Will the Switch be able to handle Sonic Forces without downgrading?

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by Saiyan Lusitano, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    "Project Sonic 3D" now known as Sonic Forces (thank god the WiiU's over or if it were an exclusive, it'd be "Sonic Forces U" lol). The main concern is seeing how the Switch is nothing more than a Nvidia Shield so graphically the game might not be up to par with the PS4/XO versions.

If Sonic Forces on the Switch has the visuals of Sonic Generations then I'd be happy with it but honestly it would be a lot nicer if the visuals could be improved. Yes, I know, the Switch can't compete with PS4/XO in graphics but pushing it to the limit perhaps could help it.

Gameplay video below.

2. Pippin666

Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, Qc
    Always depend on SEGA's lazyness level. They can poorly port, or recode for Switch.

Pip'

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  3. DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's Saint Holy Sword Dragon

Oct 28, 2015
    Chile
    under your bed
    it's going to be downgraded, just like any upcoming xbox one/ps4 title that is also coming to switch (not that there are a lot of third party stuff coming to switch anyways...)

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  4. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    Taking Dragon Quest Heroes for an example, it seems like it wasn't optimised at all to run on the Switch and instead rushed it to the platform. Developers can't do this because it affects the playability of their games.

5. Enteking

Enteking Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 10, 2016
    United States
    Not a single 3D port will be possible without downgrading. If the game is not designed for the Switch from the ground up it will suffer.

Even Yooka-Laylee looks really bad on the Switch compared to PS4. But since the Switch uses the same hardware as modern smartphones, it does not stand a chance against the PS4 which uses real PC hardware.

Last edited by Enteking, Mar 17, 2017
    Subtle Demise likes this.
  6. DeslotlCL

Oct 28, 2015
    Chile
    under your bed
    Obviously dqh was rushed, but the switch still will never be on par with the ps4/xbox one, so games ported from them will never look the same or better.

7. LichbannMejolaro

LichbannMejolaro GBAtemp Regular

Feb 21, 2017
    Brazil
    Is there any hope for a good Sonic game?

8. kingraa777

kingraa777 boom!

Apr 17, 2015
    Yep sonic mania

9. s157

s157 Grinder Extraordinaire

Sep 23, 2016
    United States
    You can always just run in handheld mode and it'll look great for a handheld. But yeah, like the others have said before me, it will pale in comparison to the other platforms unless it was specifically designed for the switch. Being able to run it in a handheld is what would sell me, if anything. But I'm also extremely biased in favor of handhelds.

10. slingblade1170

slingblade1170 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    It's all up to how Sega wants to handle it. It's possible but gotta wait and see.

11. CrimsonSteel

CrimsonSteel Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 17, 2017
    United States
    Not unless they are making the game with the Switch in mind, and porting to the Xbox/PS4 (which I highly doubt).

12. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    No party supporting say anything about downgrade.. Not even this game. I think Switch can handle its fully without a downgrade. Where did you get that information about Switch might have a "downgrade" some games ? Nobody say that.. Not yet anyway. I don't think so.

13. DeslotlCL

Oct 28, 2015
    Chile
    under your bed
    The switch is already confirmed to be less powerful than the other two consoles... do you even think a shield tv could run a full featured ps4 game without frame drops or downgrades? Just look at how some AAA titles released on the shield runs compared to the ps4/xbox one versions.

Memoir likes this.
  14. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Realistically, the Switch will run multiplat games lower at a graphical and performance level. It's common sense when you compare the hardware.

s157 and DeslotlCL like this.
  15. Axido

Axido GBAtemp Fan

Feb 12, 2014
    Germany
    It's still old low-end PC hardware vs modern high-end smartphone hardware. My advice: if you really care about graphics, don't use either console.
    I'm not interested in Sonic Forces as a game... at all. But it's interesting to see how some multiplats perform on the Switch. Before that actually happens, though, there's nothing to gain from this thread... Just the good ol' pissing contest.

16. s157

s157 Grinder Extraordinaire

Sep 23, 2016
    United States
    There's always the unlikely chance that the switch version will be identical if the game in general isn't optimized for the other platforms.

17. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    Its hard to say, the game itself doesnt exactly look complex. Its mostly on rails/scripted shit almost all the time, graphics might see a downgrade to get it at 30 fps.

18. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Sonic games aren't really graphic powerhouses. If it can handle a Mario, it shouldn't have a problem with Sonic or any cartoony mascot kind of game.

19. NeoSlyde

NeoSlyde GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 6, 2015
    Macau
    Morocco
    Sonic=/=Mario
    In term of graphics: Sonic >>>>>>>>>>>>> Mario
    Best platform to play on: PC (Mods etc..)

20. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    Where is the source ? Confirmed by whom ? A 100 percent proof ?