Wii U that had been unused for a long time refuses to turn on a couple hours after hacking

GaboScharff99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
So, my Wii U had been sitting unused in my living room for a pretty long time because both the GamePad's battery and charger were dead. That said, yesterday, I got replacements for both, and tested them, and they worked fine. Also, since I recently hacked my 3DS to great results, I decided to do the same for my Wii U. I installed Tiramisu and Aroma, and also hacked the vWii, following the guide on wiiu (dot) hacks (dot) guide. Everything seemed to be working fine. However, I only messed around with the hack for a short while, and didn't do anything major with it, before turning the console off and going off to do something else.

A few hours later, I came back to the living room and noticed that the Wii U's power LED was blinking red and that the disc LED was off despite there being a disc inside. I tried turning the console on, and it refused to boot up. The console did not feel hot, however, so I doubt it overheated. Someone suggested that I should unplug it for 10 minutes and try again. I did that, and the LEDs went back to normal after I plugged it, but then, when I tried turning it on, it didn't boot up, and the LEDs began doing the same thing again. It was late at night, so I decided to leave the Wii U unplugged overnight and check it again in the morning. So I did that, and nothing changed.

I've tried cleaning the vents, unplugging all the non-essentials, and even moving the AC adapter around and plugging it somewhere else, and nothing has worked. Someone told me that this most definitely had nothing to do with the hack, but considering the timing, I'm not so sure, especially considering that it did not give me any issues while I was hacking it, as well as immediately afterwards, despite having to turn it off and back on several times duing the process. Someone also suggested that the ribbon cable for the disc drive might be plugged wrong, but this console has never been opened, so I doubt that's the issue. Does anyone know what the problem might be, and how to fix it?

Ysecond

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Unfortunately, if you have a blinking red light, I think you may need to say goodbye to it. The blinking red light I believe is a circuit fault, possibly a failed capacitor, resistor, or moset, IC...
Once, there was a blinking red light on my WIIU, and I discovered that it was the CPU power supply. Due to water ingress and corrosion, I cleared the corruption, reconnected it with wires, successfully fixing it. But this is only the easiest situation to fixing.
I hope I'm wrong. Good luck to you

GaboScharff99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Unfortunately, if you have a blinking red light, I think you may need to say goodbye to it. The blinking red light I believe is a circuit fault, possibly a failed capacitor, resistor, or moset, IC...
Once, there was a blinking red light on my WIIU, and I discovered that it was the CPU power supply. Due to water ingress and corrosion, I cleared the corruption, reconnected it with wires, successfully fixing it. But this is only the easiest situation to fixing.
This actually isn't the first time my Wii U has done this, but the previous times, it was because it overheated. I simply unplugged it for a while and that fixed it. This time, though, I'm fairly convinced that's not the problem, because the same fixes that worked back then did not work this time.

This really sounds like overheating. Does the fan even spin? Is there any dust inside?
There was a bit of dust (and there still is, actually), but I cleaned it as best I could and still nothing. Still, as I said, the console did not feel hot, and leaving it unplugged for a while, like I have the previous times it did overheat, did not fix the issue. I guess I could try cleaning it up more, and that would probably help just in general, but I doubt it'll fix this specific issue. The fan doesn't turn on right now, but that's because the console isn't even booting in the first place. I'm not sure if it did turn on when it was booting up, but I'm pretty sure it did.

To respond to both of you, someone else is suggesting that the power source may be dying. Not sure if there are other possibiities or if that's even replaceable.

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If the LED instantly begins blinking red, it's not an eMMC fault. At that point the eMMC doesn't get accessed. A dead eMMC could cause a static blue LED or Error Codes (but there are also other problems, which could cause a static blue led)

Red blinking suggests something wrong the power for the Latte afaik.
This time, though, I'm fairly convinced that's not the problem, because the same fixes that worked back then did not work this time.
Why? Maybe your VRM was already on the way out or was constantly overheating reducing it's lifespan and now it failed completely.

I would suggest opening up the Wii U and check the the power supply section of the Latte and the PPC for something obvious (smell, melteded package, burn marks...)
If you look from the front of the Wii U, the relevant section is right of the heatsink

GaboScharff99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
If the LED instantly begins blinking red, it's not an eMMC fault. At that point the eMMC doesn't get accessed. A dead eMMC could cause a static blue LED or Error Codes (but there are also other problems, which could cause a static blue led)

Red blinking suggests something wrong the power for the Latte afaik.

Why? Maybe your VRM was already on the way out or was constantly overheating reducing it's lifespan and now it failed completely.

I would suggest opening up the Wii U and check the the power supply section of the Latte and the PPC for something obvious (smell, melteded package, burn marks...)
If you look from the front of the Wii U, the relevant section is right of the heatsink
One small correction to make is that it wasn't overheating constantly. It just did so like once or twice over the many years I've had it.

Still, it does seem like I'll have to open the Wii U to even see what is wrong this time... Seems like I'll have to go to the hardware store and get a tri-wing screwdriver. I just hope I don't break it even more. Last time I opened an electronic device (a desktop computer that time) to clean it on the inside, the thing never turned back on.

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just be carful to not damage the cable or connector of the disc drive or frontpanel. You have to turn the disc drive to the right side, as the cable is connected from below. So you don't want to pull on it.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A blinking red light can simply mean that it's overheating. In my experience cleaning out the vents can remedy this issue. Though OP did say they've tried that to no avail, but the blinking red light on the Wii U is not an automatic end to the system at all.

Ysecond

Trophies
XP
Country
China
but the blinking red light on the Wii U is not an automatic end to the system at all.
Fully agree.
But OP tried in the morning, and nothing changed,So I came to this conclusion..
Of course, circuit faults can also be fixing. But considering the price of the console, may be buy a new one is better. In my region, each console costs only $20,
Perhaps I was too eager to draw a conclusion,Let's wait for new information :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol