Hardware In retrospect my system is kind of garbage.

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"Proton"

I like this system and it performs well, problem is that it has a couple problems related to cooling.

The first one, which is a minor annoyance, is that despite the fancy watercooling CPU overclocking is limited by the motherboard not handling voltages as well.
The secon problem, which is much mor major, is that by cramming in two cards for Crossfire the second card has such restricted airflow that simply watching 720P MP4 videos on the second screen will eventually bring it to 90c and shut down the system. I suppose the fact that I have a Wifi card and a LED lights card installed don't help, as otherwise I could use my vented PCI covers.

I believe I can solve my problems (or at least mitigate their annoyances) By switching the case for one with better ventilation, and replacing the water cooler with a heatsink. https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Futurdreamz/saved/cjqbvK
That helps the video cards avoid overheating, brings down the entire system's noise level, and offers a more reasonable cooling setup for the system. (I'll have to pull out the Wifi card and the lights, but I don't need lights and a USB Wifi card I can reposition for better reception would be better anyways.). I can keep my water cooler, but I don't want to if it's an expensive part I can't make use of, and I am terrified of the thought of trying to put it back in. I might as well just pull it and put in an air cooler.

Does that sound like a plan? Thanks.

Last edited by Futurdreamz,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How many fans do you have pulling cool air from the front of the case? Is your PSU fan facing up or down?

I would fully endorse getting a case with better airflow except for the fact that your case already should be at least decent, and it's concerning that the GPUs are running that hot, considering they're open-air and should be able to pull air from the sides without being restricted by each other

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They are glassed in on the side, and while the PSU points up it sits flush against the bottom fan basically, and there is basically no venting on the back there except for the gap where the pci screws are. I ended up ordering the case and heatsink in the part list I linked to. It has a great big open grill where the video cards are so they get proper ventilation that way.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I just realized I never updated the pictures after adding my second card. I'll do that when I unplug it to do the block organ transplant

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would fully endorse getting a case with better airflow except for the fact that your case already should be at least decent, and it's concerning that the GPUs are running that hot, considering they're open-air and should be able to pull air from the sides without being restricted by each other

Twin Frozr IV cooler is rubbish. MSI didn't get their shit together until the Twin Frozr V on the 390. It's not suprising that one is hitting 90C when in Xfire. Even with better airflow, I wouldn't be shocked to see the temps still not being great.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Twin Frozr IV cooler is rubbish. MSI didn't get their shit together until the Twin Frozr V on the 390. It's not suprising that one is hitting 90C when in Xfire. Even with better airflow, I wouldn't be shocked to see the temps still not being great.
Twin Frozr 2 actually got some very high reviews back in its day, but after that other brands took the spotlight.

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
maybe this helps explain my issue (click to embiggen)

I ordered this case as it has a big vent over the cards, and I ordered this heatsink because I don't want watercooling (and I'm going to try to sell the water cooler because it's an expensive part)

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
MOTHER FUCKER the cooler I bought (and has already shipped so I can't change it) uses the original AM3+ mounting bracket, but I just discovered that was removed for the water cooler! And the $7 free shipping replacement bracket from Amazon Prime is out of stock for 2 months, so I have to either wait a MONTH before switching my system or spend $25 on a $5 bracket to get fast shipping! GOD FUCKING DAMN IT

a0a496bacdaa8cdbd35974184415db0fb2113853a70daf121d984d8c70605bb7.gif

I'm just going to be grateful when I get this all done. Ended up costing at least double what I expected (mostly because I impulsively bought some more fans) But I will be very happy with my system when it is done. After this I am very certain I won't replace anything (might add a bluray drive and more hard drives), and when I do upgrade I will do a complete replacement and only keep the drives.

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you want cooling that is right up there with liquid, get one of the new noctua fans. or a hyper 212 X or Hyper 212 X Turbo (comes with two fans). both are amazing coolers that have kept my 8350 over clocked at 4.60ghz going no higher than about 75C (unless the program i use is lying) on full load. also you OC issues stems from your mobo. get a 990FX board and itll all be good. 970&980 boards arent meant for OCing the FX series, i know this from making the same mistake before.

also http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nkw=amd cpu bracket&ssPageName=GSTL to fix your bracket issue.

Last edited by nero99,

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1. My intention was to solve my system's issues with the least number of problems. Overclocking is not a priority for me but having my videocards not overheat is. If I take out one card my 1000w PSU ends up as wasted money, and I simply would like to avoid the hassle of a watercooler - and maybe sell it to recuperate the cost (spending $70 on fans despite being pretty sure I don't need them kinda puts a damper on that though)

2. I need the bracket in 2 days, not 2 months. $2 is all well and dandy but if it's free shipping from aisia it may be months before it comes in. I'm still waiting on a couple things I bought in OCTOBER.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."