United States

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Hope you don't mind me jumping in to your conversation but I had a question or two for this setup. Since the Wii boots out of the neek environment, does that mean that anythng referring to the NAND is really the neek? Savegames etc would be in the neek (not sure if that's the right term but I hope you understand what I'm saying), when switching through things in Wiiflow, games/channels/etc under NAND (NAND) would really be neek?

Also, if I update my cIOS, would I need to redo this or would I install the cIOS in the neek environment? I will go through the neek thread(s) a bit more closely, but I was hoping these answers would determine if I should look closer to this setup. Thanks!

With the other part, though, I'm not so sure if it would actually load IOS's from real or emulated NAND. I'm actually not even sure if WiiFlow in NEEK mode actually does/can run off a cIOS or if it has to run under a normal IOS. I really need to look into that part, too, myself.
Yes, this is true as long as you run neek2o FIRST and then run WiiFlow WHILE neek2o is open. In that case all emu NAND stuff will be shown as real NAND.
I don't know how hard it would be to change but I love this idea. Waiting a second or likely less between switching coverflows is a small price to pay for stability.
One of the first things, though, for something like that would be cleaning up memory properly when changing themes since it also includes code to load and unload coverflows from memory and I'd assume the process is at least somewhat similar and might crash it like theme changing does without a little tweaking. I wouldn't think that the number of coverflows would take up THAT much space compared to all the images that are also loaded with a theme but I could be wrong. I'm sure things like converting the background to a JPG would do more than a list of cover dimensions and positions, as I would guess, anyway.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So the breaking point appears to be between 75 and 100. That is much smaller than I thought and I think this will affect a lot of people.

Probably either need to remove support for 3-up coverflows or figure out how to resolve this issue.
I have 75 wii games so thats not really surprising that I cant reproduce the issue :P I'll try some empty games just to see on which point I get this problem and how to easly solve it then, thanks for testing.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I changed quite alot now on that banner sound code, here is a new test rev:
http://www.mediafire...pffakp98pdwet9w
I know it codedumps on gamecube sounds currently, working on it. Please see if wii and channel banners play fine, all audio crackling is gone and if all codedumps are gone with coverflow set to 3 rows or more.
edit:
And next test dol, gamecube should work again:
http://www.mediafire.com/?l5khppencw44oy9

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I changed quite alot now on that banner sound code, here is a new test rev:
http://www.mediafire...pffakp98pdwet9w
I know it codedumps on gamecube sounds currently, working on it. Please see if wii and channel banners play fine, all audio crackling is gone and if all codedumps are gone with coverflow set to 3 rows or more.
edit:
And next test dol, gamecube should work again:
http://www.mediafire...l5khppencw44oy9
Yeah, it doesn't code dump on my giant collection.

But the banners displayed in 3-up mode are jumbled:

When I select 1-up mode the banners look fine:

Here are a couple more odd ones in 3-up mode:

Edit - using the test3 ones the graphic corruption on the banner displays in 3-up mode isn't nearly as bad. It was very consistent with test2 but test3 every 3rd or 4th image is corrupted when I scroll through the banners after selecting from 3-up mode.

After playing with it a while the banners and sounds no longer come up and i gets real slow - coverflow is working like 1/10th speed. Hasn't code dumped yet but it feels like it's going to soon :(

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hope you don't mind me jumping in to your conversation but I had a question or two for this setup. Since the Wii boots out of the neek environment, does that mean that anythng referring to the NAND is really the neek? Savegames etc would be in the neek (not sure if that's the right term but I hope you understand what I'm saying), when switching through things in Wiiflow, games/channels/etc under NAND (NAND) would really be neek?

Also, if I update my cIOS, would I need to redo this or would I install the cIOS in the neek environment? I will go through the neek thread(s) a bit more closely, but I was hoping these answers would determine if I should look closer to this setup. Thanks!

With the other part, though, I'm not so sure if it would actually load IOS's from real or emulated NAND. I'm actually not even sure if WiiFlow in NEEK mode actually does/can run off a cIOS or if it has to run under a normal IOS. I really need to look into that part, too, myself.
Yes, this is true as long as you run neek2o FIRST and then run WiiFlow WHILE neek2o is open. In that case all emu NAND stuff will be shown as real NAND.
I don't know how hard it would be to change but I love this idea. Waiting a second or likely less between switching coverflows is a small price to pay for stability.
One of the first things, though, for something like that would be cleaning up memory properly when changing themes since it also includes code to load and unload coverflows from memory and I'd assume the process is at least somewhat similar and might crash it like theme changing does without a little tweaking. I wouldn't think that the number of coverflows would take up THAT much space compared to all the images that are also loaded with a theme but I could be wrong. I'm sure things like converting the background to a JPG would do more than a list of cover dimensions and positions, as I would guess, anyway.
I guess I don't understand the change from PNG to JPG. What are the benefits? If the images are cached in the native format that makes it quick to load/display on the Wii how does the source image format matter?

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And another test dol:
http://www.mediafire...4v58gm5x43taxvt
Found some unneeded work in the code ;)
Test4 dol looks better, it's no longer slowing down after using it for a bit.

But every 4th or 5th image is still messed up. I don't think the corruption is as bad as before...nuts - got a code dump but wasn't fast enought to take a pic. Will try and replicate the code dump.

Edit:

Just need to scroll through for a bit (in 3-up mode) and it code dumps:

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
10-15 seconds it hung up, no cursor movement. Then it came back and I was able to move to another image.
Wow hehe. I was just reading through some old things about memory allocation and libwbfs and was finding something which may helps us to finally get rid of this problem, next test dol:
http://www.mediafire.com/?lnzlbb3s01ot6q1

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
10-15 seconds it hung up, no cursor movement. Then it came back and I was able to move to another image.
Wow hehe. I was just reading through some old things about memory allocation and libwbfs and was finding something which may helps us to finally get rid of this problem, next test dol:
http://www.mediafire...lnzlbb3s01ot6q1
Still getting banner graphic corruption in 3-up mode. Corruption looks a little different but I may be imagining it:

And then a code dump:

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is 100% a memory issue, with 15000 wii games I was now able to reproduce the issue, I hope I can fix it.
15000!!! I bow down to your collection.

I have to run some errands but will be available today for any more testing.

I know you can fix it :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, but still, if I knew was gonna be that much, would have made myself. But it does look nice with name on it and all that jazz. Mine would of been plain, with hard candy sprinkles.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea we shop/ like Costco also, should of went there instead.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, We do have Costco's in the UK, but only in some areas.
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    the bakery section smells good, but I wish the ingredients list on their items were simpler
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @SylverReZ costco in the UK is only available to certain people, not everyone is eligible

- in the USA anyone is able to buy the membership
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its nice if you can afford, and have space at home, to buy in large quantities. We most!y buy TP, paper towels, that kind of stuff there
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    We're planning on getting membership cards.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I miss our dillions which was a Kroger subsidiary got turned into a juvie court house or something
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, TP? I need TP for my bunghole.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What kind of dictatorship says you can't shop at a grocery store lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I watched them last night, stupid, but still Funny after all these years.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tbf like bigonya said costs only worth it if you got a big family otherwise you're Walmart bitch
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Its as if Costco only rules on communism.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or for like big cookouts, parties, etc they good to shop, but yea if only one or two in house, Wal-Mart it is. But membership is only like $60 a year so cheap really considering.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wonder if Costco cards are global like if you go to another country and can still use it there
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Who needs a passport I got my costco port
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ask yo boyfriend Juan.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's. A Mexico port and I don't want to shop in Mexico
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You don't like donkey hot dogs?
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    What is Costco?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wholesale grocery store. Everything is in like 64 packs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ramen bowels are better than ramen cups
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Are those like big sized ramen? Do they look like a
    bowel?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has better girth
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Has better girth