Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by filfat, Jun 15, 2014.

1. QuarkTheAwesome

QuarkTheAwesome Working for Hugs

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    So, 99%-99.9% chance that it will come out?

:unsure:I suppose nobody mentioned a timeframe...

2. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Sure it'll come out some time. But as to when, sometime between the next hour to the year 2154

suzsuzuki and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  3. Maximilious

Maximilious *whistles his distinct tune*

GBAtemp Patron
    Maximilious is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    I'll take my WiiU to the grave with me in anticipation of IOSU release. My body will be ready.

4. EclipseSin

EclipseSin Ignorant Wizard

Apr 1, 2015
    United Kingdom
    221b Baker Street
    So, to anyone out there still messing with the hardware side... I had my brother help build an SPI Flasher for our UNO to try and repair a bios, it's a little slow but it works. Does anyone have some high quality images (links will work) of the Wii U mainboard (top & bottom preferred) so I don't have to rip mine apart right away? (I'm looking for these too anyways, just wanted to post incase someone has better pics) Or know of anything I can mess with off the bat so I can rip it apart right away?

What he built works with flashrom under linux, but I'm not sure what all chips if any are inside the Wii U with SPI interfaces that might be supported, thus asking for images. Not expecting to actually DO anything, just learn some more still for now. Thanks.

Later~

SirBeethoven, I pwned U! and KiiWii like this.
  5. Bug_Checker_

Bug_Checker_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2006
    United States
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Source:
    https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+Wii+U+Teardown/11796

Last edited by Bug_Checker_, Sep 28, 2016
    I pwned U!, EclipseSin and josamilu like this.
  6. EclipseSin

Apr 1, 2015
    United Kingdom
    221b Baker Street
    @Bug_Checker_ And there is (what looks like anyways, it's a bit blurry. upscaling with waifu now* ) a Macronix chip sitting right there.. Thanks Lol

Last edited by EclipseSin, Sep 28, 2016
    I pwned U!, TotalInsanity4 and KiiWii like this.
  7. JohnathanMonkey

JohnathanMonkey GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 26, 2013
    United States
    What is the SALT teams twitter name?

8. WulfyStylez

WulfyStylez SALT/Bemani Princess

Nov 3, 2013
    United States
    Two things about dumped images, one: you must dump MLC and SLC as a pair, without even restarting your system. Some MLC sectors are cached on SLC since it's faster, and not having both dumped at the same time will give you an unusable dump essentially. Two: I think I've said this in the past but this is only really useful for brick protection, not for downgrading like on the 3DS. tl;dr some meta is stored on SEEPROM and if you restore an old dump some versions won't match and you won't be able to boot. Kinda like soft-efuses in a way, since you can't modify SEEPROM without IOSU access.

Regarding hax progress, our pace has picked up a little bit compared to the last month. UI stuff is coming along well, and I'm presently working on implementing about 3 different features which all require a ton of reverse-engineering. That's been going well so far though. After that there's a lot more user-facing functionality (the Bonus Features) we need for launch, as well as making sure UX is good and stuff Just Works(tm) without much hassle. Once stuff is a bit more coherent and UI is up to snuff I figure we'll do some sorta demo video? Once we're at that point we'll prolly be close to launch anyways and it'll be more appropriate to drum up a bunch of hype, I figure.

9. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Thanks for the status update!

10. Ghassen-ga

Ghassen-ga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 21, 2016
    Just wondering , wouldn't you guys face some sort of legal issues , if you release that ?

11. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Only if it includes proprietary code

12. KungFuzion

KungFuzion GBAtemp Fan

Feb 5, 2015
    hype drum roll on loop till launch lol :) Thanks for the update.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  13. EclipseSin

Apr 1, 2015
    United Kingdom
    221b Baker Street
    @WulfyStylez Thanks for the info on MLC and SLC. I do remember reading something vaguely similar to that about a year ago. The real question this brings up to me is if you could elaborate on dumping them as a pair. I understand you'd need to dump both, but are you saying "as a pair" as in one image using CS and CE (if you know what I mean)?

Last edited by EclipseSin, Sep 29, 2016
  14. Hodge92

Hodge92 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 8, 2013
    United Kingdom
    My body is ready!

15. Maximilious

Maximilious *whistles his distinct tune*

GBAtemp Patron
    Maximilious is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    I vote for a FNAF style release - Post "trailer" video with "release date", and just drop it on the community one day later. But that's just my opinion. It would be a very "mic drop" moment for you all :)

WulfyStylez and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  16. Pienkaito

Pienkaito Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 12, 2016
    Austria
    Were you a staff member? Because I was at several booths and I can't imagine someone just going into the Home Menu and open up the browser with all the people around.

17. Ewpb

Ewpb Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 19, 2013
    Theoretically. I said theoretically.

Could the reason Nintendo hasn't released an update to stop homebrew is because the Wii U has some part to play in the NX infrastructure going forward.

Could a firmware update be released that fills all the exploit holes and leaves a whole new OS running on the old Wii U hardware. Leaving a Wii U sandbox similar to the vWii they already have on the Wii U?

A sandbox in a sandbox 'we have to go deeper' Inception style thing.

Am I being a bit too fantastical?

So many question. Thanks GBAtemp.

Last edited by Ewpb, Sep 29, 2016
    TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  18. QuarkTheAwesome

QuarkTheAwesome Working for Hugs

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    I mean... There's no reason why they couldn't do that; but considering the Wii U's sales numbers I doubt they'd put in the effort.
    Don't forget - no software is without security holes. ;D

the_randomizer likes this.
  19. Chakratos

Chakratos GBAtemp Fan

Aug 17, 2015
    Germany
    But at that time there will be vIOSU ;)
    And IOSX (NX Firmware Hack)

20. ZambieVu

ZambieVu Member

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2016
    I am having a hacked wii u now and it's on 32Gb sd card, I would like to upgrade to 128Gb sd card can anyone please guide me on how to transfer everything there so I can keep my wii u to be hacked. Thank you so much

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted