Hardware 780ti get, but shows Error 43. How to get it working properly again?

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So to keep it as succinct as possible,

I won an auction for a 780ti sold as used and working. It arrived fast enough; plug it in, it boots up, shows a picture and recognized by Windows. I didn't seem to have a problem until i tried to run some benchmark stuff to test, which prompted me to start inspecting.

Good news is that i already got my refund from the auction sale. But i still have the card. And unfortunately with Error 43 in the device manager when it's installed. I tried the software stuff witbout issue, and was able to find and flash an updated VBIOS for it. However, i still have the Error 43. MSI afterburner can't even give me any details like voltage or temps. So it has me scratching my head at this point.

Why a 780ti now? Couple of reasons...
  • Already got a 980ti and present main pc has a 1080ti. Would be a good streak for collectable purposes i guess
  • Still a solid gpu with WIDE operating system support
  • Basically the highest end GPU that i could stick into a retro machine and still have Windows XP drivers for it.
  • It would have let me juggle some parts and maybe indirectly do a gpu upgrade for the wife.
So I'm thinking it's more hardware at this point, because the software troubleshooting didn't really produce any different results for me. I'm just wondering what i can do to basically revive it... Even though it technically does work, but not really?

Also on the prospect of a high end winxp gpu, the options do seem limited.
  • 780ti cards that work typically go for well into ~$150 range on eBay
  • First gen titan/black/z are supported, but are all well above 300 even second-hand now, with a working titan z being 600+
  • R9 270x is pretty meh, even compared to a gtx 960
  • Radeon 7990s still demand at least 200 on eBay, regardless of condition.
  • Sadly, amd won't let at least a 290x work, much less the 295x2 as a viable option.
Sorry for the ramble there; just trying to think of what to do, if, i fail to solve the error 43; or worse, kill this one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jUWpmU-X8k