ROM Hack [WIP] Paragon (Fire Emblem Fates)

CraftyZero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For dumping the game and getting the romfs.bin, would it better to use GM9 or Braindump? I hear GM9 is a bit more recent but the tutorial uses Braindump- just want to make sure.

CraftyZero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'd have to recompile the whole CIA each time. It's better to use NTR's layeredfs or Luma's layeredfs since you can just load the changed files.

Ohh okay, so I would recompile it on my 3ds as a CIA before I put it onto my computer or once I have it in Citra?

AgahnimD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to edit the base game's script .cmb files, but if I use the editor it loops back to start then crashes even if no changes are made.

Specifically, I'm trying to edit the game's B028_EV4.cmb file under the bev folder. Has anyone done something similar successfully?

I've attached a zip with the original game file as well as that same file saved from the program (B) if that's helpful.

Attachments

• B028_EV4.zip
    5 KB · Views: 193

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
So one issue I noticed in the Person editor that wasn't in the previous version.

For some reason, when I open a file (completely unedited), every block appears twice, further more, if I export the file, and open it again, it keeps happening, meaning the second time, I'd have 4 of each block!

I also can't get the "generate nmm" option to work.

I'll try reinstalling Java just in case.

Edit: Updating/Reinstalling Java did nothing.
And by old version, I meant the standalone Person Editor before FEFEditor was released, that one had no problems whatsoever, the problem seems to be present in the versions with FEFEditor.

Edit 2: Exporting modules work, but it still double loads all blocks.

I also can't get A007 to load with Dispos, tried all 3 region files (not that it'd make a difference), and couldn't get it to work, but it does work with every other I tried, so this is odd.

Last edited by DeathChaos,

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So one issue I noticed in the Person editor that wasn't in the previous version.

For some reason, when I open a file (completely unedited), every block appears twice, further more, if I export the file, and open it again, it keeps happening, meaning the second time, I'd have 4 of each block!

I also can't get the "generate nmm" option to work.

I'll try reinstalling Java just in case.

Edit: Updating/Reinstalling Java did nothing.
And by old version, I meant the standalone Person Editor before FEFEditor was released, that one had no problems whatsoever, the problem seems to be present in the versions with FEFEditor.

Edit 2: Exporting modules work, but it still double loads all blocks.

I also can't get A007 to load with Dispos, tried all 3 region files (not that it'd make a difference), and couldn't get it to work, but it does work with every other I tried, so this is odd.
Hmm. Which person file is causing double blocks to appear? I did some person editing on the latest version a little while back without running into an issue like that.

I'll take a look at NMM generation when I get a moment. That said, it technically isn't necessary anymore. The Person module included in the new version of FEFNightmare can edit any person file.

Something's up with the dispo editor at the moment. I probably messed something up while tweaking the UI. I'll see what I can do to fix the issue.

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Hmm. Which person file is causing double blocks to appear? I did some person editing on the latest version a little while back without running into an issue like that.

I'll take a look at NMM generation when I get a moment. That said, it technically isn't necessary anymore. The Person module included in the new version of FEFNightmare can edit any person file.

Something's up with the dispo editor at the moment. I probably messed something up while tweaking the UI. I'll see what I can do to fix the issue.
I tried loading the appropriate A007 file on both Person and Dispos, on Person it loads every block twice, and Dispos simply won't open the file, might just be this file though?

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Alright, I remade the tutorial, now it was done entirely on FEFEditor, and I showcase adding both a Dynamic Block and an NPC to a map, hopefully this allows other people to easily get started on this.

Reactions: KunoichiZ

HeartlessSeph

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to say thank you for switching to the module based injectors. Being able to make my own injectors is just A+. Thank you very much for that.

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update 3 is out! The primary feature of this update is a new rendition of Fates Script with support for Awakening and Echoes. The script format's changed a little bit, so old scripts aren't compatible with the new version. Consequently, I'm including both the original version of Fates Script and the new version. Anyways, here's a list of changes:
  • Added a new rendition of Fates Script with a tweaked script format and support for scripts from both Awakening and Echoes.
  • Added placeholder menus for Awakening and Echoes editors.
  • Added a "Duplicate Block" option to the dispos editor.
  • Added hotkeys for various menu options in the dispos editor.
  • Fixed a bug which would cause blocks to always use their X1/Y1 coordinate on the dispos grid when editing X2/Y2.
You can find a download link in the main post.

Last edited by thane98,

zackner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright, I remade the tutorial, now it was done entirely on FEFEditor, and I showcase adding both a Dynamic Block and an NPC to a map, hopefully this allows other people to easily get started on this.

There is one thing in the last part of your video I can not understand, maybe for my bad english but, you say you edit the second last in the person nightmare module because are the first you add in dispo editor or I hear wrong?

For example, I'm editing chapter 1, and I add soleil, if on the person nightmare module only appear Corrin M and Corrin F if I edit Corrin F I'm editing my inserted soleil?

One more thing, someone have the script from before awakening dlc? It's the most simple map I can remember, maybe I can learn something from this script, I dig chapter 1 script and I can't understand nothing more bgm and sound calls XDD

Thanks you all and sorry for the troubles.

Last edited by zackner,

ValiantChan

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I hate to ask a noob question, but I can't figure this out and I'm getting frustrated. I've been trying to edit Awakening's Ch11 cmb so that Chrom's new Gay Awakening options get scenes, and that part works perfectly fine - the scenes plays as they should. Problem is, after the Regna Ferox cutscene where you meet Virion and Cherche the game freezes when it's supposed to load the next chapter. Edits to the proposal work perfectly fine, so I can only imagine that the issue here is that adding a new event screws up something.

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
First, I just want to say how much I love FEFEditor, it's been so useful since it was just a bunch of separate tools (hello beta person injector), now it just gets better.

So, I found a weird bug, and I think FEFEditor can't handle unsinged values higher than 255.

If you open up GameData and make any sort of edit with the item module, the buy/sell price of every item will be reduced to 255, or rather, FF.

Fixing this is easy, go to the item module and change the buy price/sell price to NEDS, and this error won't happen anymore.

I'll keep a lookout and see if I spot this anywhere else.

Reactions: FlappyFalco

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Added my BCSAR editor, BCSAR View, to the main post. You should be able to insert new sounds into the base game using this program (including voice sets), though you need a certain set of tools to do so. I don't have much more to say on it right now since I'm pretty burnt out from working on it. The download link's in the main post under "Other Tools".

Reactions: FlappyFalco

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!