Windows 8 Consumer Preview, BIG game performance boost.

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Xuphor, Mar 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xuphor
    OP

Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

Banned
    Jul 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    The consumer Preview has been out a while now, which is why this isn't USN worthy, but I recently switched over to Windows 8 Consumer Preview 64 bit.

Computer idiot friendly version:
    http://windows.micro...dows-8/download

ISO version:
    http://windows.micro...S/windows-8/iso

Yes, it's 100% legal.

Please note, it is a cross of a Tablet OS and Windows 7, which takes a lot of time to get used to. However, once you properly configure it to your liking, install the Windows 8 graphics drivers from Nvidia and ATI's websites, and manage to understand the new Start Menu, it's great. One thing I really want to emphasis here is the benefit for gamers. ALL of my games gain a 20-50% FPS boost on the exact same computer form my Windows 7 installation. It doesn't matter if you used max or lowest settings on the games, you will get a significant performance boost. I guess Windows 8 manages resources better. There are a lot of other perks too, like despite I have the same number of icons on Windows 8 as I did on Windows 7, Windows 8 gets to the main screen and fully usable without horrible slowdown within 10 seconds of hitting the power button. Windows 7 takes a good 5 minutes to get that way.

What does everyone else think of Windows 8?

2. Midna

Midna Banned

Banned
    Apr 13, 2008
    Albania
    Hmm, maybe I'll install it when I get my new laptop

3. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    Might have to try it out as well.

4. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Maybe it's just me, but when I installed Windows 8 I didn't necessarily notice any kind of speed boost whatsoever...

5. jamesaa

jamesaa The Prince of Insufficient Light

Jan 8, 2006
    When I tried it i didn't notice any real boost in performance within games - however i didn't stick with it long as I had some compatibility issues.

Are you sure it's not just from it being a fresh install? No crap slowing everything down, and maybe newer graphics drivers installed? (may seem obvious but it's worth asking)

Boot time however sounds impressive, i boot from a SSD so the longest part of my boot process is entering my password :glare:

6. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    IIRC, the Win7 betas also had some quite nice boost, then in the RTM one the advantage was lost.

I might install it for the lulz somewhere.

7. Xuphor
    OP

Banned
    Jul 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    @[member='Suprgamr232']
    Comsumer Preview or Developer Preview? They are very different from each other, and the Developer Preview ran terribly with games for me. Also, make sure you get the Windows 8 Nvidia or ATI drivers, as I said in the OP.

@[member='jamesaa']
    I didn't say I did a fresh install, nor did I. I did an Upgrade, all files/registry/everything kept, I wanted to ensure all my games would still be playable. I also directly said in the OP that you need to get the Windows 8 specific drivers from Nvidia and ATI.

@[member='raulpica']
    That's kinda why I did too, lulz for the most part. It ended up I truly am liking it more than Windows 7 (not just for the boosted performance), It's just a much cleaner and.... hard to describe why, but I like it a lot more than Windows 7.

8. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Consumer Preview. Almost no noticeable speed increases whatsoever from what I remember.

9. celcodioc

celcodioc Major A$$hole

Nov 13, 2011
    I'll try it when someone finds a way to disable Metro completely...

But let's not turn this into a Metro vs. Start Menu discussion ;)

10. Xuphor
    OP

Banned
    Jul 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    @[member='celcodioc']
    Press the Windows key to switch between the two at any time. If you're too lazy to do that, then I'd stick with Windows 7.
    EDIT: Google for MEtro disable hack in Windows 8, they're all over the place. It turns it back into a regular start menu. Not worth it imo, since you can just press the Windows key.

@[member='Suprgamr232']
    I have no idea then, if you got the Windows 8 specific drivers too. Do you have some sort of super computer that already plays every game on max at 60fps?

11. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I did...

My PC is no super computer, but it plays (so far) all games I've thrown at it at mostly max settings at 60fps so...maybe that's why?

12. Xuphor
    OP

Banned
    Jul 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    Yea, once you hit the highest FPS cap for most games, you kinda can't go higher.

13. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Well yeah, but I didn't have any increase in, say, emulation or anything. Unless no difference could be made...but meh.

14. Xuphor
    OP

Banned
    Jul 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    Yea, that's not what I was refering to. I meant actual PC games meant for PC, not games meant for another system being played on a PC.

15. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Bull****. No one with more than 2GB of RAM will see a positive performance difference from Windows 8 Consumer Preview, and if you have 2GB or less you shouldn't be gaming.

16. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Well been planing on it and now you got me installing it.

17. Xuphor
    OP

Banned
    Jul 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    100% unecessary lobbed insults. I have 6GB ram first of all, I get huge performance boost, that's enough of you and your incredibly pointless insulting/trolling.

18. soulx

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    It's probably more of a case of Windows 7 being horribly bloated with tons of tasks in the background thanks to programs you've installed. When you installed Windows 8, it was a clean install and wasn't bloated.

19. Xuphor
    OP

Banned
    Jul 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    For the love of whatever diety you worship, read my comment here I did not do a clean install, nor ever even implied I did. I'm not sure why 2 people now just randomly assumed I did.

20. prowler

prowler Sony

Jul 14, 2009
    Ragol
    Highly doubt a consumer preview will give you a boost in performance from games, you're probably just thinking it because it's all brand new and sparkly.

Unless we see actual benchmarks, I call bull.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.