ROM Hack [WIP] Fire Emblem Fates Randomizer

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Um so i just noticed that CY02 didn't and can't be decompressed. I am assuming this is what is causing my problem, but i don't know what to do from here
I wouldn't worry about that file, the randomizer doesn't actually touch any of the My Castle maps, so it doesn't matter if you cannot decompress that one.

A couple of people have encountered an issue where the randomizer encounters an error and stops before completely randomizing everything. I'm still trying to reproduce the error, so I don't have any immediate solution to the issue. My only suggestion would be to try what others did and build the folder you are going to randomize from scratch, though I can't guarantee that this will fix the freezing.

Samantha007

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
When I try to randomize the files the blue bar thing goes up by a quarter and then stops and I don't know how to fix it...

Edit: never mind I just reset my computer and it worked
I'm also getting this problem but restarting my computer didn't work.
I've waited about 30~ minutes for the files to randomize but the bar hasn't moved from this position at all.
843f056d2c8c543f4fb5e1cae719913e.png

I've followed the instructions exactly so I'm not too sure what's going on; though I do know I had A LOT of romfs when I dumped the game.

EDIT: Tried reinstalling and/or making new copies/recompressing everything. The only thing I haven't tried is redumping the romfs. Any ideas?
EDIT EDIT: Updated Java, still no luck.

Last edited by Samantha007,

Danno3321

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've waited about 30~ minutes for the files to randomize but the bar hasn't moved from this position at all.
843f056d2c8c543f4fb5e1cae719913e.png

I've followed the instructions exactly so I'm not too sure what's going on; though I do know I had A LOT of romfs when I dumped the game.

EDIT: Tried reinstalling and/or making new copies/recompressing everything. The only thing I haven't tried is redumping the romfs. Any ideas?
I've encountered the same issue. I've restarted my computer multiple times and tried using FEAT on the original files from the romfs a second time. Neither has helped. I managed to get the bar to go to about 50% immediately by not randomizing join order, but it seems to freeze at 50% almost immediately after it reaches it (and obviously I would like to be able to randomize join order if possible). I've looked through the folders and the only file that had a different extension than the others in the subfolder was CY02 (which didn't get converted to a .bin file by FEAT) but removing that file from the folder didn't seem to fix the issue or impact the randomizer in any way, including detection. I'm far from an expert with this sort of thing, so I don't know what else to try besides redumping the romfs and starting with a completely new set of files. I'll start that now and update this once I know whether the new romfs behaved any differently.

Reactions: Samantha007

wuboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how exactly do you use Gay Fates with this Randomizer? do you just copy the randomizer files over the Gay Fates patch, or is there something more?

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how exactly do you use Gay Fates with this Randomizer? do you just copy the randomizer files over the Gay Fates patch, or is there something more?
Move the Gay Fates files over your fresh files, then use the Randomizer on those files.

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've encountered the same issue. I've restarted my computer multiple times and tried using FEAT on the original files from the romfs a second time. Neither has helped. I managed to get the bar to go to about 50% immediately by not randomizing join order, but it seems to freeze at 50% almost immediately after it reaches it (and obviously I would like to be able to randomize join order if possible). I've looked through the folders and the only file that had a different extension than the others in the subfolder was CY02 (which didn't get converted to a .bin file by FEAT) but removing that file from the folder didn't seem to fix the issue or impact the randomizer in any way, including detection. I'm far from an expert with this sort of thing, so I don't know what else to try besides redumping the romfs and starting with a completely new set of files. I'll start that now and update this once I know whether the new romfs behaved any differently.
I'm looking into the issue right now. If you want to help me fix it, try running the randomizer from command prompt. Go through everything like you did previously and leave the command prompt window open in the background. Around the time that the progress bar appears to freeze, you'll likely see some sort of error appear in the command prompt window. Copy the entire error and post it so that I can see where the code is failing.

well I did that, I can't recruit certain characters, like Nyx, and Marth's hero battle doesn't work. It just crashes.
The issue with recruitment for Nyx's replacement is a known issue. It should be patched when the next version comes out. I haven't heard anything about the Marth's hero battle though. Where does the crash occur?

wuboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking into the issue right now. If you want to help me fix it, try running the randomizer from command prompt. Go through everything like you did previously and leave the command prompt window open in the background. Around the time that the progress bar appears to freeze, you'll likely see some sort of error appear in the command prompt window. Copy the entire error and post it so that I can see where the code is failing.

The issue with recruitment for Nyx's replacement is a known issue. It should be patched when the next version comes out. I haven't heard anything about the Marth's hero battle though. Where does the crash occur?
Right after the dialogue with whoever replaces Marth the map will crash.
Man, I already deleted my randomized files too. Do you think I can remake the randomized files with the text file? Is there a way to do that?

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right after the dialogue with whoever replaces Marth the map will crash.
Man, I already deleted my randomized files too. Do you think I can remake the randomized files with the text file? Is there a way to do that?
Not at the moment, unfortunately.

wuboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not at the moment, unfortunately.
Damn. I had a Kitsune Marth and Kitsune Azura. Literally the furry blue power couple.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Will building the randomizer from the text file you generated will be a feature?

Samantha007

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
7b3265dc733b2d2b2a1c7c610754190e.png

It gets here and then the rest of the CMD past there is just blank space. It doesn't get past that point ever. EDIT: Upon further inspection I don't see any error messages, either.
Thanks for the help, by the way, I've been waiting for a Fates randomizer for a very long time and am really looking forward to it.

Last edited by Samantha007,

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It gets here and then the rest of the CMD past there is just blank space. It doesn't get past that point ever. EDIT: Upon further inspection I don't see any error messages, either.
Thanks for the help, by the way, I've been waiting for a Fates randomizer for a very long time and am really looking forward to it.
Thank you, the null pointer exception and line number is all I needed to see. I'll try and get a fix for the issue out soon so that you can actually use the randomizer.

Danno3321

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
7b3265dc733b2d2b2a1c7c610754190e.png

Mine seems to be doing something similar. I'm no expert at coding, but looking at this CMD window and mine, it appears to be going wrong in a similar way:
Desktop_2017_01_10_18_30_09_065.jpg
Desktop_2017_01_10_18_30_22_492.jpg

As for trying the braindump again, the new romfs files did the exact same thing.

On a somewhat unrelated note, does the randomizer work for downloaded routes, or just the route that the cartridge is for? I've been using the braindump on my physical Birthright cartridge, but after selecting and unselecting Birthright in the randomizer, Conquest and Revelations become selectable. I have all 3 routes on my system, so I don't know if this is a bug of some kind or just how it's supposed to work.

Samantha007

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
On a somewhat unrelated note, does the randomizer work for downloaded routes, or just the route that the cartridge is for? I've been using the braindump on my physical Birthright cartridge, but after selecting and unselecting Birthright in the randomizer, Conquest and Revelations become selectable. I have all 3 routes on my system, so I don't know if this is a bug of some kind or just how it's supposed to work.
This is the case for me too, just with conquest not birthright.

Reactions: Danno3321

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I think I figured out what was causing the freezing issue. I forgot to set up a check in the code for randomizing GameData to check whether or not the user selected child randomization. Because of this, the code would always try to get the list of child characters to randomize, which would come back as null for those who didn't select child randomization, causing the randomizer to fail early on. I was able to randomize successfully using the configurations above after adding in the check. Hopefully that's all the issue was.

Also, thanks for telling me about the issue with the checkboxes - I added in a check to prevent them from enabling routes that didn't verify.

I updated the link in the main post with the hot fix for the error, so try using the updated version if you the randomizer froze on you previously.

Samantha007

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
Alright, I think I figured out what was causing the freezing issue. I forgot to set up a check in the code for randomizing GameData to check whether or not the user selected child randomization. Because of this, the code would always try to get the list of child characters to randomize, which would come back as null for those who didn't select child randomization, causing the randomizer to fail early on. I was able to randomize successfully using the configurations above after adding in the check. Hopefully that's all the issue was.

Also, thanks for telling me about the issue with the checkboxes - I added in a check to prevent them from enabling routes that didn't verify.

I updated the link in the main post with the hot fix for the error, so try using the updated version if you the randomizer froze on you previously.
3c621aadd8d5ed1fc20ed2f83b8c6241.png

Looks like all is well, thank you so much!

Danno3321

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Desktop_2017_01_10_19_28_13_325.jpg
Looks like mine is working as well. Thank you so much!

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally got it to randomize now to just figure out how to set it up via luma
Oh yeah, sorry about not getting back to you earlier, I got a little caught up with trying to fix the freezing issues. I'm glad that you were able to get everything working.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.