Country
The Sad Face Of Death

just read
the KMS server is down,
i assume it just got overloaded LOL
people think it might be Microsoft also tho that took it down

- ITS BACK UP!! :D
Not for me.
DLing the Hyper-V files, try activating that way.

First impressions are good though. 3rd party drivers don't work well yet (I can get metro apps to run by using built in drivers, but then Minecraft doesnt work ) but they will probably be fixed soon.
Metro takes a bit to get used to, but isn't all that bad. The store, though there isnt much in it yet looks promising.
I do want a Surface Tab now though.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
The Sad Face Of Death

just read
the KMS server is down,

Not for me.

First impressions are good though. 3rd party drivers don't work well yet (I can get metro apps to run by using built in drivers, but then Minecraft doesnt work ) but they will probably be fixed soon.
Metro takes a bit to get used to, but isn't all that bad. The store, though there isnt much in it yet looks promising.

i dont think you read my post carefully enough
-_-

ChaosAngel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I enjoyed Windows 8, and would probably switch to it completely if they just had compatible drivers for my laptop. The quick boot time and lightweight resources are incredibly enticing.

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
The Sad Face Of Death

just read
the KMS server is down,

Not for me.

i dont think you read my post carefully enough
-_-
?
Anyway, the KMS server keeps one coming back on line then going offline again. Half tempted to make a .bat file to send the command every so often.
The VHD method was a waste of time. Im too much of a noob to deal with server stuff

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
plus anything that microsoft integrate into the os they always mess up anyway, can anyone tell me who uses the feature to burn data to a dvd in windows explorer? no? didn't think so.

So you pick one flawed feature as an constructive example? Even then, I've used it from time to time, and most casual users I know use it all the time.

Certainly Windows ISO burner is fantastic. I never use anything else to burn ISOs to disk. Unfortunately it does feel a little like "too little, too late". I mean, who uses DVDs now anyway?

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry, kind of a noob at this stuff but what would I need in order to get this running? Do I need a separate partition? Will an external HDD work?

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Windows 8 Enterprise (Not sure which Version, it said Non-N) activated and running PERFECT. Using an AMD Radeon HD 6670 (Comp is mid to low in specs anyway) and the drivers are all installed. The only problem? iTunes doesn't work right, for now. I've had no problems with any other applications, and Minecraft works fine for me. ;)

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry, kind of a noob at this stuff but what would I need in order to get this running? Do I need a separate partition? Will an external HDD work?

someone posted the spec

its an official windows disk so once burned its like installing any other OS
Sorry, I worded it poorly, I knew my PC could run it. I mean, would I be able to use the external HDD from my Wii in some way?

Pong20302000

Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country

someone posted the spec

Sorry, I worded it poorly, I knew my PC could run it. I mean, would I be able to use the external HDD from my Wii in some way?

you might be able to boot from USB but unsure, depends what you pc can boot from, id just burned to DVD, easyiest way

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country

someone posted the spec

you might be able to boot from USB but unsure, depends what you pc can boot from, id just burned to DVD, easyiest way
But what you burn to the DVD is just an installer isn't it? It can't run 'live' off the disk can it?

In which case would I be able to install it onto the HDD after burning to a DVD?

Pong20302000

Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country

someone posted the spec

But what you burn to the DVD is just an installer isn't it? It can't run 'live' off the disk can it?

In which case would I be able to install it onto the HDD after burning to a DVD?

yeah the DVD is the installer then you can install to any HDD / USB (if supported by Motherboard)
obliviously if windows 7 is already loaded you can upgrade

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country

someone posted the spec

yeah the DVD is the installer then you can install to any HDD / USB (if supported by Motherboard)
obliviously if windows 7 is already loaded you can upgrade
Cool thanks, I can see where the confusion was now. Forgot to mention that I plan on keeping Win 7 for the time being, just wanted to give 8 a try.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
OK, got it up and running thanks! I'm guessing the KMS server is down at the moment (unless I'm doing something wrong).

First impressions: Winds 8 is really nice, it's fast smooth and neat. However I'm not a massive fan of having no start menu, it may just be me but it seems as if the applications that you run from the new start menu (such as IE) run in a different 'area' (not on the desktop), and I can't even figure out how to close them. :L

Could someone recommend the best start menu / other changes hack? Thanks.

Pong20302000

Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
OK, got it up and running thanks! I'm guessing the KMS server is down at the moment (unless I'm doing something wrong).

