Hardware Wii U launch price. Any thoughts?

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
The price of the console seems right at $300 but the fact that it comes with a very low amount of storage and the basic package doesn't include a pack in game as it is usually one of the selling points of a Nintendo console. Also the fact that controller is rumored to cost around $60 to $70 to manufacture and they're selling it at more than double the cost.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
That is the dumbest fucking logic I have ever read in my entire life. You should be ashamed as if you just failed Kindergarten, 4 times.

I second this. It's like saying that every console should be sold at the lowest price no matter the content offered. Most retarded logic I've ever read.
In his (almost nonexistent) defense, I think he's just saying "how he feels," and not necessarily defending it as logical or sensible. :P

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
That is the dumbest fucking logic I have ever read in my entire life. You should be ashamed as if you just failed Kindergarten, 4 times.

I second this. It's like saying that every console should be sold at the lowest price no matter the content offered. Most retarded logic I've ever read.
In his (almost nonexistent) defense, I think he's just saying "how he feels," and not necessarily defending it as logical or sensible. :P
honestly....I took it all as sarcasm. It seems to me like he's actually making fun of someone who said those things but I guess I could be wrong.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

There is no defense. That's like me saying the PSP at it's current price is waaaaay too expensive because I can go to the bargain store and buy a Tiger electronic toy for 12 dollars.

Reactions: 4 people

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just preordered my wii u from best buy , should have it nov 18th it cost me 370.99 with the sales tax , anyone want to buy it from me for say 800 dollars lmao.
Seriously though , anyone think this will be a run away hit like the first wii?

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Preorder mines this moring. The price is cool. Just look at it as the ps3. At less it didnt cost $600 at launch. So its no biggy on the price.
Also im glad i preorder mines since i got the deluxe and the guys at ebgames said they they only have about 8 left. Each store isnt getting alot of the deluxe models.
PLus i get the nintedo land.
I also already heard that people are preordering ti sell on ebay so hurry up and get yours or your be paying a lot later on.
It will be like the orig wii launch.
People laughing when you ask if they had one in stock lol.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: 2 people

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The limited HDD space is the only fuck up for that price IMO.

If it had came with 40-120 HDD it would have been a pretty sweet deal, but i'm sure they'll get there in a year or 2.

Till then, i'll hold out.

You didn't read what Reggie said about why it's only 8/32GB?
http://www.nintendol...usb_hard_drives
I think his reason is simple enough.
A internal one would cost the system more than a external one anyway. Less moving parts as well.

SinHarvest24

Shiroyasha
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chad
The limited HDD space is the only fuck up for that price IMO.

If it had came with 40-120 HDD it would have been a pretty sweet deal, but i'm sure they'll get there in a year or 2.

Till then, i'll hold out.

You didn't read what Reggie said about why it's only 8/32GB?
http://www.nintendol...usb_hard_drives
I think his reason is simple enough.
I clearly didn't.

Well i guess this really makes the console pretty good over-all.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly. If people actually took the time to read all the info there is on the console, there'd be less flamewars, but, being the internet and all, there's not a snowball's chance in hell of that happening. The comments on YT videos are, well, disparaging to say the least.

Rockym

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just preordered my wii u from best buy , should have it nov 18th it cost me 370.99 with the sales tax , anyone want to buy it from me for say 800 dollars lmao.
Seriously though , anyone think this will be a run away hit like the first wii?

Hard to say at this point. But these sellouts of preorders might be because all the ebay resellers are buying them up. There's already auctions up for them. And they are outright lying in their descriptions. They are actually claiming that the Basic System won't be BC with Wii games so they had better buy their Deluxe system. Bunch of scumbags.

@the_randomizer I have never preordered at walmart so I don't know their policies. However I have a preorder at gamestop.com for my niece and one at target.com for myself and neither has charged my credit card yet. It was stated that it won't be charged until they ship. This is normal on most sites I order from.

Reactions: 1 person

ByteMunch

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Google: 300 US dollars = 184.9227 British pounds sterling
Amazon: WiiU for £249.99 / £299.99
Wat. That looks like a sony currency conversion to me.

EDIT: Just for reference, 250 GBP is 405.5750 USD. £300 is $486.69

leic7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I feel the prices are a bit too expensive. Why? Because I'm one of those folks who has a tendency to judge the current price by comparing it to the lowest price I've seen in the past.

For example, I saw a house on sale for $250,000 ten years ago, so a similar house selling for $350,000 this year is TOO EXPENSIVE... even if everyone else says it's a steal at that price, I will forever compare it to the 250k price point, and not the 400k that everyone keeps telling me is the average current price of a house in that area!

As for the Wii U's price, because I've seen lower prices for consoles before, I will compare it with the lowest, and not with their initial higher launch prices. Therefore, TOO EXPENSIVE.

Oh, then I guess the PS3 and Xbox 360 were reasonably priced back in 2006.
Huh?

@[member='gamefan5']
That rule of "comparing with the lowest price" is only applicable when you're a buyer, obviously. When you're a seller, the rule changes to "comparing with the HIGHEST price". Duh.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I said what I said that, considering the hardware that's in the Wii U, the price is more than justified. People have no right to bitch about the Wii U's $300/350 price tag in 2012 when the Xbox 360 and PS3 were $500/$600 back in 2006, both of which had proprietary hard drives, well, at least with the PS3.

awm8604

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's $50 too much, but I think it'll be perfect for Nintendo because they'll sell out this year, make the extra money, with plenty of time to drop the price before the next Playstation and Xbox.

BIFFTAZ

Trophies
XP
Country
I pre-ordered the Basic 8GB (£259), And I plan to buy a 320GB-500GB portable hard drive (£30-£40) close to release. That's what I call a "Super Elite Wii-U console bundle"...

Deluxe edition.... The accessories & Nintendo land I can do without. The extra 24GB flash memory difference I can make up by adding a 320GB-500GB external portable/desktop HDD.

I have a few Wii sensor bars around here spare, So that's why Im going for the basic model.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I pre-ordered the Basic 8GB (£259), And I plan to buy a 320GB-500GB portable hard drive (£30-£40) close to release. That's what I call a "Super Elite Wii-U console bundle"...

Deluxe edition.... The accessories & Nintendo land I can do without. The extra 24GB flash memory difference I can make up by adding a 320GB-500GB external portable/desktop HDD.

I have a few Wii sensor bars around here spare, So that's why Im going for the basic model.

^This, times over 9000. I bought the basic for the same reason; I already have a 500GB USB HDD, I've no interest in Nintendo Land (getting Assassin's Creed 3 because it reminds me of Splinter Cell in many ways), and I already have a Wii sensor bar. So yeah, I'm pretty much set, and 100% guaranteed to get mine on the 18th or 19th, depending on whether or not I can make it to the midnight launch.

BIFFTAZ

Trophies
XP
Country
The basic model still comes with a wii sensor bar.

Not as far as Im aware. GAME.co.uk (And many other places) are advertising them without. All you get with the basic model (As far as Im aware) is..

Code:
:White 8GB Nintendo Wii U Console and AC Adapter
:White Nintendo Wii U Game Pad and AC Adapter

The Deluxe edition has..

Code:
:Black 32GB Nintendo Wii U Console and AC Adapter
:Black Nintendo Wii U Game Pad and AC Adapter
:Nintendo Wii U Sensor Bar
:A copy of NintendoLand
:HDMI Cable
:Nintendo Premium

EDIT: By the looks of it (Again), Ill also need to get a HDMI lead. No big deal, I also have a few of them around here to...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: BO1 is good, all 3 modes are good in that game