Gaming Will the Switch be able to handle Sonic Forces without downgrading?

• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 2,945
  • Replies 26
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
"Project Sonic 3D" now known as Sonic Forces (thank god the WiiU's over or if it were an exclusive, it'd be "Sonic Forces U" lol). The main concern is seeing how the Switch is nothing more than a Nvidia Shield so graphically the game might not be up to par with the PS4/XO versions.

If Sonic Forces on the Switch has the visuals of Sonic Generations then I'd be happy with it but honestly it would be a lot nicer if the visuals could be improved. Yes, I know, the Switch can't compete with PS4/XO in graphics but pushing it to the limit perhaps could help it.

Gameplay video below.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's going to be downgraded, just like any upcoming xbox one/ps4 title that is also coming to switch (not that there are a lot of third party stuff coming to switch anyways...)

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
it's going to be downgraded, just like any upcoming xbox one/ps4 title that is also coming to switch (not that there are a lot of third party stuff coming to switch anyways...)
Taking Dragon Quest Heroes for an example, it seems like it wasn't optimised at all to run on the Switch and instead rushed it to the platform. Developers can't do this because it affects the playability of their games.

Enteking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not a single 3D port will be possible without downgrading. If the game is not designed for the Switch from the ground up it will suffer.

Even Yooka-Laylee looks really bad on the Switch compared to PS4. But since the Switch uses the same hardware as modern smartphones, it does not stand a chance against the PS4 which uses real PC hardware.

Last edited by Enteking,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Taking Dragon Quest Heroes for an example, it seems like it wasn't optimised at all to run on the Switch and instead rushed it to the platform. Developers can't do this because it affects the playability of their games.
Obviously dqh was rushed, but the switch still will never be on par with the ps4/xbox one, so games ported from them will never look the same or better.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can always just run in handheld mode and it'll look great for a handheld. But yeah, like the others have said before me, it will pale in comparison to the other platforms unless it was specifically designed for the switch. Being able to run it in a handheld is what would sell me, if anything. But I'm also extremely biased in favor of handhelds.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No party supporting say anything about downgrade.. Not even this game. I think Switch can handle its fully without a downgrade. Where did you get that information about Switch might have a "downgrade" some games ? Nobody say that.. Not yet anyway. I don't think so.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No party supporting say anything about downgrade.. Not even this game. I think Switch can handle its fully without a downgrade. Where did you get that information about Switch might have a "downgrade" some games ? Nobody say that.. Not yet anyway. I don't think so.
The switch is already confirmed to be less powerful than the other two consoles... do you even think a shield tv could run a full featured ps4 game without frame drops or downgrades? Just look at how some AAA titles released on the shield runs compared to the ps4/xbox one versions.

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Realistically, the Switch will run multiplat games lower at a graphical and performance level. It's common sense when you compare the hardware.

Reactions: s157 and DeslotlCL

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Not a single 3D port will be possible without downgrading. If the game is not designed for the Switch from the ground up it will suffer.

Even Yooka-Laylee looks really bad on the Switch compared to PS4. But since the Switch uses the same hardware as modern smartphones, it does not stand a chance against the PS4 which uses real PC hardware.

It's still old low-end PC hardware vs modern high-end smartphone hardware. My advice: if you really care about graphics, don't use either console.
I'm not interested in Sonic Forces as a game... at all. But it's interesting to see how some multiplats perform on the Switch. Before that actually happens, though, there's nothing to gain from this thread... Just the good ol' pissing contest.

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's always the unlikely chance that the switch version will be identical if the game in general isn't optimized for the other platforms.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its hard to say, the game itself doesnt exactly look complex. Its mostly on rails/scripted shit almost all the time, graphics might see a downgrade to get it at 30 fps.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonic games aren't really graphic powerhouses. If it can handle a Mario, it shouldn't have a problem with Sonic or any cartoony mascot kind of game.

NeoSlyde

Let us start the game
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sonic games aren't really graphic powerhouses. If it can handle a Mario, it shouldn't have a problem with Sonic or any cartoony mascot kind of game.
Sonic=/=Mario
In term of graphics: Sonic >>>>>>>>>>>>> Mario
Best platform to play on: PC (Mods etc..)

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The switch is already confirmed to be less powerful than the other two consoles... do you even think a shield tv could run a full featured ps4 game without frame drops or downgrades? Just look at how some AAA titles released on the shield runs compared to the ps4/xbox one versions.

Where is the source ? Confirmed by whom ? A 100 percent proof ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: