Wikileaks founder Julian Assange has been arrested

Discussion in 'World News, Current Events & Politics' started by Joe88, Apr 11, 2019.

1. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Feb 17, 2017
    Comoros
    He was already a refugee. I don’t think he fears Putin. He fears the U.S.

2. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    What you described could be accurate, but what you're forgetting is that Chelsea Manning herself was likely quite tech illiterate. Therefore it makes sense that someone would have to give her instructions on how to go about downloading everything.

His decision to not publish leaks on the Russian government was motivated by fear of Putin. He fears the US now because prosecutors are seemingly trying to go after him hard for military leaks.

Last edited by Xzi, Apr 12, 2019
  3. notimp

notimp GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2007
    Hacking with wget. Great. ;)

Subtle Demise likes this.
  4. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    Again, because of the stupidity of few - you judge an entire nation and ALL of it's people. Acting like every single person living in the USA has the exact same mindset. But whatever floats your boat. Doesn't matter if you're not Japanese. In fact, it makes my point even clearer. Because of you, who isn't even Japanese, just fuck Japan and everyone who lives there. It's really not a difficult concept to understand where I'm coming from.

5. cots

cots GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 29, 2014
    United States
    Just take anyone that the Liberals put to fame. They used them until they are all dried up and then throw them out like yesterdays trash. He did mess with National Security and no matter how much you might want to defend him the laws regarding that issue and the way the public fear the entire situation really give the US government a lot of power. He's lucky he's a public figure otherwise he probably would have just vanished never to be heard from again.

6. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Err...rather he's kinda in this mess precisely because he's a public figure. If he wasn't a guy who posts government/military secrets on the internet, nobody who could make him "disappear" would be after him. And I'm not sure why you think Trump's administration would go that harshly on him regardless of his fame or lack thereof.

Trump is the president and has installed his lackeys in every department/agency. You can stop pretending the "deep state" is real or controls anything now. If it was, Trump would've been dead or removed from office quite some time ago.

Last edited by Xzi, Apr 12, 2019
  7. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Here's something I want to say, fuck your anti-American bullshit and shove that mentality down your throat. We don't fucking want you over here anyway. Stop acting like any other country is magically better than any other country, because here's a newsflash, they aren't.

I don't go around bashing other countries' people for the actions of their governments, so don't go around doing the same to me, because it's just a stupid thing to do.

Last edited by the_randomizer, Apr 12, 2019
  8. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    You have some law that says this? You’ve said this several times without backing it up. I don’t mean what you think “should” happen. I mean is there any legal imperative? There are laws and regulations requiring the redactions.

9. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Not all laws are morally grounded.

10. erikas

erikas GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2015
    If by "meddling" you mean they made memes, then yes. Also, exactly what about it was illegal?

11. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    It's funny that people still bring it up as if doing so will change the past.

12. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Russia did a lot more than make memes.

Last edited by Lacius, Apr 12, 2019
    Xzi likes this.
  13. notimp

notimp GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2007
    As far as russia is concerned Assange was merely a useful idiot (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Useful_idiot ) and a public figure they could use. If at all. (I'm not personally familiar with the matter.. ;) )

The other stuff (Clinton emails, and Trump), has almost nothing to do with the matter at hand. (Published classified information on a whole bunch of things, including the Iraq war. Got himself in a whole lot of trouble because of it.) Yet, this thread is full of the stuff (Trump and Clinton emails) that really hardly matters at all.

In regards to the Clinton emails, a James Comey was far more responsible for the public impact, than an Assange was - yet I dont see him ending his life in a high security prison. ;)

What this means (imho) is, that people are projecting stories, and meanings onto the public figure of an Assange, instead of taking the precedings at face value.

He created an anonymous leak platform. He made some minor political moves (wasnt always impartial), now hes about to be locked away for life, maybe tortured, maybe put in solitary confinement, after a political deal, and a betrayal of granted immunity rights, by a south american country.

The Assange story.

Pamela Anderson can play the girlfriend in the movie. ;)

Last edited by notimp, Apr 12, 2019
    CallmeBerto likes this.
  14. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Oh so that's why you're bashing Americans and telling us to go fuck ourselves, makes sense to me. How very kind.

15. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Yuh, I read some of the stuff he did, it's like he wanted to get thrown out. But, I think being locked in a room like that gave him "cabin fever", and he started to lose his mind. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. I feel a bit sorry for him, because holy fuck if the US gets their hands on him. But, acting like a spoiled bitch, he brought it on him self.

Last edited by Viri, Apr 12, 2019
    CallmeBerto likes this.
  16. Elemi

Elemi Cute and wholesome~

Feb 29, 2012
    United Kingdom
    L o c a t e d
    Seems a lot of people here are quite happy to let the US and UK do whatever they want to the people and rest of the world without question or objection..

If Julian Assange is extradited, well, who else is going to be brave enough to stick their heads over the trench to as little as alert people to facts that are being executed on our planet to our fellow kind.

The truth is nobodies possession, and should be beneath no law, end of.

Free Assange..

EDIT:
    For no singular country's greater good should the exposure of the truth be concealed, this national security argument is why other countries are being attacked relentlessly and nobody really knows why, because nobody is allowed to tell us without committing 'espionage'..

Last edited by Elemi, Apr 12, 2019
    Subtle Demise and CallmeBerto like this.
  17. erikas

erikas GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2015
    There's a reason wikipedia is not accepted as a source. Also considering how overused "russian trolls" are in the leftist media i just throw out any argument that contains the phrase. Stop blaming russians for people not liking you. And i'm from a country that was occupied by the soviet union. Nobody likes Putin here, but you can't just keep blaming everything on him. Also what kind of 10d chess is he playing? Relations between USA and Russia are worse than ever.

18. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Wikipedia is a perfectly acceptable compendium for use in the context of our conversation here. Saying Wikipedia is bad doesn't do anything to demonstrate that Russia was only involved in memes, because they objectively weren't. If you don't like Wikipedia, there are sources at the bottom of the page for you.

That's in part because they illegally meddled in the 2016 election.

Xzi likes this.
  19. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Yes, it's been precedent since Watergate (Barr even mentioned this in his testimony yesterday). Just a couple years ago Congress received a full, unredacted report on Hillary's e-mails despite the fact that nobody was charged in that investigation. Republicans don't tend to be subtle in their hypocrisy.

IncredulousP likes this.
  20. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    What happened in previous investigations is pretty much irrelevant to this situation. Different types of investigations, different rules. Mueller was "special counsel." Ken Starr was "independent counsel." Jaworski (Watergate) was "special prosecutor." Different rules applied to each. Ken Starr had to turn his report over directly to Congress. Seedy details about Clinton got leaked to the public, so Democrats and some Republicans insisted on a new position, new rules, i.e. "special counsel," and those rules now apply to Mueller. He had to hand his report to the DOJ. Whether the DOJ provides it to Congress, the rules don't really say. (see https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...-happen-muellers-report-become-public/586060/) There are lots of laws and regs about grand jury testimony and personally identifiable information of peripheral 3rd parties, though. (There are some grand jury docs from Watergate that were still under seal until last year.)

You can thank the democrats of the Clinton era, though their reason for objecting to such investigation reports being made public is obviously correct ... the reason they didn't want Starr's report public is exactly the reason they now want Mueller's report to be public.

“We believe that information obtained during a criminal investigation should, in most all cases, be made public only if there is an indictment and prosecution, not in lengthy and detailed reports filed after a decision has been made not to prosecute,” Janet Reno, Clinton’s attorney general, told Congress at the time. “The final report provides a forum for unfairly airing a target’s dirty laundry.”

Now, who's not being subtle about their hypocrisy???

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted