Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's probably not impossible to access the vWii NAND from Wii U mode. The Wii U and vWii NAND chips are just separate banks of the same controller. Also, how would you launch a game in vWii mode if not from a disc? Standard vWii IOS doesn't support anything but that.

Remember the WiiU is solely "in charge" of updating the vWii firmware(ios's), so of course it has vWii nand access.

FPSRussi4

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Maybe nintendo will make new IOSes?

Unlikely since it's been almost 2 years, and gamepad integration was something that was asked about in the start. I also don't believe vWii has been updated all that much, and coding an IOS(especially once to include Gamepad) takes a long time.

The Gameboy-cube

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's probably not impossible to access the vWii NAND from Wii U mode. The Wii U and vWii NAND chips are just separate banks of the same controller. Also, how would you launch a game in vWii mode if not from a disc? Standard vWii IOS doesn't support anything but that.

True I probably wrote that being a little optimistic. However its done, hopefully we can do something with it as it seems to be running wii code whether in vWii mode or something new that just wraps the wii game and uses the wii hardware bits.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Unlikely since it's been almost 2 years, and gamepad integration was something that was asked about in the start. I also don't believe vWii has been updated all that much, and coding an IOS(especially once to include Gamepad) takes a long time.

Maybe it took 2 years to Nintendo? Go figure XD

The Gameboy-cube

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm curious then what they would be using for it assuming its not the true vWii mode. wouldn't they still need a form of IOS to run the game?

FPSRussi4

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I'm curious then what they would be using for it assuming its not the true vWii mode. wouldn't they still need a form of IOS to run the game?

As stated by MN1, they have access to vWii NAND(because the Wii U side is solely in charge of updating vWii firmwares/ios) so who knows.
Maybe it took 2 years to Nintendo? Go figure XD

Well since they haven't patched savegame exploits I don't think they'll really make a new IOS just for gamepad integration. Time will tell though.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
As stated by MN1, they have access to vWii NAND(because the Wii U side is solely in charge of updating vWii firmwares/ios) so who knows.

Well since they haven't patched savegame exploits I don't think they'll really make a new IOS just for gamepad integration. Time will tell though.

Wasn't classic controller games supporting gamepad though?
I read that somewhere in another thread.

FPSRussi4

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos

Is it? I don't know, I'm going off Crediar's word, let me see if I can find his post.

EDIT: it's in this thread, and you're completely right and I misread Crediar. Sorry Crediar.
Also yeah, Reggie said whatever. Can the classic controller be used in Wii U mode?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yes, in the Nintendo Direct, Reggie stated that if the game supported Classic Controllers, you could use the game pad, otherwise, normal Wii remote, nunchuck combo.

Reactions: VinsCool

The Gameboy-cube

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yes they are. but we are saying time will tell, as the 3 announced, smg2, punch out wii, and metroid trilogy don't use the classic controller. So we have to wait for a game that does support it before we see it in action.

shoemaker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes they are. but we are saying time will tell, as the 3 announced, smg2, punch out wii, and metroid trilogy don't use the classic controller. So we have to wait for a game that does support it before we see it in action.

Pandora's Tower and Sin & Punishment use them and were announced, so whichever of those comes out first should be the guinea pig.

The Gameboy-cube

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, exactly.

edit: Oh, I guess linking the timestamp doesn't work. It's right around 10:50

Thanks for the edit I was staring at my screen thinking 'I'm not going to watch all of this...' Nice list they didn't show us any other future titles. Also you guys got a cooler amiibo section then us lol.

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So people are talking shit about me so I may as well make myself clear. People seem to think I'm "socially engineering" the way to get warez. I'm the kind of person who is okay with piracy but is still willing to buy the game and support the developers, but that's never been the main reason I'm doing this. I started with game modding with Super Mario Galaxy 2.5 4+ years ago because I enjoyed it, and that still holds true today. I'm too curious for my own good, all I really want is to be able to mess around with files and make new content. I want to get into games like SM3DW to see how it differs from SMG1/2's filesystem/engine. I would want to mess around with a Reggie that works with NSMBU just to have some fun. I've never been able to fully appreciate CTGPR, but I still would want to help everyone make custom tracks. I try to be as open as possible, but if people are gonna talk behind my back, that I'm not okay with.

Quoting this again so everyone sees because apparently it got swallowed. I'm a game modder, I don't give a shit about warez. End of discussion.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quoting this again so everyone sees because apparently it got swallowed. I'm a game modder, I don't give a shit about warez. End of discussion.

Hey, NWP, there was someone who asked whether or not it would be possible to use the common key to tell which FWs the kernel exploit was patched/still functions in. I'm actually kind of curious if it could, since that would effectively put an end to the offline waiting game (if its found unnecessary for non-developers) and hopefully end the "well what about THIS FW version is that still ok or not?" questions

Edit: ^^ not meant to put you out or redirect your focuses or anything, I'm just curious

Reactions: Rob Barper

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Not as scary as walking in the woods alone, and running into Wario. +1