Hacking Wii U Tranfer from Hacked Wii

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
So I'm currently thinking about transferring over all my Wii content to my Wii U's vWii using the Nintendo tool. Here's what my plan is:

1. Make a NAND backup at its current state, incase anything backfires, and put the said backup, as well as all SD data, on my laptop, for safekeeping.
2. Insert the wiped Memory Card back into the Wii, and proceed to do the system transfer.
3. Once the transfer is finished, reflash the old NAND back onto the console using BootMii (Which I've never done before, and I'm kinda nervous to try this) and restore all my content.

Is this all feasible, and if so, is there any precautions I should take before doing any of this? I have the transfer tool on my Wii, as well as the vWii, so it's all ready to go.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm currently thinking about transferring over all my Wii content to my Wii U's vWii using the Nintendo tool. Here's what my plan is:

1. Make a NAND backup at its current state, incase anything backfires, and put the said backup, as well as all SD data, on my laptop, for safekeeping.
2. Insert the wiped Memory Card back into the Wii, and proceed to do the system transfer.
3. Once the transfer is finished, reflash the old NAND back onto the console using BootMii (Which I've never done before, and I'm kinda nervous to try this) and restore all my content.

Is this all feasible, and if so, is there any precautions I should take before doing any of this? I have the transfer tool on my Wii, as well as the vWii, so it's all ready to go.

first, check that you got bootmii as boot2. that is the optimal setup as you can backup and restore the NAND even after a full brick.
you can try restoring the NAND with a bootmii IOS setup but I do not know how well it works or how safe it is.

one precaution to take is to move the shop channel to the last page of the Wii Menu so after the transfer, you do not launch it. If it's launched after the transfer, it will remove any games from the Wii that were transferred to the Wii U.
this happened to me and I had to restore my NAND backup again to restore the games.

------ I did this post NAND backup and transfer
since I had no use for the shop channel as it removes the games, I actually uninstalled the shop channel via Anytitle Deleter so there would be no chance in the future of me accidentally clicking on it. if you are not comfortable with doing this, just move the shop channel to the last page.

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
first, check that you got bootmii as boot2. that is the optimal setup as you can backup and restore the NAND even after a full brick.
you can try restoring the NAND with a bootmii IOS setup but I do not know how well it works or how safe it is.

one precaution to take is to move the shop channel to the last page of the Wii Menu so after the transfer, you do not launch it. If it's launched after the transfer, it will remove any games from the Wii that were transferred to the Wii U.
this happened to me and I had to restore my NAND backup again to restore the games.

------ I did this post NAND backup and transfer
since I had no use for the shop channel as it removes the games, I actually uninstalled the shop channel via Anytitle Deleter so there would be no chance in the future of me accidentally clicking on it. if you are not comfortable with doing this, just move the shop channel to the last page.

Alright, I'll keep that all in mind. What was the method for checking if it's installed as boot2? I know there was a way, but I cannot remember.

As for the Wii Shop, I'll grab AnyTitle Deleter, and after I restore my NAND, I'll remove the Shop Channel. It's not like I use it anyway lol.

ozl

Wii4everybody
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
wii4everybody.com
XP
Country
Mexico
I did this and by the time it said the copy was done and i knew the next part was that it would erase all my saves and games from the console i unplugged it (yes i know) and then i did my copy successfully to the WiiU vWii and i still have everything on my Wii including saves and all working fine with no pikmin harmed in the process...

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
I did this and by the time it said the copy was done and i knew the next part was that it would erase all my saves and games from the console i unplugged it (yes i know) and then i did my copy successfully to the WiiU vWii and i still have everything on my Wii including saves and all working fine with no pikmin harmed in the process...

I don't really see this as much of a viable idea. If I were to unplug it at the wrong time, I could nuke it. I'd rather have it wipe the console, and have me restore it manually via a reflash of the NAND rather than make a nice paperweight of it.

ozl

Wii4everybody
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
wii4everybody.com
XP
Country
Mexico
I don't really see this as much of a viable idea. If I were to unplug it at the wrong time, I could nuke it. I'd rather have it wipe the console, and have me restore it manually via a reflash of the NAND rather than make a nice paperweight of it.
yes iknow ijust saw that the backup was already on my sd card and i really didnt care if i bricked my wii... but it worked just do it after copy is done

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

I used a different SD card for the system transfer but yes that's the gist of it. No worries about restoring NAND as long as you have BootMii boot2, as boot2 will not be touched by the NAND restore. The easiest way to check is to move the bootmii folder off the SD card if there is one, and see if the drive LED flashes twice on boot, signifying a BootMii install.

However one very important thing to note: The Wii U failed to transfer a TON of my saves. That NAND backup saved my ass. If you like, you could batch backup every save file from your Wii, and then batch restore onto your Wii U afterwards just to make sure everything's there (or keep the save backup handy on your SD in case you ever need any of the saves, which is what I did as it was already too late to restore everything in fear of overwriting the progress I've made since)

This might've been because they had the nocopy flag on them, or it might be for an entirely different reason, but whatever the reason is, you can't trust saves that have been backed up from the Wii Settings on your Wii, as the Priiloader "Remove NoCopy Flag" patch won't do you any good when you try to restore the saves on your Wii U, so Savegame Manager GX is recommended.

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
I used a different SD card for the system transfer but yes that's the gist of it. No worries about restoring NAND as long as you have BootMii boot2, as boot2 will not be touched by the NAND restore. The easiest way to check is to move the bootmii folder off the SD card if there is one, and see if the drive LED flashes twice on boot, signifying a BootMii install.

However one very important thing to note: The Wii U failed to transfer a TON of my saves. That NAND backup saved my ass. If you like, you could batch backup every save file from your Wii, and then batch restore onto your Wii U afterwards just to make sure everything's there (or keep the save backup handy on your SD in case you ever need any of the saves, which is what I did as it was already too late to restore everything in fear of overwriting the progress I've made since)

This might've been because they had the nocopy flag on them, or it might be for an entirely different reason, but whatever the reason is, you can't trust saves that have been backed up from the Wii Settings on your Wii, as the Priiloader "Remove NoCopy Flag" patch won't do you any good when you try to restore the saves on your Wii U, so Savegame Manager GX is recommended.

So if I use Savegame Manager GX to copy to my SD card, the Wii U will import them fine then, even the games with online data? Groovy. Thing is, I'd like to transfer my Miis over, but I haven't jailbroken my vWii, nor do I have any compatible software to do so.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So if I use Savegame Manager GX to copy to my SD card, the Wii U will import them fine then, even the games with online data? Groovy. Thing is, I'd like to transfer my Miis over, but I haven't jailbroken my vWii, nor do I have any compatible software to do so.
Jailbroken, lol.
The Lego games tend to be cheap both new and used so you can probably pick one up for cheap. You can still do the system transfer to get all your Miis and other stuff over, just have a Savegame Manager GX backup handy in case there are save files that aren't copied over.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jailbroken, lol.
The Lego games tend to be cheap both new and used so you can probably pick one up for cheap. You can still do the system transfer to get all your Miis and other stuff over, just have a Savegame Manager GX backup handy in case there are save files that aren't copied over.

Almost forgot about Savegame Manager GX, because I forgot my SSBB, etc saves are on my Wii U and not my Wii anymore :P

Edit: Maybe they're still on the Wii, I don't think those transfer over.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Almost forgot about Savegame Manager GX, because I forgot my SSBB, etc saves are on my Wii U and not my Wii anymore :P

Edit: Maybe they're still on the Wii, I don't think those transfer over.
Yeah SSBB was one of the games that the save didn't transfer over for for me. I'm not sure why though. It's supposed to transfer everything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1