• Start date
  • Views 16,056
  • Replies 92

FuManChuu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mmm, that's true: if we can update it with a disc, so could nintendo with a gamedisc... Would be anoying if every game we play could disable the chip
frown.gif

Yep, this worries me too. Although it might be a little more awkward to hook up, I would prefer some kind of external port accessible to update the chip, if it needed updating, rather than risking it via disc.

Maybe its just me... but I don't see big N putting software to flash modchips on retail discs.... I don't know, maybe thats just me

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
mmm, that's true: if we can update it with a disc, so could nintendo with a gamedisc... Would be anoying if every game we play could disable the chip
frown.gif

Yep, this worries me too. Although it might be a little more awkward to hook up, I would prefer some kind of external port accessible to update the chip, if it needed updating, rather than risking it via disc.

Maybe its just me... but I don't see big N putting software to flash modchips on retail discs.... I don't know, maybe thats just me

Maybe not, but the possibility is still there, and that's not really a risk that I would like to take.

Ideally I would want a chip that has a switch on it that you have to physically flip in order for any sort of update to take place, something like enable/disable stealth mode or something. Sure, it'd be a pain in the butt to have to open your Wii, flip the switch, do the update, open the Wii again, flip the switch and finally go back to playing, but it would be a safe way to ensure that the chip was only vulnerable when you want it to be.

How do upgradeable chips on other consoles work?

amrod

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
you can update the gamecube viper chip via dvd-rom, and nintendo never did any flashcard erase commands either so i'm not worried

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
*trashed post*
Gee!, I'm glad you showed up to bring some intellect to the discussion.
Nice first post, hope to see many more like it from you and other 1st time posters. It just makes the forum so much more useful to have quality posts like that...
dry.gif

OK, I'm done

fsimonp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i really think that this update feature never will take use of...
i also dont think that nintendo do anything to provide for copies, they never did...

elderdakkar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
why do u think so? updating a chip can be useful. as u live in a PAL region und will beg for a update enabling u to play ntsc games
smile.gif
so a chip with update capabilities makes sense for u.

dakky

elderdakkar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i think the wiikey is released by the xenoGC team. afaik they have a good reputation, so why do u think they won't update the chip? (i'm quite new to that nintendo/GC/scene thing so forgive my maybe noobish thoughts
wink.gif
)

dakky

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
One thing I haven't seen people talk about is this feature of the Wiikey:

# Boots different region GC games/backups

It doesn't mention using a swap disk. Did they just 'forget' to mention you'll need a swap disk or is this an advantage of the Wiikey over the Wiinja and CycloWiz?

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
One thing I haven't seen people talk about is this feature of the Wiikey:

# Boots different region GC games/backups

It doesn't mention using a swap disk. Did they just 'forget' to mention you'll need a swap disk or is this an advantage of the Wiikey over the Wiinja and CycloWiz?
That would be special, guess we can only hope.
Might have to wait until they have actually made a chip to take a picture of before we worry to much about the specs though.

jonm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
what do you guys think are the odds of an update being able to allow region free backups for PAL? I dont know much of how all this works, but I would have originally assumed that PAL Wiis were incapable of playing NTSC games at all as there was no need for them to allow any NTSC capabilites (eg. it's not like it's a DVD player) but if the NTSC GC backups work then it most be at least possible on the system... what do you guys think?

ssj4android

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, is there any way to edit the game region if you already have the GCN ISO as an image? If so, the chip might be able to do that on the fly.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
These chips don't do enough to patch anything on the fly. The just open the doors on the DVD drive, so to speak.

Most of us aren't really sure what good any updating capability on these cards can offer in terms of features. They're pretty much a one trick Nick.

WarmWoollySheep

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Gamefreax.DE claims that Wiikey works with all Wii models on the market, which I assume means d2b chips as well.

They changed all of their Cyclowiz orders to Wiikey:

http://www.gamefreax.de/cgi-bin/gamefreax/site.pl?page=news

QUOTE said:
Das große Wii-Modchip Debakel oder Cyclo-Wiz = Cyclo-Witz! WiiKey ist der Schlüssel zum Erfolg

Der Cyclo-Wiz läuft genau wie sein "Vorgänger" Wiinja nicht in Wii-Geräten mit GC2-D2B Chipsatz. Das halbherzig realisierte Updatefeature reisst das auch alles nicht raus. Aus diesem Grunde haben wir uns dafür entschieden, den Cyclo-Wiz nun gänzlich aus dem Sortiment zu entfernen. Wir legen Wert auf größtmögliche Kompatibilität, sowie Kompetenz der Modchiphersteller, deshalb gibt es hier auch keine Alternative sondern nur eine vernünftige Lösung und die trägt den Namen WiiKey! Der Wiikey läuft in allen bisher auf dem Markt befindlichen Wii Geräten und eines der Grundfeatures ist die Updatefähigkeit. Die vier zusätzlichen Drähte zur Quicksolder Verbindung weisen deutlich darauf hin, dass das WiiKey Team noch mehr im Petto hat und nicht nur der Freund der gepflegten Sicherheitskopie, sondern vieleicht auch der Importgamezocker seine wahre Freude an diesem Chip haben wird!? Who knows...

Voraussichltich ist der Wiikey ab Montag, dem 12.2.07 bei uns verfügbar, das bedeutet, dass am selben Tag auch die umgebauten Wii Geräte in den Versand gehen werden und Umbauten vorgenommen werden können.

WiiKey: 49,95 EUR [jetzt bestellen]
WiiKey Umbau: 89,95 EUR [jetzt bestellen]
Wii Konsole mit eingebautem WiiKey: 339,95 EUR [jetzt bestellen]

Alle Kundenbestellungen von Cyclo Wiz oder Cyclo-Wiz Umbau oder die umgebaute Wii mit Cyclo-Wiz, ändern wir in WiiKey Bestellungen um gewähren einen Frühbucher-Rabatt, so dass der Preis so bleibt, wie bestellt.

Babelfish translation:

QUOTEThe large Wii Modchip debacle or Cyclo Wiz = Cyclo joke! WiiKey is the key to success

The Cyclo Wiz does not run exactly like its "predecessor" Wiinja in Wii devices with GC2-D2B chip set. The halfheartedly realized update feature does not tear also all this raus. For this reason we decided to completely remove the Cyclo Wiz now from the assortment. We attach importance on greatest possible compatibility, as well as authority of the Modchiphersteller, therefore there is also no alternative separates only a reasonable solution here and carries the names WiiKey! The Wiikey runs in all so far on the market Wii present devices and one of the basic features is the update ability. The four additional wires to the Quicksolder connection point out clearly that the WiiKey team has still more in the Petto and not only the friend of the maintained backup copy, but much also the Importgamezocker its true joy in this chip will have!? Who knows...

Voraussichltich is the Wiikey starting from Monday, which 12.2.07 with us available, that means that on the same day also the converted Wii of devices will go into the dispatch and changes to be made to be able.

WiiKey: 49.95 EUR [order now]
WiiKey change: 89.95 EUR [order now]
Wii console with inserted WiiKey: 339.95 EUR [order now]

, we change all customer orderings of Cyclo Wiz or Cyclo Wiz change or the converted Wii with Cyclo Wiz in WiiKey orders over grant an early book he discount, so that the price remains in such a way, as orders.

They falsely assume that Wiinja runs fine on the D2B chip, which it doesn't, so you can take this Wiikey news with a grain of salt.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah but I'd tie him up in the females bathroom