Hardware Wii U transfer question: Specific games only?

CompC

OP
Trophies
Website
josh.birnholz.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm assuming that in Wii mode, you can transfer Wii save data as you normally would for saves between Wiis.

I want to transfer the save data for certain games only, but some of the games' save files are locked.

My main problem is Smash Bros. I want to transfer MOST of my save games from my Wii to my Wii U, but I want to keep some games, like Smash Bros., and N64 VC games on the regular Wii because I'll be able to use a GameCube controller.

Is there some way I can keep non-copyable save files on my Wii after a system transfer? Or to only copy selected save games (that are normally non-copyable) to a Wii U?

My Wii is modded, so I can run homebrew on it. (I preordered my Wii U, it should be delivered tomorrow.)

EDIT: I just read that you can do a full NAND backup, do the system transfer, and then restore the backup on the original Wii to make it like the transfer never happened. I've never done anything like this and it would solve my problem. Can someone tell me how to do this?

EDIT: So I figured out how to make a NAND backup using BootMii. Do I just do the same thing except choose the restore option after I do a system transfer? Also there were a couple of Bad Blocks, is that okay?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Bad blocks are common and are nothing to worry about.
However if you don't have bootmii as boot2 I would advise against doing a restore as you have no failsafe in case something goes wrong which means your Wii would be irrepairably bricked.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could just backup the saves you want to an SD card and then copy them back over after the transfer, and reinstall WADs for the VC you want. Would be a lot easier if there's not a lot of stuff.

CompC

OP
Trophies
Website
josh.birnholz.com
XP
Country
United States
You could just backup the saves you want to an SD card and then copy them back over after the transfer, and reinstall WADs for the VC you want. Would be a lot easier if there's not a lot of stuff.
Yeah, but some games don't let you copy thee saves to an SD card. Brawl, I think Mario Kart, and a lot of others do this. They ARE apparently copied by a Wii U System Transfer, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, @K3Nv2 https://youtu.be/_b_WmfLhnMM?si=1GZF2ULEvDAH418O +1