Hacking Will 4 gb card do or do I need bigger

yusuo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought myself a wii u, it hasn't arrived yet but i plan to run everything off a 500gb usb, will a 4gb SD card do just to mod the thing and run basic homebrew

LinkFan16

I link them all
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It depends. If you plan on buying games the legit way either on disc or from the eshop then yes, 4GB is enough to mod the Wii U and loading basic homebrew. Even if you're going to mod the Wii U's Wii Mode at a later time, 4GB will still be enough. If on the other hand your plan is to obtain Wii U games the not-so-legal way you will need an SD Card with a size of at least 32GB. That's because as of this point in time, there are two ways to play your "backups" on the Wii U:

1. Using a homebrew loader called "loadiine", which can only read games from the SD Card as of now
2. Downloading the games from Nintendos servers using a PC, where you then need to put the game files on the SD Card to finally install them either to the Wii U's internal memory or an external usb drive. The games themselves are split up in several smaller .app files, but all of these smaller files need to be present on the SD Card during installation. Depending on the game, the overall filesize of a game can be 2-3 GB or as much as over 20 GB, so there's no way to fit that on a 4GB SD Card.

Another important thing to note is that in order to use an external usb hdd for Wii U games, the console will format the drive with a special filesystem that as of now can only be read and written to by the Wii U itself. So you can't store Wii U and Wii games on the same drive if that is something you wanted to do.

Hope this helps :)

yusuo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It depends. If you plan on buying games the legit way either on disc or from the eshop then yes, 4GB is enough to mod the Wii U and loading basic homebrew. Even if you're going to mod the Wii U's Wii Mode at a later time, 4GB will still be enough. If on the other hand your plan is to obtain Wii U games the not-so-legal way you will need an SD Card with a size of at least 32GB. That's because as of this point in time, there are two ways to play your "backups" on the Wii U:

1. Using a homebrew loader called "loadiine", which can only read games from the SD Card as of now
2. Downloading the games from Nintendos servers using a PC, where you then need to put the game files on the SD Card to finally install them either to the Wii U's internal memory or an external usb drive. The games themselves are split up in several smaller .app files, but all of these smaller files need to be present on the SD Card during installation. Depending on the game, the overall filesize of a game can be 2-3 GB or as much as over 20 GB, so there's no way to fit that on a 4GB SD Card.

Another important thing to note is that in order to use an external usb hdd for Wii U games, the console will format the drive with a special filesystem that as of now can only be read and written to by the Wii U itself. So you can't store Wii U and Wii games on the same drive if that is something you wanted to do.

Hope this helps :)
Thanks for the heads up, if i use loadline does the wii u still format the drive.

Also can i run homebrew off the same 500gb, i was hoping to run retroarch on it?

LinkFan16

I link them all
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you connect a usb drive to the Wii U which has not been formatted yet, the console will ask you if you want to format the drive first. You can always say no to that and the usb drive will keep it's original formatting so you can store for example roms and emulators on it, but no Wii U games. I'm not really famliar with retroarch, much less on the Wii U. But I've read that there is indeed a retroarch build out there for the Wii U that is able to load roms of an usb drive. And after doing some searching it turns out that USB support was added to retroarch Wii U by FIX94 some time ago inside the nightly builds found here

Edit: Turns out I forgot to mention you need some kind of CFW on the Wii U in order to have USB support in retroarch. There are several options for that. But the easiest ones are:

1. HaxChi, which injects itself into a Nintendo DS Virtual Console title that has to be bought from the eshop beforehand. HaxChi can patch the system menu of the Wii U into the state of a CFW. This state only lasts as long as the Wii U is turned on, so it has to be launche again after switching the console on and off.

2. Coldboot HaxChi, CBHC for short, is almost identical to HaxChi and injects itself into an NDS VC title as well. Other than HaxChi CBHC can be configured patch the system menu automatically each time you turn on the console, so no need to launch an app everytime before starting retroarch.

3. Last but not least there is a CFW called Mocha, which instead of directly patching the Wii U's system menu loads most parts from the SD Card instead of the console itself. Mocha requires you to have a backup of your Wii U's NAND on the SD Card, which can take up atleast 8GB I think, depending on if you have the 8GB variant of the Wii U or the 32GB one.

Last edited by LinkFan16,

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
32gb micro sd card costs less than 10 quid.
You literally lose more money waiting for the answer than you would if you just bought it. And you can use it basically for anything nowdays.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill