Hacking WiiU VC game injection working on 5.3.2

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Like I said, I just bought Mario Kart, and it has a similar structure. I don't have the money to buy all the DS games and prove my theory, but I'm betting they've all been updated to use rom.zip.
I didn't buy a ds game cause I already have one so I don't know myself but yeah it looks like it.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah it seems a few people are commenting on now being .zip not .nds.

The really blows, so no more NDS injection then, like, at all? That's absolute bullshit, pardon my french -_- :glare: You don't think Nintendo's wising up, do you? What next, Snes games
no longer can be injected? That's provided they release any more (and they won't knowing them). Ugh....so, what now? Is this thread no longer useful?

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
The really blows, so no more NDS injection then, like, at all? That's absolute bullshit, pardon my french -_- :glare: You don't think Nintendo's wising up, do you? What next, Snes games
no longer can be injected? That's provided they release any more (and they won't knowing them). Ugh....so, what now? Is this thread no longer useful?
Hope not. I have bought a snes, nes and a GBA title, bit of a waist of money if so. The N64 is ok so I presume the rest will be I have a ds title so I'm ok.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Why don't others, try zipping your rom up in the original .zip file that you extract out of FSA and try again? just rename your rom to whatever it says in the first place and re-zip it.

Last edited by Reecey,
Reactions: the_randomizer

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Having the main ROM format being changed doesn't mean we won't be able to inject ROMs at all.
Give it a few tries for someone willing to screw around a little bit with the data from the UWAD, and I bet they'll come up with another way to inject the ROM.

AFAIK the Wii didn't have the ROM easily replaceable, so it is just a matter of figuring the new format in the worst case scenario.
And believe me, that hasn't stopped hackers... Never. :P

bache

Trophies
XP
Country
Why don't others, try zipping your rom up in the original .zip file that you extract out of FSA and try again? just rename your rom to whatever it says in the first place and re-zip it.

That's what I've been doing, but no dice. The ROMs I'm using are the same size as the base game. I even tried injecting a downloaded Mario Kart ROM into my legit Mario Kart VC, and nothing. There must be an additional check somewhere.

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
That's what I've been doing, but no dice. The ROMs I'm using are the same size as the base game. I even tried injecting a downloaded Mario Kart ROM into my legit Mario Kart VC, and nothing. There must be an additional check somewhere.
So have you opened the zip file up, extracted the original rom, got your rom you want to replace, renamed it and dropped it back in again, remember not all ds games will work try sm64ds that does 100% work ok.

bache

Trophies
XP
Country
So have you opened the zip file up, extracted the original rom, got your rom you want to replace, renamed it and dropped it back in again, remember not all ds games will work try sm64ds that does 100% work ok.

Tried that too. Also just tried SM64DS, and got the same result.

bache

Trophies
XP
Country
If I remember, I'll unpack the official Brain Training ROM and one downloaded from elsewhere, and see if there's anything fundamentally different.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What if you inject the zip file with the rom the actual title ID of the NDS game you want to play?

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would think if you were to rename it differently to how the original file is named, Cafiine would be unable to replace the original.

Well, you're replacing the file.zip with file.zip. I don't think it would matter the contents of the .zip since it's a compressed file.

n1ghty

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Make sure you use the same compression method in the zip. I don't have a nds vc title with zip to test :/
Maybe they implemented a check for the crc. The zip has a crc of the file in the header, you could hex edit that after you put the new rom in there to bypass a check like this.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure you use the same compression method in the zip. I don't have a nds vc title with zip to test :/
Maybe they implemented a check for the crc. The zip has a crc of the file in the header, you could hex edit that after you put the new rom in there to bypass a check like this.

I was thinking that too. There are a few extra things they could be doing for a .zip vs a flat file.

bache

Trophies
XP
Country

I have zero experience with hex editors :P. I can send you the legitimate rom.zip if you'd like.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I play to get a VC game of each console friday :) So I could try to do more tests guys :)

as for n64 games, some of you got mixed results. I wonder, did you also tried to edit the .ini file in the config folder? thus ia the thing that made me have some more succes than early tests I did first. :)

bache

Trophies
XP
Country
I play to get a VC game of each console friday :) So I could try to do more tests guys :)

as for n64 games, some of you got mixed results. I wonder, did you also tried to edit the .ini file in the config folder? thus ia the thing that made me have some more succes than early tests I did first. :)

I'd have no idea where to start on the config :P. If you have a few saved, mind posting them for the rest of us to test?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY