Wii U, Vita don't interest Japanese gamers

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Guild McCommunist, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    [​IMG]

Japanese research group Goo Research has found a surprising statistic: roughly only 10% of Japanese gamers would buy a Wii U or Playstation Vita.

A survey of over 1,000 people in Japan between October 17th and October 19th found, for the Wii U, that only 9.4% of them would buy it. 36.1% said they were interested in the console but wouldn't buy it, and the majority, 54.5%, said they had no interest in it.

On the other side, the PSP successor suffered similar stats. Only 10.2% of those surveyed said they would buy it. 35.2% said they had interest in it but wouldn't purchase it, and the majority, again 54.5%, said they had no interest in the system.

The survey group is rather diverse, reflecting different experiences from all gaming sectors. 53% of those surveyed were male, and 694 out of the 1,083 people had at least one gaming system. Ages ranged from teens to fifties or older. 62% of them owned a Nintendo DS. Others owned a Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Wii, and PSP.

Do you think this survey is accurate for how both systems will fare in Japan? The Playstation Vita launches next month in Japan and for the rest of the world in February, while the Wii U is still aiming for 2012, although reports say it will be after E3 2012 (which occurs in late May to early June).

[​IMG] Source

2. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Only reaction possible: wat

2 people like this.
  3. Erdnaxela

Member Erdnaxela GBAtemp Fan

France
    For Wii U, it's normal, we don't know much thing but vita?
    I guess we'll have the answer in some weeks.

4. qlum

Member qlum Posting when needed

Netherlands
    Interest or not in these devices comes when the consoles get released/hyped for release. While the Vita is quite close to release it doesn't do anything revolutionary new it just improves on the old, maybe ones some good games get released or if the friends of the people interviewed get the vita they may get more interested. On the matter of the wii u its still to far of for people to form a real opinion about it.

5. xxNathanxx

Member xxNathanxx GBAtemp Regular

Tonga
    Let's just wait until the actual release date and see how many get sold on that day, hmm?

6. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Wait, wasn't there like a lot of per-orders for this thing?
    The wii u (like others are saying) is barely known.

7. Narayan

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    maybe the others are gonna steal them...

8. hakujintanuki

Member hakujintanuki GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    In Japan, most of the hardware sales only happen once a game that people specifically want is released. Mario, Zelda, Monster Hunter, DQ, FF, Pokemon, etc etc etc.

The people that want a game will buy a system when that game is released.

Examples: Every console in recent history.

9. DarkLG

Member DarkLG Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!

United States
    Numbers like these really don't mean much.Hald those people probably have life's so they don't care much for consoles lol

10. TheFireRed

Newcomer TheFireRed Member

Spain
    We'll have to wait and see if those figures correspond with the sales.

11. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Survey would probably be much different if done on 2ch or 2chan.

2 people like this.
  12. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    Look at this. Will these games even appeal to Japanese gamers?

I'm not surprised that the Wii U isn't making much appeal in Japan.

As for Vita, I'm quite surprised. A lot of info has been out, MHP3rd is polished to Vita-like quality. Still it's just a poll... who knows what the true reactions are.

13. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    come on, even I'm excited for the Vita.

14. Kayot

Member Kayot GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm only interested in the Wii U for it's HD support. Even then I emulate Wii games on my PC at 1080p with the advantage of Save State. I own a Wii, but it just collects dust these days. I own a PSP too, but I use it for SNES more than PSP games. I play my PS1/N64 games on my phone with a Wii mote from the system I barely play anymore. I'm considering moving my SNES emu to my phone as well once I get the classic controller.

Over all, after the whole Sony sueing everyone that so much as whispered the words hack and PS3 in the same sentence and Nintendo's crackdown on DS carts when they should be protecting the 3DS instead has really disillusioned me. The sad part is that I finally managed to score a career that would let me buy the stuff I used to pirate. I lost interested in the new stuff and I've been buying my backlog of games I cared about off of Amazon. I'm still on the fence for the 3DS. I probably wont get a Vita or a Wii U. I really wish developers would start putting more games on my PC rather than simply updating my console every five or so years. Updating a PC makes sense, a console? Not really.

P.S. Skyrim in four days, Skyward Sword in ten! This is going to be a hell of a month.

15. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    I'm not buying the study. 1000 people is not a large control group, plus neither of the consoles is out yet. In fact, the WiiU isn't even marketed yet. The study should be performed days before the launch dates rather than early on like this - it's simply not accurate enough.

16. gameandmatch

Member gameandmatch GBAtemp Fan

United States
    So there are others like me except a little different: interested but won't buy till a few games come out for each that I am interested in.

17. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    I'm confused/have a issue on a lot of what you posted, but that last sentence sticks out.
    Why doesn't it make any sense?

18. Langin

Member Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Netherlands
    Ninja Gaiden 3? Zelda?

Err wut?

TEKKEN :D

These games are played well by Japanese people.

I find this test a bit unreliable, because 1000 of how many people there live in Japan?

19. Kayot

Member Kayot GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I was basically saying that with everything on the market, it's saturated. The newer systems just seem like revisions. The last sentence is because I'm excited about Friday.

20. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Except they have more functions, graphical power, features, and games. So they're not revisions at all or even resemble them.