call people out for minor discrepancies and not even offer up any knowledge as to exactly what the discrepancy is? Seriously, if I've said something incorrect, correct me, I'm totally comfortable with that, but don't talk down on me, offer something constructive.
Fair enough. If you want unsigned code to run, the last thing you want is for the software you're trying to use as an entrypoint to crash. Take cubic ninja for example. The qr reader doesn't verify the code in the qr is encrypted. So code is placed in qr to redirect instructions to a safegame where it then launches a payload on the sd. Cubic ninja does crash, but only when the homebrew highjacks it's process. if it were to crash beforehand, there would be no way to run code because there would be no software running. Other types of exploits, like buffer overruns, also cause whatever software used to crash once unsigned instructions are launched. For some reason, so many people think a crash is what's needed for an exploit and it's simply not true. Sorry for being short with you, but seeing this all the time gets annoying. If you find a crash in a game, it's 100% not exploitable.

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
crashes have nothing to do with exploits

That's not entirely true, although I get your point. Forcibly crashing a chunk of software is sometimes part of the process, but it has to crash in a rather specific manner that still allows stuff to be written to the buffer. Crashing is usually more of a side effect as opposed to a starting point.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
That's not entirely true, although I get your point. Forcibly crashing a chunk of software is sometimes part of the process, but it has to crash in a rather specific manner that still allows stuff to be written to the buffer. Crashing is usually more of a side effect as opposed to a starting point.
Yeah, I clarified that in a later post

Reactions: Subtle Demise

GraFfiX420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fair enough. If you want unsigned code to run, the last thing you want is for the software you're trying to use as an entrypoint to crash. Take cubic ninja for example. The qr reader doesn't verify the code in the qr is encrypted. So code is placed in qr to redirect instructions to a safegame where it then launches a payload on the sd. Cubic ninja does crash, but only when the homebrew highjacks it's process. if it were to crash beforehand, there would be no way to run code because there would be no software running. Other types of exploits, like buffer overruns, also cause whatever software used to crash once unsigned instructions are launched. For some reason, so many people think a crash is what's needed for an exploit and it's simply not true. Sorry for being short with you, but seeing this all the time gets annoying. If you find a crash in a game, it's 100% not exploitable.

Thank you for clarifying, this answer gives me the knowledge I need to avoid making mistakes like this in the future and is greatly appreciated. I admit I have limited knowledge of this stuff, as you can see, you have almost 2k posts, I have less than 10 :)

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Links?
If entry points were so easy to "make", this would've been out by now.

Not trying to be mean, but there is a huge difference between LUA and C.
There's also a HUGE difference between knowing C and doing impressive things with it.
Kind of like knowing English vs. writing a best selling novel.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
You should have gone with Brunsploit for the name... Prohax is just confusing.
I have a better one. VaporHaxx.

edit:
Here's VaporHaxx2 already lol :P
https://github.com/Pikm/transformedhax_re

Let's play a game people. Find all the fuzzed saves that crash the 3ds and make a thread and Github page for each one. VaporHaxx will be a force to be reckoned with.

Last edited by zoogie,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Don't forget your one a day