Status
Not open for further replies.

zaj

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
all you do with going closed source is putting more money in the pockets of gateway / sky. if you truly believe this will make more than a handful of people support Nintendo by buying games.. then you are pretty naive as developers.

the people that really want to pirate will drop money for a sky/gw and the people that can't afford it won't pay for retail games either.

in an environment where there are no other piracy methods available i could agree with this decision but in an environment like its now with at least 2 other known piracy methods available.. all you do is limit the potential of your own project. you don't stop piracy , you stop all the potential of a cfw and make the pirates just pick another method of piracy.

You only help the real bad guys with this. just like real life politics about drugs being illegal. by making alcohol illegal, you don't stop people from drinking. those people will be forced to get their drinks elsewhere. Criminals will make alcohol and will earn tons of money with. and instead of tightly regulated alcohol that is considered safe you could end up with stuff that makes you could go blind because of a bad brewing process. the probation period train wreck is a perfect example of how bad of an idea such things are. such an idea would have only worked if noone knew how to brew,but just like in the 3DS scene , there are other methods available.

Reactions: williamcesar2

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
or its like saying drugs are bad but people are making money from them so instead i will just make drugs completely free.....yeah before you know it there is many many many more drug users as its just a rampant problem, at least with a bigish price tag attached its not just as simple as "oh i have a 3ds, i will just pirate all my games for free", your comparison is just like saying nintendo should just make all games available for free just so the flashcard dev's don't make any money :blink:

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
exactly!..sheesh no-one here supports the game devs?? no wounder games devs are not motivated for working for nintendo as they where before.. i hate when i see people get ALL their games by downloading them!..if you want to pirate, atleast buy 80% of your games!..atleast..

..at most, maybe there could be a way to allow people play real backups (not roms..wich is almost the same buttttttt not really..), by using the private header of the original game you own or something that could make sure the person really have/had the game (it wont stop people from buying and reselling their games, but atleast it will reduce the people who actually load roms without buying a single game :teach: ). (then again..i can see some issues that could occur like when buying a used game taht someone already use the header..anyway..)
That way it will not allow pirating, but will still allow to modify content of our games we own and to be able to keep them all in one nice folder, without having to switch physical games in the console... just a tought :P

Reactions: Zidapi
D

Deleted User

Right now there is a big barrier to entry for a free warez loader with latest FW emunand support. Yes there is a CFW currently but it's very degraded in functionality compared to say Gateway's solution.

This barrier is what is keeping atleast 10% of all people from pirating, and is keeping the pirates to less than maybe 0.01% of the 3ds userbase.
I think it's very logical for these devs not to be wanted held accountable for the increase in pirates.

If you think about it economically wise, these devs of free CFW would be liable for damages in to the millions of dollars... Either that or jail time

williamcesar2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
all you do with going closed source is putting more money in the pockets of gateway / sky. if you truly believe this will make more than a handful of people support Nintendo by buying games.. then you are pretty naive as developers.

I bet he gave in to pressure from some elitist developers (aKa GW team) via PM.

Reactions: Margen67

Jhyrachy

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Just my 2 unrequested cent.

If you are going to relase the exploit anyway and only the FIRM will be closed source, this means that one that has the capability to modify the FIRM to run pirated games has enough skill to just make his own FIRM to run them.

The problem about piracy is not about people who can code, but about people who want to download 'something' that trough 'magic' will run downloaded games.

Maybe i'm too naïve, but i think that we should have more trust in people and if this project is born open source, it should be finished open sourced.

Pirates do not lacks of way to pirate, but we all lacks of way to use the system

Just look at the browser exploit. The scene exploded with it because when yfanlu relased his code and now we have memory dumper, pokemon injector, virtual console injector and much more!

I'm really gratefull for your work and i'm actively looking at oyour github code to learn stuff, but if we want to take away power from gateway and sky3ds we need open source tools; closed source stuff may be good in the short term, but in the long term the scene will be killed by it.

obviusly this is only IMHO, take it as you like.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
sad fact is, that a lot of the people crying about it, would be the same people who would start buying consoles, filling the up with romz and selling them on gumtree/ebay/computer fairs etc, so its not a issue with gateway making money from it, its more an issue with them not making money from it, im sure you guys seen all the "FULLY LOADED WII WITH 100 GAMES!!!" and "PRE-LOADED PSP WITH 50 GAMES BUILT IN!!!" ads, truth is all a free CFW would enable is for the informed to start selling hacked consoles to the un-informed that would normally be buying games legit for a big fat profit and not giving a bean to the original dev's.....which is why the homebrew channel had the "if you bought this software, you where scammed" warning on it, as thats all that ever happens with free rom loaders, dev make them free and leeches profit from it , is it any wonder scene dev's no longer want to make free solutions when people make hundreds/thousands of dollars from their hard work by selling it and never donate a penny back to the devs

yeah they may not of done it for the money but it would sure be annoying knowing people are making a killing off your work

Reactions: NEP

Jhyrachy

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

People who does this are not coder in any way. So open source is like closed source to them, because they cannot modify the code so suit their needs.

