Will I have to reinstall Windows when changing MOBO?

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have a Win7 disc. Only a Bootable flashdrive with it
That's fine. When your computer boots up, there should be a screen that says press something for bios. Mash that. When it gets to the bios, it's hard to say, all bios are different, but it shouldn't be too hard to navigate to the boot menu. From there, just tell the bios to look at your flash drive (USB port) before it looks at your hard drive (SATA port) and make sure you save and then exit the bios. Then when you boot it will load the windows installer. If you have your old hard drive plugged in it should be possible to create an old folder with all your old files from before the new install. But I would be safe and back up your hard drive if possible.

DarkFlare69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's fine. When your computer boots up, there should be a screen that says press something for bios. Mash that. When it gets to the bios, it's hard to say, all bios are different, but it shouldn't be too hard to navigate to the boot menu. From there, just tell the bios to look at your flash drive (USB port) before it looks at your hard drive (SATA port) and make sure you save and then exit the bios. Then when you boot it will load the windows installer. If you have your old hard drive plugged in it should be possible to create an old folder with all your old files from before the new install. But I would be safe and back up your hard drive if possible.
If everything goes as planned, it will only touch the windows folder ajd it won't delete my personal data? (I.e roms and homebrew)

I'm making a backup up the C:\Users folder because thats all my important stuff and uploading it to mega.nz

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If everything goes as planned, it will only touch the windows folder ajd it won't delete my personal data? (I.e roms and homebrew)

I'm making a backup up the C:\Users folder because thats all my important stuff and uploading it to mega.nz
Well, not exactly. It will pack up everything from your old c:/ drive, as in windows files, personal files, etc, and toss it in a folder called "old" or "windows old" or something in the root of your new c:/. From there if you want to put it back where it used to be you gotta dig it out of that folder. For example to get your old programs installed you'll have to find them in Program Files (or Program Files x86) and move them to the new Program Files folder, and even then they won't show up on your start menu and it's a bit of a hassle to get that set up. All your files will be there, though. Somewhere.

Oh, and this is important. I've had times where windows is just feeling obnoxious and will NOT let me install without formatting the old hard drive. Don't worry about this happening automatically. You will have to manually select the option to do this in the install wizard, but if you do, you will lose EVERYTHING that isn't backed up. So watch out for that. Hopefully windows won't make you do that though.

Last edited by Deboog,

DarkFlare69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, not exactly. It will pack up everything from your old c:/ drive, as in windows files, personal files, etc, and toss it in a folder called "old" or "windows old" or something in the root of your new c:/. From there if you want to put it back where it used to be you gotta dig it out of that folder. For example to get your old programs installed you'll have to find them in Program Files (or Program Files x86) and move them to the new Program Files folder, and even then they won't show up on your start menu and it's a bit of a hassle to get that set up. All your files will be there, though. Somewhere.

Oh, and this is important. I've had times where windows is just feeling obnoxious and will NOT let me install without formatting the old hard drive. Don't worry about this happening automatically. You will have to manually select the option to do this in the install wizard, but if you do, you will lose EVERYTHING that isn't backed up. So watch out for that. Hopefully windows won't make you do that though.
I don't have too much data on my computer that can't be backed up. I hope everything works out

MercilessDeth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's a newer motherboard you may have to enable legacy support and disable secure boot to get it to boot Win7. Otherwise you'll get a 'boot device not found' error or something similar.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You should be able to use the same HDD you use now in another Computer and use this as a Bootable Device.

I did something Similiar even on an "old" windows XP machine and all there was to do was installing new Drivers for everything XD
As I work as an Administrator at the Local Town Hall seeing the Town is poor like every other Town we have some places that still need to run WinXP computer because there are hardware that do not work on newer OS like some Plotter we have around here and in my case the burning system from the crematorium.

If actually some MBR or whatever breaks you can still use testdisk or whatever to repair it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I knew it was Norwegian but I didn't know it was Krone/coin, that's cool :P

Yet your government/top external intelligence agency provides an amazing resource to avoid such things
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/ , in this case https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/no.html

Back on topic yeah the browser backup thing was because more often than not I find people have configured settings, bookmarks, logins, history they might want to see, addons, settings/learnings for those addons (having to remake my noscript, request policy and adblock whitelists/blacklists would be an awful way for me to spend a weekend) and whatever else, to say nothing of not having to download a few hundred megabytes of email headers.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: (i was allowed to do that)