Wii U Native SNES Emulator?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by bbking67, Nov 4, 2017.

1. justinjustins

justinjustins Member

Newcomer
    Nov 13, 2017
    Australia
    THIS is all that setup stuff I was talking about that makes retroarch so cumbersome and bad for the average user.

also, i think your white menu system is possibly because you have to download the "assets" package separately (because, of course you do ???). Look at the setting up xmb thingy here https://gbatemp.net/threads/retroarch-wiiu-wip.447670/

2. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    People sure like bashing RetroArch for being "too complicated". Then don't use it.

3. justinjustins

justinjustins Member

Newcomer
    Nov 13, 2017
    Australia
    that's exactly the problem. lots of people won't use it

4. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Not many other choices for Wii U, no one's interested in developing standalone Snes emulators for Wii U. RA's "difficulty" is overblown, no wonder the devs are wary.

5. bbking67
    OP

bbking67 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 9, 2003
    Canada
    I downloaded the assets file with no success. also downloaded using the online updater... I think my install is not good.

6. justinjustins

justinjustins Member

Newcomer
    Nov 13, 2017
    Australia
    just start again. remove the existing one from your sd card and grab a stable version http://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/1.6.7/nintendo/wiiu/RetroArch.7z and then put the contents of the "retroarch-assets-master" folder from the assets zip into sd:/retroarch/media and go from there.

7. ploggy

ploggy WAKA! WAKA!

Aug 29, 2007
    United Kingdom
    If your having the issues with the XMB gui just follow this:

If you get a white screen when you start RetroArch, you're missing the assets package. If you can navigate the white menus, go to "Online Updater" and select "Download Assets". Otherwise, download the assets and extract it to sd:/retroarch/media. The next time you open RetroArch, all should be well.

8. boxer29

boxer29 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2014
    im also struggling to install retroarch of wii u haxchi and CBHC .
    i have tried the RPX version but it shows black screen when i run retro arch i have gone by the steps in the tutorial here .
    the link which you have give is for the .elf version as all the files are in .elf
    i cants seem to find any media folder on the download files after extraction .
    can you point me in the right direction
    thanks

9. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I'll be waiting until snes9x Vwii get gamepad support. *Cross fingers* :ninja:

10. SG854

SG854 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 17, 2017
    Taiwan
    Hello. Try using the latest nightly for Retroarch. Crashes have been eliminated in the latest nightly. Go to latest Wii U builds and download the most recent date.
    RPX is the best one to use. And also install the retroarch channel. Its should be in the basics section. Along with instructions on how to install. Its all in the hyperlink I gave.

Last edited by SG854, Dec 3, 2017
  11. boxer29

boxer29 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2014
    i did manage to load the retroarch channel plus the assets into the meida folder ,,its working and the background colour is now red .
    2)downloaded a ROM GBA onot the retroarch folder on the sd\retroarch \Nintendo - Game Boy Advance
    the GBA rom loads
    3)i need to load now a game called pooyan which is a NES game it in the sd\retroarch \Nintendo - Nintendo Entertainment System .After loading the nes core (nestopia) it shows the game on \ sd card but it wont run
    3)which core do i have to run there are 5 cores but they are for snex 9x2002 ,snex 9x2005 _plus
    should i use these to pay the nes game ,,which core should i use .
    thanks

12. boxer29

boxer29 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2014
    Is there a way to install all retroarch onto the usb ext hdd so that you dont have to keep the sd card in the front slot of the wii u ,which i have to take out to install new games .
    2)how do you put the MAME roms do they have to eb in .zip format ???
    thanks

Last edited by boxer29, Dec 3, 2017