Hacking WiiFlow - an open source GUI USB-Loader

DaveBlack

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i can see nintendont in homebrew section... but i would like to have it like on dios mios with wiiflow.... i want to see my game with a cover.... without going over nintendont...

flamepanther

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i can see nintendont in homebrew section... but i would like to have it like on dios mios with wiiflow.... i want to see my game with a cover.... without going over nintendont...
I would be very surprised if Wiiflow doesn't support Nintendont in the near future. However, it just came out (more recently than the latest Wiiflow), it's an alpha, and it only plays one game. In other words, I don't think it's time yet :)

painless

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New issue: Since I started my NAND emulation and copied all my VC+WiiWare roms to my usb hdd (to the nand... lower case.... directory off the root) none of my games... any... work anymore. Not my Wii games... not my NAND games.... not any games.

I am able to navigate around the WiiFlow gui though :) It looks impressive. Kind of like a nice sports car with a broken transmission... lol.

My Wii is on 4.1U
WiiFlow 4.2
Theme Black Carbonic
No SD card in slot
1.5gb WD HDD Fat32

Tried switching to default theme, got a stack dump with a reload period then got the stock theme.

After default theme loads, trying to load Wii game and get a black screen with a white status bar that stops at about 20%.

The disc drive led blinks for a fraction of a second repeatedly for 20 seconds then the game finally loads.

I have a TON of Wii games (Wife used to work for a game store) 520+ in all... is there a limit with WiiFlow?

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok so here is the kicker i just changed the file name on the rom and coverart to say instead of Mega Man 3.nes to Mega Man 3 (USA).nes and the game plays with the cover someone help me to understand why just a simple name change made the game play with the cover when it doesnt play with the name the other way

Very strange. I have had problems with regular Wii games loading from SD but this sounds different.

flamepanther

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New issue: Since I started my NAND emulation and copied all my VC+WiiWare roms to my usb hdd (to the nand... lower case.... directory off the root) none of my games... any... work anymore. Not my Wii games... not my NAND games.... not any games.

I am able to navigate around the WiiFlow gui though :) It looks impressive. Kind of like a nice sports car with a broken transmission... lol.

My Wii is on 4.1U
WiiFlow 4.2
Theme Black Carbonic
No SD card in slot
1.5gb WD HDD Fat32

Tried switching to default theme, got a stack dump with a reload period then got the stock theme.

After default theme loads, trying to load Wii game and get a black screen with a white status bar that stops at about 20%.

The disc drive led blinks for a fraction of a second repeatedly for 20 seconds then the game finally loads.

I have a TON of Wii games (Wife used to work for a game store) 520+ in all... is there a limit with WiiFlow?
I don't know what the limit is, if there is one. But I've noticed that having save emulation turned on can cause games to get "stuck" temporarily (up to 3 minutes, sometimes), while loading, or when the save menu first opens. It usually only happens for me the first time running a game. It seems to be related to having a huge emu NAND, and loading the system menu via the Neek2o channel seems to be the same way, so I sorta consider it my own fault rather than a Wiiflow issue.

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what the limit is, if there is one. But I've noticed that having save emulation turned on can cause games to get "stuck" temporarily (up to 3 minutes, sometimes), while loading, or when the save menu first opens. It usually only happens for me the first time running a game. It seems to be related to having a huge emu NAND, and loading the system menu via the Neek2o channel seems to be the same way, so I sorta consider it my own fault rather than a Wiiflow issue.

It's no ones fault. neek2o takes up to 3 min or less depending on the nand size an how much you have it tricked out.

painless

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
flamepanther: I should have a smaller nand and maybe I'll start deleting stuff. Thanks for the reply.

I experimented on another Wii with no nand emulation and it works very well so your response is highly logical. Cheers m8!

Etheboss: Thank you.

drh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,
I've been using WiiFlow for years but I don't update often to be honest.
The last time I updated WiiFlow, I had quite a bit of trouble getting it stable again.
Today, I thought I would give 4.2 a try and the same instability issues seem to be bugging me again.

I run a fairly basic system (I'm not interested in all the legacy console emulation etc.) with just Wii wbfs files on a NTFS partition with WiiFlow on a DOS partition.

The last time I updated, I had to painfully re-do all my categories again to v4.
Today, I duplicated my "/apps/wiiflow" and "/wiiflow" folders for backup purposes and proceeded to copy over the new 4.2 files.
I tried to retain my categoriesv4 file because I really dont want to re-do those again.

The 4.2 Wiiflow works ok in that I can scroll several times and pick a game to load, but if I try and scroll 10+ times, I get a stack dump.
If I put the older WiiFlow back into play by renaming the directories back, I can scroll to my hearts content at full speed and its rock solid.

Also, trying to keep my categoriesv4 didn't work with 4.2, I just ended up with a default set with nothing organised :-(

I'm only really interested in things like ftp in the 4.2, but its too unusable for me use at the moment, I can't really see how there could be anything wrong with my setup / configuration when the older WiiFlow is fine but I'd appreciate it if anyone has any idea's on how I can get 4.2 to stop crashing.

Thanks.

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone else having trouble with categories? I looked at the ini and the information seems to be there, but when looking at the category screen, it's as if I have a stock ini.

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
drh I don't know if Maxternal has updated his category converter app but u might want to look into that for a quick and easy conversion, IIRC there were some slight changes made to category_v4.ini that might need to be updated on yours to be compatible with latest WiiFlow. Fledge68 is the man when it comes to that, give him a shot out or post your ini here so it can be reviewed.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
drh I don't know if Maxternal has updated his category converter app but u might want to look into that for a quick and easy conversion, IIRC there were some slight changes made to category_v4.ini that might need to be updated on yours to be compatible with latest WiiFlow. Fledge68 is the man when it comes to that, give him a shot out or post your ini here so it can be reviewed.
Yeah, it's not updated for the latest version. I'll have to move that nearer the top of my to-do list.

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
I've been using WiiFlow for years but I don't update often to be honest.
The last time I updated WiiFlow, I had quite a bit of trouble getting it stable again.
Today, I thought I would give 4.2 a try and the same instability issues seem to be bugging me again.

I run a fairly basic system (I'm not interested in all the legacy console emulation etc.) with just Wii wbfs files on a NTFS partition with WiiFlow on a DOS partition.

The last time I updated, I had to painfully re-do all my categories again to v4.
Today, I duplicated my "/apps/wiiflow" and "/wiiflow" folders for backup purposes and proceeded to copy over the new 4.2 files.
I tried to retain my categoriesv4 file because I really dont want to re-do those again.

The 4.2 Wiiflow works ok in that I can scroll several times and pick a game to load, but if I try and scroll 10+ times, I get a stack dump.
If I put the older WiiFlow back into play by renaming the directories back, I can scroll to my hearts content at full speed and its rock solid.

Also, trying to keep my categoriesv4 didn't work with 4.2, I just ended up with a default set with nothing organised :-(

I'm only really interested in things like ftp in the 4.2, but its too unusable for me use at the moment, I can't really see how there could be anything wrong with my setup / configuration when the older WiiFlow is fine but I'd appreciate it if anyone has any idea's on how I can get 4.2 to stop crashing.

Thanks.
I'll never understand why people have such poor results when they update wiiflow. as for cat v4 ini. I created a modified version of wiiflow into an app to convert category_v4.ini to work with wiiflow 4.1 I don't have source code anymore but I believe you just put this boot.dol in place of your wiiflow boot.dol and run wiiflow which is really this converter. I don't remember but i think it creates a new categories.ini that you just have to rename to categories_v4.ini.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/oxx3a044vqbj4rd/cat4to4.1.rar

Here's the categories.ini changes that were made back wiiflow in 4.02 -
changed categories_v4.ini one last time, replacing strings of 0's and 1's with ASCII characters 33 on up. So if you have a game in category 1 and you have 20 categories, instead of a long number all you will see is ! which is way shorter and will take wiiflow much less time to read. Also if a game isn't in any category there will be nothing after the =. This should speed up wiiflow when you use categories

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll never understand why people have such poor results when they update wiiflow. as for cat v4 ini. I created a modified version of wiiflow into an app to convert category_v4.ini to work with wiiflow 4.1 I don't have source code anymore but I believe you just put this boot.dol in place of your wiiflow boot.dol and run wiiflow which is really this converter. I don't remember but i think it creates a new categories.ini that you just have to rename to categories_v4.ini.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/oxx3a044vqbj4rd/cat4to4.1.rar

Here's the categories.ini changes that were made back wiiflow in 4.02 -
changed categories_v4.ini one last time, replacing strings of 0's and 1's with ASCII characters 33 on up. So if you have a game in category 1 and you have 20 categories, instead of a long number all you will see is ! which is way shorter and will take wiiflow much less time to read. Also if a game isn't in any category there will be nothing after the =. This should speed up wiiflow when you use categories
Yeah, that didn't work... Here's my ini

Attachments

• categories_v4.zip
    9.5 KB · Views: 198

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, that didn't work... Here's my ini
sorry man but you have an old categories ini. you should have only one general section like this.

[GENERAL]
cat1=Category 1
cat2=Category 2
cat3=Category 3
cat4=Category 4
cat5=Category 5
category_on_start=no
hidden_categories=
numcategories=6
required_categories=
selected_categories=

all your other general sections need to be combined into this one general section which means all your categories for each game will have to be redone. sorry don't understand why your categories_v4.ini would still look like this after all this time - I changed this a long time ago.

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry man but you have an old categories ini. you should have only one general section like this.

[GENERAL]
cat1=Category 1
cat2=Category 2
cat3=Category 3
cat4=Category 4
cat5=Category 5
category_on_start=no
hidden_categories=
numcategories=6
required_categories=
selected_categories=

all your other general sections need to be combined into this one general section which means all your categories for each game will have to be redone. sorry don't understand why your categories_v4.ini would still look like this after all this time - I changed this a long time ago.
I dunno. Really weird. I worked fine before 4.2.0/1. I thought it was a phuck up on my end at first when I had to redo my sd card, but...I dunno.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lesbians invented babies +2