If we are talking about piracy, open source or closed source is not so much different.

If we are talking about: "if it's open source nintendo will sue me for millions, but if it's closed source they'll not do it" then i'll support dev in this choice.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
People who does this are not coder in any way. So open source is like closed source to them, because they cannot modify the code so suit their needs.

If we are talking about piracy, open source or closed source is not so much different.

If we are talking about: "if it's open source nintendo will sue me for millions, but if it's closed source they'll not do it" then i'll support dev in this choice.
yeah, but if you go back to the post where they said it would be partially closed source, they did say as parts of it could be easily modified.....it would be a few days until some person with basic programming abilities just hacked the code up to allow rom loading.....and they would prefer to keep their own project clean, not a 90% complete rom loader for someone to make a quick patch and think they are l33t h4xor of the year, when really if they didn't have the source code they wouldn't be able to do anything

if anyone wants to make a rom loader nothing is stopping them, anyone complaining here obviously just wanted someone else to do the work for them and will probably just be looking at the source code for
enablepiracy = 0
:rofl:

bobtheglob101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't see why the method really matters, the end goal is still the same (piracy). if you have a gw, then it shouldn't matter HOW you get your piracy, 'how' it happens, and by who is not important, the game still plays the same if the community gave me piracy vs if a for profit company let me play it.
it sounds a bit like 'ethical piracy', if that is even a term.
As far as I'm concerned, dumping your own copy of games and playing them for your own personal use is legal, and wouldn't be considered piracy but rather a backup. Now I know the term "backup" is tossed this forum to loosely refer to piracy but I'm referring to the actual meaning here. I just want to clairify some terminology here, I really don't intend to drag this on into some heated debate.

For the team working on KARL3DS: Although it is unfortunate that it is being limited due to people pirating, I still hope the best for you guys. I can still certainly make use of the region free feature so my JP N3DS becomes somewhat useful, and I thank you for that. I had forgotten to say that in my last few posts so probably sounded like an ungrateful prick :P

Reactions: gamesquest1

kamesenin888

Trophies
XP
Country
any cia built using all the content needed that is on cdn (so, yes system titles) are legit, so yes they will work
any legit cia would work once installed
the whitelist cia thing i shared, the cia is not properly signed, so it breaks the whitelist = good for what we wanted to do :)

i'm not sure how you could give us nice cia installing, because to install devmenu and run it, sigchecks for stuff would have to be patched, so, you would make your own cia installer? (that seems a waste of time) - anyway, i'm just thinking :)
Excuse me cearp what white list cia?

AlanWeird

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd be so happy with a system similar to devolution on Wii. Making your own games into verified CIA. I'm not interested in piracy anymore. It ruined the enjoyment of gaming for me. Mainly though? All I want from my new 3ds is to transfer all my stuff from my old one without losing exploitable firmwares. :) hope that's possible with this.

God bless myself buying cubic ninja for £3 a year ago.

Reactions: Zidapi

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh we won't stop developing this, we have a good amount of progress at this point.

NEVER BACK DOWN, If you are guys are truly making a stand on anti-piracy than stick with it. If you want to make this a closed-source by all means do so.

Edit: I would like to have this thread cleaned up. Its getting far off topic from what the OP is creating

Reactions: SLiV3R

williamcesar2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This Smea-like attitude toward piracy slows the scene almost as much as Gateway-like teams pay-walling piracy. This seperation of goals and moral high-ground or outright greed is counter-productive toward the mutual goal of owning the device that was paid for. Does anyone in the mobile scene think they shouldn't create root-tool because someone could pirate an app? Or create root-tools and then charge for them and fill them with obfuscated code to prevent clones? Look how quickly the PSP and Wii scenes progressed because everyone just wanted the same thing - outright control over the whole system.

Perfect !
Perfect again !

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dangnaggit! After days of visiting this thread, you guys decide to go close-source. All hope is lost. :wacko:
Clarification: Only FIRM modification will be closed, everything else will be open. So if someone wanted to make their own CFW bases on bootstrap, that's fine, and we'll still keep ARM9 loading open. But all the actual stuff used to patch firm will be closed. That's not to say that everything will be 100% closed after ARM9 access is gained, because we could also go the NTR route and do the rest in the open with proper hooks and stuff for devs as well, so we'll see. Everything is still in motion at the moment.

sanni

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
All I want is to play my retail games online and have access to the eShop and game updates. Hopefully this won't be needing any of the closed source patches to FIRM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-