First impressions: Winds 8 is really nice, it's fast smooth and neat. However I'm not a massive fan of having no start menu, it may just be me but it seems as if the applications that you run from the new start menu (such as IE) run in a different 'area' (not on the desktop), and I can't even figure out how to close them. :L

Could someone recommend the best start menu / other changes hack? Thanks.

you change change bits once activated

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, the curiousity got the best of me and it seemed the consenus was that these were unmodified iso's. So I went ahead and installed Win 8 Pro to a vhd. Shame I missed out on the whole KMS thing, but I'm sure other things will pop up to activate.

Out of the box, I think Win8 is frustrating, since you seemingly don't know how to do anything you actually want to do in the begining. It would be perfect for somebody like my mom who just wants to turn her computer on and check email or what not and not worry about any of the stuff underneath.

However, once I played with it a bit, moved some things around, started tweaking things, etc it did start to grow on me a bit. Overall, it does seem faster and more responsive then Win 7 is, and I can see how some of the new features may be more productive once they are gotten used to - even the new start menu. The only thing I really don't like is how Metro apps default to full screen and don't close unless you go out of your way to close them. I understand they are supposedly suspended like in Android, which might make sense for some apps, but does something like "settings" really need to stay in the background forever?

So, bottom line for me is, I think Windows 8 actually has potential, which surprised me. Don't know if I'll switch to it full time or not yet, but right now its interesting.

@Wizerzak Start8 gives you the new start menu but has it appear in the same place as the old start menu. Vistart gives you a Vista/7 style start menu. As for closing metro apps, you can do Alt-F4 (some times) or press the Win-key then go to the upper left hand corner, find the app, right click on it and hit close. Or, you can use task manager to kill it (ctrl-shift-esc).

Reactions: 1 person

Bobbyloujo

I am a millipede, I am amazing.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed it on my older Vista laptop. I'm actually very impressed. The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A205-S5804, which is a total piece of crap, really. Vista hardly worked on it because of that memory leak with the updater. Even after I disabled the updater service the thing was still pretty slow when running Vista. So, I installed Windows 8 along with Vista on it. Windows 8 boots and shuts down incredibly quickly. It runs so much faster and smoother than Vista. It's actually a usable computer now. In fact, I'm using it to type this post right now.

As far as the new UI, I don't mind it. Actually, I find it very easy to use, even on a laptop with no touch screen. Switching apps is easy and you don't have to cycle through them one by one. If you throw your mouse into one of the left corners then move it up or down along the edge of the screen, you'll see a list of all the apps you have open. Click on the app to open it or right click on it to close it. I've had no problem finding things such as the Control Panel or Disk Management because of the search option. Throw your mouse into either of the right corners to open a menu with Search, Share, Start, Devices, and Settings. The Search feature works very similar the old search feature in the old start menu.

I can think of one complaint, though it's very trivial. Scrolling in the apps is not consistent. On the Start menu, you can push the curser against either edge of the screen to scroll left and right. That's all well and good, but, in other apps, that doesn't work. In some apps, I can scroll with the trackpad on my laptop. That's great, but I can't do that in the Start menu. Some apps, the trackpad won't even work. I must move my curser to the bottom of the screen and use the scroll bar. Any programmer should know that consistency is a good a thing.

As I was typing the last paragraph I thought of another thing. I can't figure out how to very two apps side by side. That was something that Microsoft showed in their demo that I kind of liked. When I try to drag in a second app from the side of the screen and hold it there, nothing happens. Also, if you move your curser to the top of the screen while using an app, you can grab the top of the screen and the app gets smaller and you can move it around but it doesn't appear to have any purpose.

Overall, I'm impressed. The Metro UI makes it easy to get to small apps for quick use and it's still easy to use full applications on the desktop. I've gotten use to using the corners of the screen to control the new UI and I actually find it very quick and easy. It'll be even better for tablets because it'll run faster and easier than Windows 7 and it'll be able to run full applications unlike iOS and Android. If I have the money to spend, I may consider getting a Surface tablet. They look pretty sweet :)

Reactions: 1 person

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I decided to bite the bullet and install Windows 8 Pro on my MacBook Air, but I installed it with the BIOS installation instead of the EFI installation. And I found out you can't convert a BIOS Windows 8 into an EFI Windows 8 without reinstalling.
How much of a difference does it make?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/tP_4p2-HkOo?si=YA0-tpAzP26E-P66