Homebrew Wii U Native SNES Emulator?

justinjustins

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Well I don't really want to bash the excellent and amazing work in RetroArch, but I understand the perspective.

I'm an experienced user (though relatively new to the Wii U) and I had some trouble getting RetroArch working. it's still flaky for me... I can load it using the forwarder but not from HBL. Not only that I get into some menu options and then can't get out (themes and appearance). I know I must have some issues with the installation or a bad nightly.

But.. the emulation IS very very good and there are just so many cores available. It's totally worth the time and effort.

That being said I really miss the dedicated emulator user experience. Just the dedicated GUI and plug and play experience. I'd like to be able to have my wife and 9 year old be able to just be able to go in the emulator and play games. SNES GX for the Wii is a good example of this, and for now SNES emulation is pretty much the most important thing to me. Isn't the SNES great? What a software library and legacy! But I digress...

The thing is that I think RetroArch can do much much more... part of the problem is certainly my ignorance but some kind of rich front-end would be a god-send. Stuff that I need to figure out (again many of these are because I lack knowledge and I'm somewhat lazy I guess):

1. Improving the GUI. The PC version has a better GUI. I don't understand why I can only get a weird and terrible washed out white menu system (where text is kind of hard to read) or a green low res font on black background. It sounds like others have been able to fix this, but not me. I'm sure the problem here is somewhere between the chair and the keyboard.

2. Setting up directories. I haven't figured out how to set custom directories for the respective cores.

3. Eliminating cores that I don't care about. I probably don't need or want 5 SNES cores and I'm not likely to play Amstrad CPC games (and others). This is probably dead easy (like delete the files easy) but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

4. Figure out thumbnails. RetroArch seems to have a thumbnail capability... I'd like to have game art and a nice looking chooser, so if that's what this is I'm in. I havent a clue how to make it work. I downloaded the thumbnails package but it doesn't do anything for me.

5. Set up favorites. I sort of have this working. It would be nice if I didn't have to select the core every time.

6. Themes and appearance leave me in a state where I can't back out and I have no options... if I mash a bunch of buttons the Search panel comes up. I can usually get out of search but that's it. Hard boot time every time.

This probably should be in the RetroArch thread but like I said I need to put some time into it.

At least it works for me now!
THIS is all that setup stuff I was talking about that makes retroarch so cumbersome and bad for the average user.

also, i think your white menu system is possibly because you have to download the "assets" package separately (because, of course you do ???). Look at the setting up xmb thingy here https://gbatemp.net/threads/retroarch-wiiu-wip.447670/

bbking67

FAMILY FIRST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
THIS is all that setup stuff I was talking about that makes retroarch so cumbersome and bad for the average user.

also, i think your white menu system is possibly because you have to download the "assets" package separately (because, of course you do ???). Look at the setting up xmb thingy here https://gbatemp.net/threads/retroarch-wiiu-wip.447670/
I downloaded the assets file with no success. also downloaded using the online updater... I think my install is not good.

justinjustins

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I downloaded the assets file with no success. also downloaded using the online updater... I think my install is not good.
If your having the issues with the XMB gui just follow this:

If you get a white screen when you start RetroArch, you're missing the assets package. If you can navigate the white menus, go to "Online Updater" and select "Download Assets". Otherwise, download the assets and extract it to sd:/retroarch/media. The next time you open RetroArch, all should be well.

boxer29

Trophies
XP
Country
just start again. remove the existing one from your sd card and grab a stable version http://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/1.6.7/nintendo/wiiu/RetroArch.7z and then put the contents of the "retroarch-assets-master" folder from the assets zip into sd:/retroarch/media and go from there.
im also struggling to install retroarch of wii u haxchi and CBHC .
i have tried the RPX version but it shows black screen when i run retro arch i have gone by the steps in the tutorial here .
the link which you have give is for the .elf version as all the files are in .elf
i cants seem to find any media folder on the download files after extraction .
can you point me in the right direction
thanks

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
im also struggling to install retroarch of wii u haxchi and CBHC .
i have tried the RPX version but it shows black screen when i run retro arch i have gone by the steps in the tutorial here .
the link which you have give is for the .elf version as all the files are in .elf
i cants seem to find any media folder on the download files after extraction .
can you point me in the right direction
thanks
Hello. Try using the latest nightly for Retroarch. Crashes have been eliminated in the latest nightly. Go to latest Wii U builds and download the most recent date.
RPX is the best one to use. And also install the retroarch channel. Its should be in the basics section. Along with instructions on how to install. Its all in the hyperlink I gave.

Last edited by SG854,

boxer29

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello. Try using the latest nightly for Retroarch. Crashes have been eliminated in the latest nightly. Go to latest Wii U builds and download the most recent date.
RPX is the best one to use. And also install the retroarch channel. Its should be in the basics section. Along with instructions on how to install. Its all in the hyperlink I gave.
i did manage to load the retroarch channel plus the assets into the meida folder ,,its working and the background colour is now red .
2)downloaded a ROM GBA onot the retroarch folder on the sd\retroarch \Nintendo - Game Boy Advance
the GBA rom loads
3)i need to load now a game called pooyan which is a NES game it in the sd\retroarch \Nintendo - Nintendo Entertainment System .After loading the nes core (nestopia) it shows the game on \ sd card but it wont run
3)which core do i have to run there are 5 cores but they are for snex 9x2002 ,snex 9x2005 _plus
should i use these to pay the nes game ,,which core should i use .
thanks

boxer29

Trophies
XP
Country
Is there a way to install all retroarch onto the usb ext hdd so that you dont have to keep the sd card in the front slot of the wii u ,which i have to take out to install new games .
2)how do you put the MAME roms do they have to eb in .zip format ???
thanks

Last edited by boxer29,

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to bump this topic, I don't know where to ask otherwise.

So I've heard about SNES9x 2010 and now I read about a 2017 version.
Is there one for the Wii U?
If not, what is the most accurate emulator on the Wii U?
Is there a channel to install for the emulator on the Wii U?

Thanks. I'm very new to emulation on the Wii U system itself when it comes to native Wii U, not vWii.

september796

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Sorry to bump this topic, I don't know where to ask otherwise.

So I've heard about SNES9x 2010 and now I read about a 2017 version.
Is there one for the Wii U?
If not, what is the most accurate emulator on the Wii U?
Is there a channel to install for the emulator on the Wii U?

Thanks. I'm very new to emulation on the Wii U system itself when it comes to native Wii U, not vWii.

snes9x without number is the latest I think but you can always try the others in case it doesn't work properly.

The 'channel' and pretty much all the information you need is in the retroarch thread.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/retroarch-wiiu-wip.447670/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30