OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Hey

I just installed my Wiikey and all went almost perfect, I have put back all the screws but ended with a small nut, which apparently goes with the wii battery things as I can't screw it anymore...

Anyways, the only media I have tested for now is some old Memorex 1x-4x DVD+RW, burned at 4X, and I am experiencing a lot of DRE with it. I suposse the problem is the media. Must the media be a least burnable at 6X ? Is Memorex DVD+RW bad, or more generally any DVD+RW ?

DiNo29

CamaroShifter88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't say I've done anything yet, but from what I've learned swimming around these posts, the most important thing (besides the type of media) is to burn at the absolute slowest speed possible. It's not NECESSARY, however it can make a better disc out of a bad disc anyways.. You can never argue w/ a deeper burn as is. Just spend the extra few minutes it'll take you to burn it on a game of Wii Tennis or something. If you need a modchip to play Wii sports then... that's kinda sad, I'm not going to lie xD

As for media, I'm sorry I can't be a help because, I haven't looked in to specific medias that are good and bad yet :x

instigator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd stay away from RW's of any kind as they may not be as reliable as non-RW media. Go with high quality (Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim etc) -R's.

I burn my TY03's at 8x with IMGBurn and have yet to see a single DRE in the 20 + backups I own.

FuManChuu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Come to think of it... you are actually the first person i've heard try to use RWs
tongue.gif
But yeah, stick with some Rs, even cheaper ones like ritek, and youll have more success

WarmWoollySheep

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My problem with DRE's turned out to be a 40-pin IDE cable, which slowed down my hard drive, and made my iso's burn poorly.

An 80 pin ide cable solved the problem, and I can now burn at 16x with no problems, whereas before I could only do 4x.

If your hard drive / dvd burner are running in PIO, or even Ultra DMA Mode 2, you have a good chance of getting DRE's - even at 4x.

Let us know if your HDD or DVD burner are running in PIO or Ultra DMA 2. If you don't know how to check, look here:
http://www.onthegosoft.com/dma_setting_nt.htm

ginjaninja

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

it depends on the media. Basically you need to burn the media at the medias sweet spot. If a media i rated @ 16x then more than likely 16x is it's sweet spot. This all comes down to your burners firmware and the settings it has for different media.

For instance I've got 4x -R's and I burn then fine and the ply fin no DRE's
I've also got 16X +R's, If i burn them at 4x,6x,8x i get loads of DRE's. If I burn them @ 16X then the play perfectly.
I've also got 16x -R's, no matter what speed i burn these bad bhoys at there perfect.

find the sweet spot for your media, update for dvd's firmware helps alot.

pipesfranco

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I bought some maxell dvd+rw's from argos...they work fine do DRE's

I use RW for testing purposes like misc gamecube games or testing ntsc to pal conversions...not had one dre

Also handy to use RW's when testing a new dump

If a release is worthy or the conversion works it goes onto a verbatim...without doubt.

moloko23

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
My problem with DRE's turned out to be a 40-pin IDE cable, which slowed down my hard drive, and made my iso's burn poorly.

An 80 pin ide cable solved the problem, and I can now burn at 16x with no problems, whereas before I could only do 4x.

If your hard drive / dvd burner are running in PIO, or even Ultra DMA Mode 2, you have a good chance of getting DRE's - even at 4x.

Let us know if your HDD or DVD burner are running in PIO or Ultra DMA 2. If you don't know how to check, look here:

Can you run DMA Mode on a USB drive?

I go for Verbatim, haven't had the chance to test them in my Wii yet though since I'm bringing the Wii to the shop today to get modded...

varunb007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey

I just installed my Wiikey and all went almost perfect, I have put back all the screws but ended with a small nut, which apparently goes with the wii battery things as I can't screw it anymore...

Anyways, the only media I have tested for now is some old Memorex 1x-4x DVD+RW, burned at 4X, and I am experiencing a lot of DRE with it. I suposse the problem is the media. Must the media be a least burnable at 6X ? Is Memorex DVD+RW bad, or more generally any DVD+RW ?

DiNo29

I've had no DRE's and I've used TDK DVD+R's and Verbatim DVD-R's. I even tried one Ritek DVD+R and it worked fine. I mostly burned at 4x but recently I've switched to 8x and haven't experienced any problems.

Dazimus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Strangely I've just turned on my Wii to try Tiger Woods 07, after inserting the DVD at the main Wii menu, it tried to read the DVD, then said the Wii has encountered an error, eject the disc and turn off the Wii. So I did that, turned the Wii back on and the game played fine then, not too sure what happened there. Using Verbatim 16x too.

instigator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can you run DMA Mode on a USB drive?

I go for Verbatim, haven't had the chance to test them in my Wii yet though since I'm bringing the Wii to the shop today to get modded...

USB drives are well known to be more troublesome than internal IDE connected drives because it is a slower way of sending/receiving data. If you have to use this I would suggest burning at the lowest possible speed allowed by your media/burner. I would also make sure all background apps are closed and that you are not doing anything other than burning.

It would be preferable to connect the drive to the IDE channel on your motherboard. From what I remember each external USB drive can be disassembled and the drive removed from its housing. You can then connect it normally to the IDE connnector. Perhaps someone else can clarify this.

DiNo29

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
My burner is running in ultraDMA mode 4 , so this must be the media.
And my DVD burner lens is dead now, so maybe the previous burning buggued because it was dying ...
wtf.gif

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand

Let us know if your HDD or DVD burner are running in PIO or Ultra DMA 2. If you don't know how to check, look here:
Hold on a second, Ultra DMA Mode 2 is just fine, and is pretty much the standard for DVD drives. I think Windows actually often limits it to this because anything faster is not needed.

Edit: Actually it seems some manufacturers limit it on the drive itself (not the OS), because UDMA2 is all that is needed for 16x writing, which is the fastest atm. If you get an 80-wire cable and your drive supports it, that's when you can get higher DMA speeds.

The one thing you must make sure of though, is that it's not running in PIO mode - that's very bad. I've had previous burners that were working like a charm, then all of a sudden giving me lots of coasters, all because it had switched into PIO mode somehow.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-