Status
Not open for further replies.

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That makes sense, so it's the ROP chain at the very beginning, that copies the payload into memory (which is the arm 11 code?) and ultimately jumps to it to start it's execution?
Anyways, I've bookmarked this thread, I'm looking forward to the progress that has been made, and yet to come. keep it up!

Dazzozo

KRAZOA PALACE
Trophies
Website
dazzozo.com
XP
Country
That makes sense, so it's the ROP chain at the very beginning, that copies the payload into memory (which is the arm 11 code?) and ultimately jumps to it to start it's execution?
Anyways, I've bookmarked this thread, I'm looking forward to the progress that has been made, and yet to come. keep it up!

Launchers that require 4.x exploit a vuln in PS_VerifyRsaSha256 to directly run ARM9 code. They don't get ARM11 code execution first, they exploit VerifyRsaSha256 from ARM11 ROP.

Is there a code repository I can take a look at?

-palantine

For what? bootstrap is public, firmloader isn't.

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You know, it's funny reading all the comments on "You should make it a piracy loader too, for the freedom of information etc!", but the irony here, is that most of the hacks being used here, were discovered and developed solely by that very same commercial interest in a non-free piracy loader. In short, bitch as you may about there not being a stable, widely developed, free piracy loader, guess what? Without that paid loader, due to the lack of interest in the 3DS scene initially, we probably wouldn't have even seen anything resembling piracy, let alone homebrew. Though I'm not one to kiss feet, I am willing to face facts. As far as the 3DS hacking scene is concerned, all hail Gateway. Oh, and the 3DBrew crowd/Smea, they're cool people too.

Even Smea appears to have learned from Gateway's original loading code though, so don't for a second think he's exempt from the sphere of Gateway's influence. He's done great things since, but Gateway started everything for the public scene, and continued bringing new exploits as well. The only ones who might have gotten kernel access earlier are yellows8 and his crew, but as nothing's been made public, we can't say for sure.

TL;DR: No Gateway = No 3DS Scene as we know it. Deal with it.

PS. In no way am I smacking this project, and I can't wait to see its progress. I'm just addressing the ignorant notions of those who aren't seeing the big picture.

Reactions: Zidapi

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, it's funny reading all the comments on "You should make it a piracy loader too, for the freedom of information etc!", but the irony here, is that most of the hacks being used here, were discovered and developed solely by that very same commercial interest in a non-free piracy loader. In short, bitch as you may about there not being a stable, widely developed, free piracy loader, guess what? Without that paid loader, due to the lack of interest in the 3DS scene initially, we probably wouldn't have even seen anything resembling piracy, let alone homebrew. Though I'm not one to kiss feet, I am willing to face facts. As far as the 3DS hacking scene is concerned, all hail Gateway. Oh, and the 3DBrew crowd/Smea, they're cool people too.

Even Smea appears to have learned from Gateway's original loading code though, so don't for a second think he's exempt from the sphere of Gateway's influence. He's done great things since, but Gateway started everything for the public scene, and continued bringing new exploits as well. The only ones who might have gotten kernel access earlier are yellows8 and his crew, but as nothing's been made public, we can't say for sure.

TL;DR: No Gateway = No 3DS Scene as we know it. Deal with it.

PS. In no way am I smacking this project, and I can't wait to see its progress. I'm just addressing the ignorant notions of those who aren't seeing the big picture.

Gateway is definitely a primary driving force in the 3DS scene, although many of the other hackers such as yellows8 and neimod know a significant amount of information which almost parallels if not exceeds Gateway's knowledge on new exploit vectors. yellows8 has known about firmlaunch hax since he started his process9 reverse engineering, however it wasn't until gateway release their stuff that the general public had something to reverse and finally figure out and base their works off of. And in some ways, many of the things we have we owe to them, although in other aspects they also borrowed a lot from the non-commercial scene as well (ie the actual, original exploit used for FIRM launching).

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

DS profile rop (decrypts and) loads your payload to 0x2b0000 virtual and moves the stack pointer there, that decrypts some stuff at 0x2b0188, and on from there. GW does some cute stuff with generating keys at runtime early on, but those keys are already well known and everywhere.
Like really, that's all you should need to be able to get at GW's payloads if you're curious. And everything I just said has been public for a really really really long time...

overlord00

A motherfucking birdplane
Trophies
XP
Country
So apparently I've caused this massive outcry from the community... my bad.
I do hope this project continues.
I've gone and read all the way through this topic. Trying to keep up to date with it all.

I'm going to try to read and understand the source. Any tips on where to start?
Also, any news on this:
I just wrote out a massive tutorial for getting into the 3ds homebrew development and exploiting scene, and then realised it was a little off topic. I'll make a new thread and link it here.

That being said, KARL3DS [...]. It's a powerful developer tool with new 3ds support. [...].
Why don't you refer to it as a toolbox or a toolkit or something instead of referring to it as a CFW. That way, people will know it's a collection of tools (ie booting region free, etc) instead of thinking its a full blow "CFW" that people are misbelieving it to be (and wanting it to be something else).

main.c - Improve stability. This allows exiting back to HB menu.
Huzzah!

Keep at it guys.

Reactions: Margen67

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why don't you refer to it as a toolbox or a toolkit or something instead of referring to it as a CFW. That way, people will know it's a collection of tools (ie booting region free, etc) instead of thinking its a full blow "CFW" that people are misbelieving it to be (and wanting it to be something else).

You misunderstood.

We're basically allowing full access to ARM9 and ARM11, and then building basically a CFW off of that. Piracy isn't a goal, though.

Creating CFW hasn't started.

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DS profile rop (decrypts and) loads your payload to 0x2b0000 virtual and moves the stack pointer there, that decrypts some stuff at 0x2b0188, and on from there. GW does some cute stuff with generating keys at runtime early on, but those keys are already well known and everywhere.
Like really, that's all you should need to be able to get at GW's payloads if you're curious. And everything I just said has been public for a really really really long time...

I'll try to look into this sometime, but no promises. I know some asm and c++, but when it comes to this, i'm basically learning from ground 0. But none the less I like learning these things

Reactions: SLiV3R

overlord00

A motherfucking birdplane
Trophies
XP
Country
You misunderstood. Creating CFW hasn't started.
Thats the thing, what you are going to craete doesn't have to be referred to as a CFW. That's what I'm getting at. I'm not suggesting what you have now is, or is not.
All I'm saying is change what you refer to it as.
People that way wont expect other things.

Dazzozo

KRAZOA PALACE
Trophies
Website
dazzozo.com
XP
Country
I don't think it needs to be difficult. If anything it should be more clear in the context of the 3DS. "Custom firmware" should refer to modified FIRM.

Reactions: SLiV3R
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Translate the whole video for us...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Something about family guy
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it has the auto captions
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But the captions are in english, I only speak Ebonics
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i made myself a pizza today, that shit was mid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, atleast it wasnt that bad
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but i can't let a mediocre pizza bring me down, just around this time last month i made that cheesecake
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What does pizza and sex have in common? When its good, its good. But when its bad, its still pretty good.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know burnt pizza can be pretty bad
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    gonna download sonic generations to my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    How do you put games on there? Does it have like a game store on the ps3?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Black market store
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, download a pkg file, put it in a usb or a sd card, put the usb or sd card to ps3, turn on ps3hen, go to install game, install the game
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok yea that's same with me, was just curious. Coolio
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao my keyboard decided to randomly die
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its prob your new router interfering w it