Hacking [WIP] KARL3DS - Kernel access on N3DS via Ninjhax + Loadcode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kracken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think many people got a bit carried away with the goal of this project, from the offset it even said the name stood for "Kernel Anti-piracy Region-free Loader"
see the goal if im understanding correctly is to simpy have a free, region free loader that works on the n3ds with improved hombrew by allowing kernel access, funny for so long people having been saying "we want kernel access so we can have better homebrew".....once this starts to happen those same people complain that its not a rom loader.....so basically all the "we need kernel access for homebrew" that many people where saying they wanted for homebrew, what they really meant was "we want rom loader, and who cares about homebrew"

I fully respect that they want this to no enable piracy, but it is the closed nature of it that has me worried. There simply aren't many people doing much in the 3DS scene right now.

codychaosx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well in all technicality I guess you could install some sort of .cia loader and have the NAND relocated somewhere else, but it would be useless for warez and unsigned stuff so not really much point to it other than installing update .cias I believe (because IIRC you can install that one .cia to downgrade the DS whitelist in sysNAND and it'll still work outside of Gateway mode, so logic would have it that we could install signed system .cias I think. No guarantees though.)
could probably install legit cias tho like the ones that come preinstalled on consoles like mh3 n yada yada

Reactions: Margen67

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I fully respect that they want this to no enable piracy, but it is the closed nature of it that has me worried. There simply aren't many people doing much in the 3DS scene right now.
many projects are closed source, if they feel uncomfortable having it open-sourced as someone would just mod it to enable piracy....well then thats their decision....better someone making some closed source progress than saying unless its all open source we dont want it.....there is tons of info around for people to work with if they are capable, these guys are proving that.

this project is a good thing, and maybe it will lead to something good, we just have to wait and see, but its pretty rude of people to be complaining about someone else's project and making demands that it should allow rom loading or all be open source when they aren't the ones making it

again good luck to the OP and don't waste too much time explaining your decisions, as they are yours to make :)

ody81

Trophies
XP
Country
That's the goal of bootstrap itself, to give you absolute control over the device you own. If you want to code anything to run in either usermode, ARM11 kernel, or ARM9 kernel, with bootstrap you will have that complete freedom, entire control over the device you bought. The problem is, many people feel that having "freedom" on their devices means being able to install/pirate whatever the heck they feel on it, and have control over their device in that aspect. And in some respects, that can be a good freedom, especially in terms of ROM hacking and whatnot, which I completely understand. However, the one thing that we have to keep in mind and what seems to be the most controversial is that we want to keep this thing entirely anti-warez. That doesn't necessarily mean limitations placed on what you can and can't do, but we don't want to have any piracy involved.

Yeah, and that seems to be the problem here unfortunately. A lot of awesome things rely on signature checks being removes, especially stuff with .cias. Our goal here is a simple, enhanced CFW for those who wish to have some things like emuNAND, region free, and all the little bits and enhancements that Gateway features with a price tag. However, that doesn't mean we are saying no to anything outside of that entirely. Implementing FTP, custom themes, and all that kind of stuff is entirely possible to have patched in all the while retaining signature checks in place. Saves could be relocated to the SD card just like the NAND can, even unencrypted if we really took the time to do it, FTP could be run as a service (maybe, no guarantees on that one), and custom themes are also a possibility. So it's not a situation of complete limitation, it would just have to be done differently I guess.

Nobody wants to live under the moral objections of a third party. It's Nintendo's job to worry about piracy and deal with it their way and nobody else's.
This objection was always going to happen, and it should, this scene is near toxic as it demonizes what <some> people choose to do for whatever reason they do it.

No politics on the dance floor is a fantastic rule everyone should try to abide by.

bobtheglob101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been following this topic for a few days now and I just read the announcement. There goes my hopes of a true and open CFW. I'm not into piracy at all yet these morals are once again imposed on everyone. The 3DS scene is full of devs withholding bugs/exploits/CFW's because they're afraid of someone else receiving knowledge and OMGZ PIRACY!111 I understand this is your project and you can do whatever the hell you want with it, but I guess I'm just too used to the highly progressive PSP/DS/Wii scenes. Hope I didn't come off as rude, I didn't mean to be.

Kane49

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I've been following this topic for a few days now and I just read the announcement. There goes my hopes of a true and open CFW. I'm not into piracy at all yet these morals are once again imposed on everyone. The 3DS scene is full of devs withholding bugs/exploits/CFW's because they're afraid of someone else receiving knowledge and OMGZ PIRACY!111 I understand this is your project and you can do whatever the hell you want with it, but I guess I'm just too used to the highly progressive PSP/DS/Wii scenes. Hope I didn't come off as rude, I didn't mean to be.

Just go and buy a gateway

Reactions: SLiV3R

bobtheglob101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just go and buy a gateway
I do indeed have a Gateway that I use for legitimate purposes such as dumping my purchased games and playing it on the GW card for convenience. It's all well and good, it's just that I'd much rather be using something that's by the community rather than a product made by a company that's for-profit.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
It's all well and good, it's just that I'd much rather be using something that's by the community rather than a product made by a company that's for-profit.

i don't see why the method really matters, the end goal is still the same (piracy). if you have a gw, then it shouldn't matter HOW you get your piracy, 'how' it happens, and by who is not important, the game still plays the same if the community gave me piracy vs if a for profit company let me play it.
it sounds a bit like 'ethical piracy', if that is even a term.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Sadly, that's just how it is. Many people would keep complaining when they don't get the things they want. :(

Whatever people want to pirate, I support their project on homebrew launching. It was fine with ninjhax, fine with .cia homebrew.

flarn2006

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a qualified reverse engineer who's quite new to 3DS but would like to help. All I've done with 3DS so far is make an assembly language patch to A Link Between Worlds to let me go to Lorule early. (I made operator new return nullptr in a very specific instance, which prevents the barrier at Hyrule Castle from spawning.)
Can you make or recommend a tutorial on disassembling and patching 3DS games? It doesn't have to explain assembly language or anything.

Reactions: Margen67
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la